Attn NORCAL: Group Meet and $50 Dyno Service on a Mustang Dyno in Sacramento

Please indicate your preferred Saturday date for this event

• Total voters

PeeLo801

Ready to race!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Man, there were that many no shows?!?!?

Sorry I missed it, maybe we can try again after the holidays. I should have my meth injection installed by then and will need to do some dyno runs with and without the meth spraying to see what I am gaining.

Man, can't beleive it's been like 2 weeks since I have signed in, first chance I have had to sit and THINK since being deployed to NY (Long Island City/Brooklyn to be precise) to help handle the claims from Sandy.

I fly home on the 29th, can't wait to sleep in my own bed again, and see my GTI. Man, been slumming it in a POS Chevy HHR. First thing Saturday I am taking the GTI out for a nice drive. :D

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Man, there were that many no shows?!?!?

Sorry I missed it, maybe we can try again after the holidays. I should have my meth injection installed by then and will need to do some dyno runs with and without the meth spraying to see what I am gaining.

Man, can't beleive it's been like 2 weeks since I have signed in, first chance I have had to sit and THINK since being deployed to NY (Long Island City/Brooklyn to be precise) to help handle the claims from Sandy.

I fly home on the 29th, can't wait to sleep in my own bed again, and see my GTI. Man, been slumming it in a POS Chevy HHR. First thing Saturday I am taking the GTI out for a nice drive. :D

No need for apologies man. Shoot, if anything, you were helping with people's livelihood after a natural disaster. I would never apologize for missing a dyno/meet to participate in that...I just hope no one's claims were turned down (apart from the ridiculous ones) :thumbsup:

If you read what I posted, i'm rather disappointed in my numbers (210 whp, 250ft/tq). GIAC advertises much higher numbers on a mustang dyno with similar mods, so I wonder what gives. But i'm too busy to make any effort to contact GIAC for an explanation. I can't complain about the cost either as the shop owner was still nice enough to honor the $50 price even though 33% of people showed up.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nothing to turn down in Auto claims in these cases. Salt water entered the passenger compartment = totalled. And we pretty much assumed any reasonable damages tot he exterior and interior were done in the storm and so no deductions taken for conditions.

The home claims are different, normal insurance doesn't cover flood to homes, you need to buy flood insurance, and a lot of people didn't have it. That sucks.

Yeah, 210WHP is disappointing. What does GIAC claim you should be at? APR says 278 at the crank which should be around 240ish at the wheels so I was really looking forward to seeing how close I was to that.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Yeah, 210WHP is disappointing. What does GIAC claim you should be at? APR says 278 at the crank which should be around 240ish at the wheels so I was really looking forward to seeing how close I was to that.

Well according to this link on their website, it would be at 241whp/286ft-tq on 91 octane for stage 2 with similar mods I have on a Mustang Dyno. The AWE website lists +38 wheel hp and +40 wheel torque just for stage 1 alone. :iono:

JT64 is APR stage 2 with similar mods as you and he recorded 201whp/246FtTq so i'm thinking you would've gotten similar results.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hhhhmmmm.........might explain a little about why Poweredbyg60 was able to leave me in the dust at the track in his stock GTI.....LOL

Seems really crappy if all the money for stage 2 only results in 14 horsepower. Lol

Are you both DSGs?? Isn't there something about the DSG allowing slip to reduce power unless it is flashed add well......or its that just forum hogwash? Because seriously, 14HP is just stupid. But it also comes down to how it drives, I know I've driven mine in stock mode and then switched to the tune and it its noticeable.....and that's more than 14 horsepower.

I'm going to earn plenty of money in overtime from this trip to complete my direct port meth injection system. Let me see when I can get that installed by because money is only half of the equation the other half is finding time to do it. Then let's plan to go out again and see what we find. :)

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Seems really crappy if all the money for stage 2 only results in 14 horsepower. Lol

Are you both DSGs?? Isn't there something about the DSG allowing slip to reduce power unless it is flashed add well......or its that just forum hogwash? Because seriously, 14HP is just stupid. But it also comes down to how it drives, I know I've driven mine in stock mode and then switched to the tune and it its noticeable.....and that's more than 14 horsepower.

I'm DSG, he's manual. I'm still confused about the benefits of a DSG flash to be completely honest. I'm more interested in an upgraded intercooler and retrofitting the traction control button to turn it off.

I really don't know how to explain the dyno results. It was my first time doing that, but John (the shop owner) mentioned that dynojets would be much more generous in hp numbers because they allow shops to tweak it so as to yield higher numbers and thus keep customers happy with mods. I didn't ask but if dyno jets could be tweaked, I was wondering if mustang dynoes could be as well (cough GIAC cough).

Regardless, J ohnkept heaping praise about the numbers we got as he seemed to be quite impressed with both of our cars. He kept insisting that our numbers were really impressive given that it's a mustang dyno and that we're sporting 2 liter 4 bangers DDs. :laugh:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah I'm not really interested in a dyno result that has been tweaked to make it look better on paper. If the Mustangs results are accurate and that's all I care about.

