GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The amount of BMW owners on here is TOO DAMN HIGH! #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
The obvious allure of motorcycles is the danger factor. The problem is when people ignore that factor and push the risk higher by being stupid. Most bad or fatal motorcycle accidents are from the rider doing something stupid. It's always fun scraping your loved one off the pavement with a shovel.

Darwinism + physics = motorcycles

I agree with part of this, but I also think a lot of the bad accidents are from the rider trying to avoid a much worse situation.

I didn't buy the motorcycle because it was fast and dangerous, I bought it because I really enjoy riding and taking a back road with 2 wheels is so appealing. Just like a car, it's not all about going fast in a straight line. Taking corners properly, learning how to lean a bike to get a knee on the ground, knowing how to adjust your style based on factors (passengers, gas tank level, road conditions, time away from a bike, etc) make it a great thing to ride. It really creates a true skilled driving experience because you have to really know what you're doing, and learning and getting better over time makes it so much more appealing

I see more from motorcycles than any of the others, except elderly falls. :laugh:

Definitely more debilitating injuries from them as well. Cars are very safe nowadays. They are taking the fun out of running a seemingly good car accident for us. :(

I got no issues with other people riding them, RESPONSIBLY. However, most do not. You may, but not always. Let's face it, people buy motorcycles because they are fast and it is a rush to ride them. I know how I drive a car.... I would kill myself on a motorcycle.

I am not talking about danger that is out of our control, because that would be asinine to worry about. I would never leave the house if that were the case. I am talking about putting myself in dangerous situations. No way I could trust myself to have the restraint on a motorcycle. Therefore, I do not ride.

If you can't swim, stay out of the pool!

I think that is the important part. Knowing that you personally could not trust yourself is one important factor. I respect your decision and thoughts on it

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Nobody is wrong in the motorcycle debate. They are inherently dangerous, and plenty of people who shouldn't own one do. I've got an R6 that I ride somewhat aggressively at times, but I've also got a decade worth of dirt biking under my belt. There are a lot of riders that have no experience reaching for the liter bike for their first ride. I think the biggest danger is other drivers on the road, especially the cellphone obsessed teenage girl, or the elderly. Falling off the motorcycle isn't what hurts or kills you, if you are wearing gear, it's the other objects you hit. One of the safest guys I know got killed by someone making an unsafe left turn in front of him, he had no chance. It's understandable why people have an aversion to them, they are dangerous. But that's also what makes them fun.

balius

Go Kart Champion

Sister and her husband are graduating from BYU. Yesterday there was a school-wide ceremony, and today they did smaller ones broken into different divisions where they actually walked across the stage.

balius

Go Kart Champion
Also, I called the dealer and I'm going to pick up some touch-up paint after work. My trip down South a 3 weekends ago left me with 5-6 deep rock chips and I don't want them to rust. Any suggestions or tips on applying the paint?

Dab, don't brush.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
For those that do ride motorcycles and own the so called "crotch rockets", why did you choose that over a cruiser type motorcycle if speed is not your primary reason for having a motorcycle in the first place?

I know why I chose my car over a Prius or even the 6 cyl version of my car.... I would assume the same principle applies to motorcycles.

xan

Ready to race!
LOL, this is awesome.

Hatnin?

Edit: Hi Jenn!
Very awesome. Also, another guy with a girl name? sup with that

The worst are the ego-idiots with those 200mph crotch rockets. Several people I've known have been killed doing dumb shit on them. They think they're invincible.
Darwinism at its finest. If it wasn't a motorcycle it'd be something else. Dumb people are just dumb and you can't take that away from them.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
For those that do ride motorcycles and own the so called "crotch rockets", why did you choose that over a cruiser type motorcycle if speed is not your primary reason for having a motorcycle in the first place?

I know why I chose my car over a Prius or even the 6 cyl version of my car.... I would assume the same principle applies to motorcycles.

Speed and performance was the primary reason. Sport bikes are super agile compared to cruisers.

09vdubgti

Banned
Also, I called the dealer and I'm going to pick up some touch-up paint after work. My trip down South a 3 weekends ago left me with 5-6 deep rock chips and I don't want them to rust. Any suggestions or tips on applying the paint?

Did you pay for the touch up paint already? I didn't have much success when I bought the oem touch up paint, it didn't blend well, you could tell its been touched up when you look closely at it. I'd recommend Dr. Color Chip instead.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php
LY3D/G2 is your color code

formul8

My GLI farts
This is an issue with the RIDER not the machine. Not all riders are "ego-idiots" or "think they're invincible".

True, but all the dead motorcycle riders I knew were on street legal race bikes doing something stupid. I see just as many dick moves by people on Harleys as on crotch rockets, though.

This ^

Darwinism at its finest. If it wasn't a motorcycle it'd be something else. Dumb people are just dumb and you can't take that away from them.

Motorcycles just speed up the process.

I'm not anti-motorcycle, just anti idiot-on-a-motorcycle and there tends to be plenty of them.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion

Cruisers are great for they're purpose...which is cruising. Sure they have 1500cc's but they also weight as much as my GTI (exaggerating). Cruisers are not nearly as nimble or as light as sport bikes. They are meant to get you from point A to point B with comfort, not necessarily enjoyment. That's why I prefer a sport bike (sport tourer and standards) over cruisers and regular tourers.

Did you pay for the touch up paint already? I didn't have much success when I bought the oem touch up paint, it didn't blend well, you could tell its been touched up when you look closely at it. I'd recommend Dr. Color Chip instead.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php
LY3D/G2 is your color code

I haven't paid for it yet, but this is good to know. Would it still look bad if I had a friend do it?

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Buy a bike. Totally worth it

Oh I will, but given my dad said he'd disown me if I do, it'll be a while.

It went really well! Cliff notes:
- made it to the trails and figured out which one we wanted to do
- followed the trail to a preserve at the end. It was incredibly peaceful, no sound other than the wind and trees creaking
- sat on one of the logs at the camp grounds at the preserve and chatted for a while
- She got cold so I gave her my jacket like a gentleman
- chatted for a while longer
- after about an hour and a half, we decided to head back and I pulled up one of the geocaches I had saved
- followed the trail back, which also led us along to where the cache was. Found it off the side of the trail at the base of a triple-trunk tree (looked pretty cool, FWIW). It ended up going coordinates to another part. Since she was cold, I said we'd have to come back to finish it and she seemed to like that idea
- I was hungry so I asked her if she wanted to keep the date going longer and grab some dinner. She said yes
- went to get Thai food. I ordered chicken drunken noodles and she ordered crunchy puffy fish. Both were delicious
- went to drop her off at her apartment. She invited me in
- had a couple glasses of wine and watched the Internship
- ended up hanging out there for a couple more hours and had a really good time. No sexy time though (which I didn't want on the first date anyway)

All in all, easily my longest first date ever but I was a wonderful time so it didn't even seem like that long when I left.

The kicker, my CEL started flashing and my car shaking on the way home so I had to crash at my parents place (opposite side of town as nurse date) since I probably wouldn't have made it back to my place. Made for a good laugh when I woke up this morning and my mom asked me why I was there and why I got there at 1:30 in the morning. :lol:

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Super awesome, glad it went well man.

glad that you had a successful date my panda express friend. sounds like you have a bad coilpack.

Agree on probably coilpack

Can I accidentally brush my dick down your throat when we meet?

Thats a bit forward... but if the answer is a yes...

Good Morning Blessed OT!

Yesterday's Overload was done with the inspiration of boredom and monotony of the desk world. Meetings, work, phone calls and things that really just need to get done so you keep making money. With the need to constantly go to work, pay bills and being an adult, it is important to remember to take time for yourself. With that in mind, today's overload is...

Hobbies, Vacation and Relaxation!

Very nice overload, I shortened it to not be a douche.

These videos will explain in more detail than you would ever want to know how to properly touch up paint. I am going to try to fix several chips and scratches in my paint soonish, just haven't got around to it yet. Sorry I don't remember exactly where within the videos the information you're looking for is but:

The last video is probably the one to watch if you're only to watch one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEhsuO2cKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QAjWbx03s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

Good morning OT

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
These videos will explain in more detail than you would ever want to know how to properly touch up paint. I am going to try to fix several chips and scratches in my paint soonish, just haven't got around to it yet. Sorry I don't remember exactly where within the videos the information you're looking for is but:

The last video is probably the one to watch if you're only to watch one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEhsuO2cKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QAjWbx03s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

Good morning OT

Thank you!! I appreciate it!

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
False. The "allure" of motorcycles to me isn't the fact that isn't dangerous. Maybe it is for others, but motorcycling gives me a kind of driving experience that I can't get from a car. It's like flying. It's freeing. When I'm on a motorcycle, it's me and the machine between my legs (giggity). No cell phones, radio (unless I have my iPod in), only me and my thoughts. It's an excape. Go ahead and use drugs with the hipsters at Coachella. I'll stick to my motorcycle.

This. OMG this. I do trust myself to have restraint, OR not to do something stupid. I'm a good driver, on 2 wheels or 4. Motorcycling has made me a better car driver, because on a motorcycle, I have to look out for myself 424052348975x more.

It's all about personal preference, and I wish others would realize that. I'm not talking directly to you, NEEK because you have the concept, but for others: it's not my problem that I am more capable of doing something you don't trust yourself to do. If you think you'll be reckless, have at it, but I'm not. Period.

Ok, off this soap box now.

I completely with Jenn. I have become a much better driver and see just how bad people are. When you are out in the open there is so much more to realize about the habits of people are getting progressively worse mainly because people aren't driving manual cars and things are starting to be done for them (lane assist, auto driving, etc). If more people would pay attention in the states, driving wouldn't be as dangerous

The worst are the ego-idiots with those 200mph crotch rockets. Several people I've known have been killed doing dumb shit on them. They think they're invincible.

I drive a super sport and don't think I'm invincible and don't act like I am

This is an issue with the RIDER not the machine. Not all riders are "ego-idiots" or "think they're invincible".

This. Just like cars, a few bad riders don't define the entire population

Make sure it's clean and take your time is really what I see is the most important

formul8

My GLI farts
False. The "allure" of motorcycles to me isn't the fact that isn't dangerous. Maybe it is for others, but motorcycling gives me a kind of driving experience that I can't get from a car. It's like flying. It's freeing. When I'm on a motorcycle, it's me and the machine between my legs (giggity). No cell phones, radio (unless I have my iPod in), only me and my thoughts. It's an excape. Go ahead and use drugs with the hipsters at Coachella. I'll stick to my motorcycle.

You just reinforced my point.

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
I want a motorcycle myself, but don't trust myself on one because of how I drive; as well as the people in cars that would be around me. While I'll probably have one eventually, the risks involved when riding scare me still, and because I'd be so defensive when riding, I couldn't enjoy it. The thing that prevented me getting one right out of high school years ago was my uncles accident. He'd been riding for 30+ years with nothing more than a few minor spills, and then one morning going to work on his bike, he got hit by a full size truck that wasn't paying attention. The force threw him from the bike, totaled it out and broke his back. He recovered, but he's not been the same, and it cost him his job with the National Guard because he can no longer lift much weight, sit or stand for long periods of time. He was medically discharged several years ago now and can't do a lot of what he used to love doing because of the pain it causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.