GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil filter spring? What is this part?

schulwitz

I was changing my oil recently in my 2011 GTI, when the threaded part of the filter detached from the filter itself, and got stuck (just like in this video https://youtu.be/GG0MHctTo0A?t=359). Trying to make sure there were no left over parts, I searched the threads that hold the oil filter in place, and found this large spring. Now I assume this is a part of the car (and not the filter itself), but I can't figure out what it is or what it's officially called. Anyone have any idea?

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
Anti-drain back valve? When the filter is on the spring is compressed and it stops the filter from emptying oil after the engine is turned off?

schulwitz

Must be it.

Anti-drain back valve? When the filter is on the spring is compressed and it stops the filter from emptying oil after the engine is turned off?

That seems like it's got to be it. I'm surprised that I can't find hardly any documentation on this part with a simple google search though. Thanks for the reply!

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
Most oil filters have the anti-drain back valve builtin. Some auto manufacturers build it into the engine. The only way I found out about this was by trying to get an over-sized oil filter for another car. I kept getting warned about this filter or that filter not having an anti-drainback valve. So, I did some research. Basically, it's really not required on any oil filter that's mounted upside down or at an angle such that the oil can't physically drain out of the oil filter and back into the engine. Obviously, with our VW's the filter is right side up and the oil will drain out of the oil filter and back into the engine... an abv is required. VW opted to build it into the engine.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
When you unscrew the filter that thing comes up letting the oil drain out of the housing without dumping oil all over the engine bay. When you screw the filter back down it pushes that back down and closes off the hole so oil circulates how it should instead of draining down.