GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Searching for a mail route vehicle

Kenny kustom

Passed Driver's Ed
Nothing to tension the " belt"
Washers, wipers...
I'm glad you live far far away from me.
Please don't drive that on a public road. You will kill someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenny kustom

Passed Driver's Ed
I want her to have A/C and RHD. Factory RHD would be nice or I can do a conversion as long as she doesn't have to reach across the car. I figured if I wouldn't wanna do it she shouldn't have to, so safety, comfort, and reliability are top three priorities.

You missed the first priority by a country mile.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How so? Simple mechanical linkage isn't safe for a jeep but it's safe for flight control linkage on every aircraft (excluding fly by wire, which would really have you shitting your pants)? Or unsafe because I didn't buy it from a website or the dealership? I wasnt paying 7x kbb value for a beat to shit factory RHD.

The belt is tensioned by sliding the base plate (which is notched) and held with 3/8 grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

There are venders who sell DIY kits for crazy money or they'll install said kits for a few hundred bucks if you bring the jeep to them

http://www.postalthings.com

As for wipers once they're on how often do you really adjust them? I had three days to finish this project from the day I bought it and that was during my night shift work week. Washer fluid is the least of my worries we live in SC...so not shitty salt covered roads to need it.

Last edited:

Kenny kustom

Passed Driver's Ed
You know, the jeep floor is as thin as a sheet of paper.
Hey, it's your wife's life.

Swing that xj by your local state troopers office.. see what they think of that.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
How so? Simple mechanical linkage isn't safe for a jeep but it's safe for flight control linkage on every aircraft (excluding fly by wire, which would really have you shitting your pants)? Or unsafe because I didn't buy it from a website or the dealership? I wasnt paying 7x kbb value for a beat to shit factory RHD.

The belt is tensioned by sliding the base plate (which is notched) and held with 3/8 grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

There are venders who sell DIY kits for crazy money or they'll install said kits for a few hundred bucks if you bring the jeep to them

http://www.postalthings.com

As for wipers once they're on how often do you really adjust them? I had three days to finish this project from the day I bought it and that was during my night shift work week. Washer fluid is the least of my worries we live in SC...so not shitty salt covered roads to need it.
It may or may not be safe but whether or not it's legal is something else altogether. Also wondering about liability of she ,god forbid, has an accident.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Those Conversion kits look about the same as quart you did. From the pictures, they don't move the light switches and signals.
If they are legal and commercially available, can't see why yours isn't.

Kenny kustom

Passed Driver's Ed
Those Conversion kits look about the same as quart you did. From the pictures, they don't move the light switches and signals.
If they are legal and commercially available, can't see why yours isn't.

Who says " they " are legal?

How the hell do you turn the signal on?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is some of the scariest shit I have seen, and I'm a former auto tech, now auto instructor....

Please just set it on [emoji91]

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Good point. No idea.

[/How the hell do you turn the signal on?

Hand signals out the window is a legal alternative, at least in Texas.

In rural areas, probably will never need blinkers anyway.
Wonder how it'll do when inspection time rolls around though.

Attachments

• handsignals111.jpg
    handsignals111.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 319

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The post office does a monthly and initial inspection. RHD conversions are 100% legal as thousands operate daily for this exact use with USPS.

Ive driven the jeep at least 100 miles since completing the swap and if I'm in town I'll reach over to use the turn signal...no big deal, but eventually I might do a simple linkage for it like the bolt on kits.

While on route she'll have her 24 LED strobe light on and hazard lights flashing

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

How the hell do you turn the signal on?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is some of the scariest shit I have seen, and I'm a former auto tech, now auto instructor....

Please just set it on [emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Well Mr. Auto tech, you're coming off as one. I'm an aircraft mechanic for a major airline and our inspectors who buy off my work there couldn't find anything unsafe about my conversions function.

I would say the federal government (USPS) allowing RHD conversions on personally owned rural vehicles would be be a pretty good indication that they're legal. And like I said, for now I've been reaching across for the turn signal when I need it...all of the work done was completed in a three day span, two of them being my night shift work days. So sorry if the turn signal linkage to make it in easier reach from the RH side wasn't my priority

Last edited:

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I think the quality of the work looks good just not sure if it's legal. Will the Post office "sign off " on the conversion for a little cya?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not sure what cya is but there's several converted CRV and Cherokee just around here they signed off on. I drove it to work the night I finished it then met my wife at her training with it to trade her for the Gti. The driving instructor there and a few other people were looking at it and took my number to give out since they're in such high demand. Not sure if Id have time to build more but there's definitely a market for them