GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Cool man, good luck. Any CEL back on?
Unfortunately one just came on. And based off what my app says, I think it's a new VAG-specific one
15902567875512007223499989699971.jpg
Screenshot_20200523-114928.png

Normally, Torque Pro "historic faults" don't trip CEL. They're like the intermittent faults we were talking about. Torque Pro won't show me VAG-specific faults, though, so I think there's one of those.
I think I need to get an OBDeleven along this trip, but I'll need to plan where I'm going to be a week in advance, find a place to take delivery, and find $80 to spare. I have $1200 total for the rest of the trip (plus all the parts after the trip, like a new tensioner and brakes) including gas, and I'll need to consider the fact that I might need new tires before the end of the trip. I could prob do without OBDeleven as long as there's forum members along the way that can check any faults I might have.
Headed back to Denver is an option, but I'm losing out on all these roads in the Rockies because they lead me to Colorado Springs.
I'm pulled over, gonna take a minute to plan things out

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
@1ashchuckton the road to the road to Mt Evans (Squaw Pass Rd) is where I stayed with those amazing sights. Absolutely unreal. Unfortunately Mt Evans is closed, which doesn't give me high hopes for Pikes Peak...

Damn that sucks. There so many great pass roads out there, but your GTI is not suitable for them. Maybe trade it in for a nice 4Runner. ;)

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Damn that sucks. There so many great pass roads out there, but your GTI is not suitable for them. Maybe trade it in for a nice 4Runner. ;)
If you think I won't thrash this thing down a back road like I'm rallying you're in for a rude, hilarious awakening.
When winter comes around I'd go to Mt Snow, and it always lead me down a dirt road. I'd send it at 70, whether it's covered in dirt, mud, or snow.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ive hit those fire roads with survey and forestry crews. The only thing that will make it on those roads is a trail rated Jeep wrangler 4x4. If i lived up there above 8k i would definitely own one.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Speaking of offroading, I just tried to crack my oil pan doing some sketchy dirt - scratch that, rock roads. But I survived.
However for the past day or so I've been getting weird hangups on my throttle when I go to shift up. Unless I'm under heavy acceleration, the throttle will stick - and sometimes accelerate a few dozen RPMs - and hold for about a second and a half before letting go. Not sure what's going on there. I thought I was imagining it yesterday but I'm seeing it a lot

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Dont bust your oil pan. At the level youre pushing your car going up and down switch backs hundreds of miles etc. If you bust your pan bad enough you may seize the engine before your oil level light or temp gauge show any warning. Just FWIW.

btw I checked my invoice and I paid 72 through ecs for the obdeleven. Keep in mind there are 2 generations now. This is for the 'first' gen.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Also, the jack he bought from NAPA truly is defective. I couldnt believe it myself even as I pumped the thing up. I even went inside and fetched my small walmart jack rated the same as his and with the same design and it lifted the car no problem. I believe the jack he bought was under filled with oil, or sat long enough on the shelf that it leaked some out, i dunno, it just felt under pressurized.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
@KollinWithaK you work with Uro, right? Do you know how long shipping typically takes to ABQ? Also to Las Vegas? It'd be ideal to get it in Austin, but I'm going to be there in 2 days. I figure I'll be in ABQ in 4 or 5, Vegas in 5-7

Second gen OBD11 is going to be iOS capable, it could already be available at the moment not sure. I don't keep up with it much though ever since I made the switch to android.

Something to keep in mind is the office/warehouse is closed on Monday for the holiday, so your order won't ship till Tuesday, if you do order through us. It'll come directly from the warehouse here in Tampa, so looks like best guess to Vegas is on Friday (5/29) using USPS. Gotta keep in mind that all shipping companies are backed up and this will be a post-holiday week. Austin won't happen. Vegas would probably be the best bet if you can lock down a spot. I can try to push your order through on Tuesday as well if you get in touch with one of my sales guy, as I only do web design/management and customer service temporarily. Let me know man, link is here.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Ive hit those fire roads with survey and forestry crews. The only thing that will make it on those roads is a trail rated Jeep wrangler 4x4. If i lived up there above 8k i would definitely own one.

I spent a week driving pass roads out there in my 1988 4 Runner. Using common sense I had no issues driving the roads I chose to. There were roads I wouldn't tackle. Too far from home to sustain vehicle damage.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Also, the jack he bought from NAPA truly is defective. I couldnt believe it myself even as I pumped the thing up. I even went inside and fetched my small walmart jack rated the same as his and with the same design and it lifted the car no problem. I believe the jack he bought was under filled with oil, or sat long enough on the shelf that it leaked some out, i dunno, it just felt under pressurized.

Those jacks are beyond bad. I've been wrenching on cars for 54 years. In all those years I've had one jack fail. Yes it was one just like that NAPA jack. Thankfully Dad taught me me how to work safely & I'm here to tell the tail.

I'd advise stopping at a Harbor Freight & picking up one of their 1.5 ton race jacks. They work well I've had one for 10 years or so. It's light enough that when I travel I put in the boot & bring it along. No way I'm using that oem VW monstrosity.

The one you have may need to be bled. Not uncommon for a new jack. Even if you can bleed it it's not a safe jack.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion