GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Depo LED Tails

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for taking the time and effort to make the video and pics. I was really on the fence as to which color I want. I have a 2012 Black R, I think I'm going with smoked version like yours.:thumbsup:

Thanks again

Pat

:w00t: post pics!!

butchered by autocorrect

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Since installing my Dark Cherry DEPOS (roughly 2 weeks ago), I have been very satisfied with the decision not to go OEM. My concerns before purchasing was fitment, LED quality (consistent brightness) and whether or not they would leak.

I did have to adjust the inboard lamps, but I imagine the OEM were probably hand fitted at the factory too. LED brightness is great. It's seems consistent among all LED and their aim/trajectory seems consistent for the individual LEDs. One thing I noticed is that you cannot see the tail lights from the side of the car in the dark, but the OEM may be the same. Last, I have taken my car to the car wash where you use the high pressure wand, and I have absolutely no leaking or moisture.

Mounted on the car, I think most observers would be hard pressed to differentiate the DEPOS from the OEMs.

The last factor will be longevity. I'll provide a follow up on how well they held up when the 2014/2015 Golf R hits the dealer's lots. :D

For anyone on the fence, I say give them a try. If you're not satisfied, it's very likely you can sell them for close to what you paid and you can still buy the OEM's. For the difference in price, I was able to purchase upgraded SEAS tweeters and crossovers for my home theater L/C/R channel speakers. ;)

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The last factor will be longevity.

I've been wondering if it's more worthwhile to have to buy two sets of these at $385 ea in order to get the black smoke and retain OEM-like longevity. Don't know where I'm leaning at this point.

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been wondering if it's more worthwhile to have to buy two sets of these at $385 ea in order to get the black smoke and retain OEM-like longevity. Don't know where I'm leaning at this point.

I can agree on having a spare pair in the event of damage from a wreck or something unforeseen, but wouldn't you agree that we don't have enough data to evaluate OEM longevity? I can appreciate your point regarding how difficult it may be to replace the black smoke. They look great on your car!

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
One thing I noticed is that you cannot see the tail lights from the side of the car in the dark, but the OEM may be the same.

You won't be able to see LEDs from the side, be it OEM, Vacar or Depo. This is why VW doesn't put the LED tails on US-spec cars. US DOT regulations require that the tails be visible from the side.

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
:w00t:
You won't be able to see LEDs from the side, be it OEM, Vacar or Depo. This is why VW doesn't put the LED tails on US-spec cars. US DOT regulations require that the tails be visible from the side.

Interesting. I'll have to take a close look at the A4 with LED tails to see if they are visible from the side.

Maryland Shout-Out! :)

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
On the Audi's they almost certainly either have an LED or halogen bulb on the outside of the light, facing the side of the car. Go Terps! (and I work at Johns Hokins, so go Blue Jays too, I guess)

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I want to mention the difference between state regulations and Dot requirements. State requirements apply when you're driving down the road, DOT requirements are for manufacturers that want to sell cars in the US. Took that not from an industry source, bit positive that it applies to all dot rules, but this makes sense to me.

butchered by autocorrect

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I did notice this evening while passing a Volvo with LED tails (that nice, snakey line) that the side of the tail had three small LEDs grouped together, facing the side. Looked a bit out of place, but I'm sure that's the reason they're there.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I did notice this evening while passing a Volvo with LED tails (that nice, snakey line) that the side of the tail had three small LEDs grouped together, facing the side. Looked a bit out of place, but I'm sure that's the reason they're there.

Same for all cars. Need to have a side facing light in the light housing or separate.

Euro rear light
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362535598.990033.jpg

US rear light - see the side section cutout for light to shine out to the side. The LED tail lights don't have this as they are designed for Europe. VW would need to redesign them to include them here, or add a light into the bumper. It's another stupid requirement.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362535641.255623.jpg

Now you know you won't be able to stop looking for it on every car you look at

Last edited:

Ready to race!
Those tails look ridiculously cool.