Like I said the key really is driveability, but it's just hard to correlate the results when you have one run at stock and one run at stage 2 and only 14 horsepower separating them. Realistically you won't be able to feel 14 horsepower, and yet there is a clear feeling difference from stock to stage 2.

Oh well I still want to get mine up there eventually and get some baseline logs.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I'm DSG, he's manual. I'm still confused about the benefits of a DSG flash to be completely honest. I'm more interested in an upgraded intercooler and retrofitting the traction control button to turn it off.

I really don't know how to explain the dyno results. It was my first time doing that, but John (the shop owner) mentioned that dynojets would be much more generous in hp numbers because they allow shops to tweak it so as to yield higher numbers and thus keep customers happy with mods. I didn't ask but if dyno jets could be tweaked, I was wondering if mustang dynoes could be as well (cough GIAC cough).

Regardless, J ohnkept heaping praise about the numbers we got as he seemed to be quite impressed with both of our cars. He kept insisting that our numbers were really impressive given that it's a mustang dyno and that we're sporting 2 liter 4 bangers DDs. :laugh:

The DSG flash pretty much just changes the characteristics of the tranny. So the Red Line is moved a little higher up, Launch Control Revs Higher, and Shift Points have been adjusted in D and S mode. Lastly you see what gear you are in on the MDI screen so S3 for Sport Mode 3rd gear for example.

TBH dyno numbers only mean so much. Its kinda like overclocking your computer. What do you really do it for? Not the numbers but the ability to run a faster clock speed. IMHO as long as you are running quicker than a stock GLI and it feels faster I don't think you need to see the numbers. If you are really searching for high numbers I think your better off with a custom tune vs a shelf made tune.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Hhhhmmmm.........might explain a little about why Poweredbyg60 was able to leave me in the dust at the track in his stock GTI.....LOL

I'm going to earn plenty of money in overtime from this trip to complete my direct port meth injection system. Let me see when I can get that installed by because money is only half of the equation the other half is finding time to do it. Then let's plan to go out again and see what we find. :)

Hmm if your stage 2 is only making 14hp over stock I figure I might be able to beat you in a drag. :laugh: My spare tire is not in the car and with DSG I can shift quicker than you!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
TBH dyno numbers only mean so much. Its kinda like overclocking your computer. What do you really do it for? Not the numbers but the ability to run a faster clock speed.

Yeah, but the difference is when I boost my CPU to 4.2Ghz, the numbers in the benchmark tests CONFIRMS 4.2 Ghz and massive performance increase.

This is like overclocking to 4.5Ghz and getting results only 5% more than the bone stock 3.2Ghz CPU. :)

Hmm if your stage 2 is only making 14hp over stock I figure I might be able to beat you in a drag. :laugh: My spare tire is not in the car and with DSG I can shift quicker than you!

I'm not normally a drag guy, but maybe after I get new tires we can try it out. :D I know you're cheater DSG will beat me 0-60, but after that....... ;)

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, but the difference is when I boost my CPU to 4.2Ghz, the numbers in the benchmark tests CONFIRMS 4.2 Ghz and massive performance increase.

This is like overclocking to 4.5Ghz and getting results only 5% more than the bone stock 3.2Ghz CPU. :)

Yea it is nice to see a quantitative aspect put onto the mods. Otherwise you'll never have a rough benchmark of how your car stacks up against others.

I'm not normally a drag guy, but maybe after I get new tires we can try it out. :D I know you're cheater DSG will beat me 0-60, but after that....... ;)

Well I guess it's time for me to gut the interior! Haha DSG is not cheating I'm just using my resources :p My friend was telling me about this one guy that gutted his stock gti and used a bunch of lightweight parts and was able to get a 3.5second 0-60mph time. That sounds a little excessive to me. I could see shaving off .5 seconds tops with weight reduction unless you're chopping off the roof. I would like to meet this guy though.

Just out of curiosity do you ever get instances where the car feels like its not making any boost? I was driving around town this weekend and when I floored it, it felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I was in 4th gear at 40mph so it couldn't have been the gearing, traction was off, and ambient temperature was like 68 degrees. Driving the car today and yesterday it felt like there was nothing wrong though. I see people with boost gauges but how often is there a boost leak to where you need to check it?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Only time I ever had that was after my 10k service the dealership for some reason switched me into stock mode. LOL I had to pull over a few blocks away and made sure they hadn't flashed over my tune for some reason and reset it into the 91 octane map, then all was fine.

I use the Torque Pro app to monitor my boost and other data all the time. I'll get a real boost gauge eventually, but for now it is good enough to notice a boost issue if one arises.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Only time I ever had that was after my 10k service the dealership for some reason switched me into stock mode. LOL I had to pull over a few blocks away and made sure they hadn't flashed over my tune for some reason and reset it into the 91 octane map, then all was fine.

I use the Torque Pro app to monitor my boost and other data all the time. I'll get a real boost gauge eventually, but for now it is good enough to notice a boost issue if one arises.

Are you going to the 2Bennett grand opening party on Saturday?