Review - Depo LED Tails

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I have no issues with mine as of today

uploadfromtaptalk1397691211263.jpg

butchered by autocorrecr

nino_e92

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice to hear!! I received my tails and I'm planning to install them really soon!
It's raining now and to morrow too so I can't do it for now:(
Meanwhile I'm color matching my side markers:D (sorry for the off topic)

MyStro023

Ready to race!
You know I was actually thinking that the strip needs LED's to match the taillights. It's a little weird that the tails turn on to maximum brightness immediately, but the center strip takes at least a third of a second to turn on. Makes the lights look a little out of place. You're right though, it also needs to be monochrome. I just wouldn't tint over it since the dim/max brightness difference of the taillights isn't enough for me to be comfortable getting rid of other indicators.

Maybe I'll break open the tails to find a way to get that transition to be more drastic.

First off - thanks for the video and everything. You convinced me months ago about the look, I got a pair for the holidays and already have them installed. People here already commented to me about how clean the rear looks with the black smoke tails. I'm going to matte black the emblem this weekend with a red insert as well (I hope).

Also, did you ever find a solution for the top brake lamp?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Love the look on CSG. I didn't treat the top brake light, I actually went with dark cherry later on (red) because there was a little color mismatch on BMP.

GOODS

Ready to race!
Looks super clean!

MyStro023

Ready to race!
Need to smoke the 3rd brake light but other than that im very happy with my smoked copper taillights.got em off ecs but they do need coding.

That 3rd brake light is killing me now. I need it smoked! LOL

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, they're cellphone pics. I'm too lazy to upload the REAL pictures just yet ;)

View attachment 31864
View attachment 31865
Color is pretty good. If anything they're a bit magenta in hue, but being red-on-black I'm far less bothered by the color; if it hadn't been for my previous experience with the black smoke I wouldn't have noticed. In the right light the white strips at the bottom appear red, though most of the time they look clear.

I also took a headlight restoration kit to the burrs/flash on the edge. As you can see, if untreated they're noticable even with the hatch closed.
View attachment 31866
View attachment 31869

After the kit, the only trace left are some of the deeper imperfections. Plus, with the polish, I could remove that minor surface marring.
View attachment 31867
View attachment 31870

butchered by autocorrect

Just ordered my smoke black depos. Rethinking the color after seeing this, but I want to remove the red from the back of the car.

MyStro023

Ready to race!
Just ordered my smoke black depos. Rethinking the color after seeing this, but I want to remove the red from the back of the car.

All duplicates have some quality issues. Look back to my post for CSG with Black Smokes. The look is very clean. Actually... I'll post a different shot.

With LED turns (deautokey) and LED reverse lights (bold-sport). Both are no-error and have no resistor boxes.

NOTE: ALL LEDs work - this looks strange due to the LED cycle rate versus my wonderful cell camera. You cannot see the refresh in eye. They just have a cycle like all LEDs.

Also with matte black emblem and red vinyl insert.

Last edited:

cosmo10292

Ready to race!
All duplicates have some quality issues. Look back to my post for CSG with Black Smokes. The look is very clean. Actually... I'll post a different shot.

With LED turns (deautokey) and LED reverse lights (bold-sport). Both are no-error and have no resistor boxes.

NOTE: ALL LEDs work - this looks strange due to the LED cycle rate versus my wonderful cell camera. You cannot see the refresh in eye. They just have a cycle like all LEDs.

Also with matte black emblem and red vinyl insert.
Thats the funny thing about led cycles. Camera pics up what the eye cant.

MyStro023

Ready to race!

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I've had my Depo "Dark Cherry" for just 2 years and finally decided to go OEM. I have an unlimited car wash pass, so those lights have seen over 400 (brushless) washes. They look exactly like the day I bought them...so good job Depo.

The negatives...the quality of the plastic lens always bothered me a bit. In different light conditions, the lens would go from looking like the proper OEM color to almost magenta in color. It bothered but not enough to go OEM...but since I've reached a point in my build where I'm all OEM, I thought I might as well get the proper lights.

tl:dr Depo's are robust but the color of the lens just doesn't match OEM

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
These look slick on their own but I get the feeling they would make the halogens look dated and out of place.

How do these look when paired with halogen headlights?