GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Polo GTI?!??!

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
So I'm in China for two weeks and came across this exhibition.

They are introducing the new Polo GTI.

They had 2 cars there covered up. Wish I took a picture but I did make out Detroits for the wheels.

Doubt we'll get these stateside but pretty cool regardless.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
too small

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
We've had it over here for a while. 1.4 turbocharged and supercharged, 180hp, claimed 6.9 0-60, DSG only. Wheels are 17" Monzas instead of 18" (they call them Detroits in the US). Looks pretty cool but it's expensive - I specced one up with a few sensible options and it was only £3k short of a proper GTI. Try playing with the UK configurator on www.volkswagen.co.uk (you'll also see all of the tiny engined Golf variants that we get).

Tech72

Ready to race!
too small

Smaller than a proper GTI. But would take one over a comparable......Yaris, 2, Fit, Smart, IQ, Sonic, Fiesta, etc.

GTmyI

Ready to race!
Smaller than a proper GTI. But would take one over a comparable......Yaris, 2, Fit, Smart, IQ, Sonic, Fiesta, etc.

Agree! If you were looking for WRX, Evo/Lancer, Forcus/Hatchback/ST etc... you look at GTI

If you are in the market for Yaris, Fit, Fiesta... etc.. Polo GTI is for sure a good choice

BTW Have you guys seen the Fiesta ST? Pretty damn sick lol

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I've sat in the Polo a few times, plenty roomy inside. Had they been sold in the US at the time I purchased my GTI, I would have considered buying one. These are real popular in Europe and Australia.

Tech72

Ready to race!
I just wouldn't be comfortable driving around a 1.4.. :iono:

Nothing wrong with a Polo GTI. The 1.4 TSI makes a solid 178hp compared to our 200hp, but in a smaller and lighter package. It's only a nudge slower than the GTI. If that's still not enough, wait for the 2013 Polo R with a 2.0 TSI @ 217hp. This one will embarrass the GTI. VW is going WRC'ing starting in 2013using the Polo, not GTI.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/05/new-volkswagen-polo-r-wrc-street-with.html

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^Some people don't understand displacement and potential of modern engines.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Thought I read somewhere that the current Polo is actually bigger than a MKI Golf, but I'm too tired/lazy to look up the specs. Anyone confirm or deny?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Thought I read somewhere that the current Polo is actually bigger than a MKI Golf, but I'm too tired/lazy to look up the specs. Anyone confirm or deny?

Yes it is. And a current Civic is larger than the original Accord. Its the evolution of autos...