GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printing a DSG Shift Knob

vswagon

Been on the forum for 2 years and have never seen anything like this. Awesome!

Haha awesome, I always like trying the innovative route lol, should have some updates later this week :)

Could you print a TOP or TB pipe? Are the plastics, abs or PVC I think, strong enough to withstand the boost pressures?

Hmm, it's possible, though I'm not super sure what the strength of ABS or PLA are compared to the material used currently... I'd say it would probably be fine if we print it with 100% infill, but the next question is will they do well in a hot environment. The melting points of these plastics is around 200F so it may be fine, but as a new GTI owner I don't know where those are positioned yet so if it's in a fairly safe spot from extra hot components it should be safe but we'd have to check

vswagon

Got it! This was after the engine was running for about 30 min, with 10 min of city driving. I've circled where on the pipe I was getting the reading. Ok never mind photo bucket isn't cooperating today... looks close and you can see the laser. This is with a neuspeed FMIC BTW.

haha nice! You're on top of this :) well according to those temps it looks like we should be fine! now we just need a model or at least a reference part to reverse engineer lol

In other news, I've been working out the kinks in my model but the printer nozzle got clogged today so I wasn't able to print my next iteration. Hoping to have a smoother update sometime this week though

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
Hmm, it's possible, though I'm not super sure what the strength of ABS or PLA are compared to the material used currently...

Pre-intercooler boost pressure temps can reach 350+ degrees F. ABS has a service limit of about 200 degrees. I would never use PLA in an automotive environment for anything other than a test fit.

Almost all OE under hood plastic parts are glass filled Nylon 6/6. Some of which are rated for 400+ degrees.

If I was going to 3D print an underhood part for sustained use I'd probably have it made out of Ultem on a Fortus machine.

vswagon

Pre-intercooler boost pressure temps can reach 350+ degrees F. ABS has a service limit of about 200 degrees. I would never use PLA in an automotive environment for anything other than a test fit.

Almost all OE under hood plastic parts are glass filled Nylon 6/6. Some of which are rated for 400+ degrees.

If I was going to 3D print an underhood part for sustained use I'd probably have it made out of Ultem on a Fortus machine.

This makes a lot of sense, I wasn't even considering the temps of the stuff flowing through the pieces... as I mentioned I would stay away from using PLA on anything too hot because of the its melting temps, but for something simpler with minimum strength/heat requirements it would likely be OK. Hence why I'm sticking to aesthetic pieces for now lol

And yea, nothing quite like a production printer like a Fortus for something durable lol

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
but for something simpler with minimum strength/heat requirements it would likely be OK. Hence why I'm sticking to aesthetic pieces for now lol

PLA will likely soften and deform in the summer heat. Glass transition happens at about 140. Since it's only cosmetic it won't hurt to find out but once you have your design finalized you might want to consider getting it from Shapeways in their strong and flexible material. It's Nylon and can take quite a bit of heat. Also that way everyone else could buy it :).

vswagon

PLA will likely soften and deform in the summer heat. Glass transition happens at about 140. Since it's only cosmetic it won't hurt to find out but once you have your design finalized you might want to consider getting it from Shapeways in their strong and flexible material. It's Nylon and can take quite a bit of heat. Also that way everyone else could buy it :).

Yep, especially given my car is black with black interior, should be interesting haha. I'm actually trying the next iteration with some PLA from 3D Solutech with a higher melting point to see if it stands up to the heat a little better. Won't know till it warms up around here, but it'll be interesting to find out.

Agreed, Shapeways might be the way to go in the future, but I want to see what I can do myself in the meantime while I have this Makerbot at my disposal. Something like Alumide might be kind of cool if it wasn't too scratchy, but we'll see, I'll be sure to update on any undesired deformation either way lol

vswagon

VS, what do you think of the makerbots? The reviews I have read are very pro or con. Not really in-between.

I'm personally a fan, but it all depends on what you are using it for. As a casual hobbyist printer it is perfect because it's fairly plug and play and easy to use without too much hacking. The quality of the prints are good, but if you are imagining production quality parts you can definitely get better results from the professional Stratasys / 3D Systems printers. The pricepoint is between 1400-2500 which is fairly reasonable compared to the 5k+ pro printers, but if you are printing one-off objects fairly casually without serious strength/performance requirements it is definitely a good choice IMO

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I'd like one that looks like a Golf Ball. You could work on a set of DSG paddles, too.

JoshAdd87

This is pretty cool. Have you considered other projects for the car?

I have this crazy idea for doing a headunit delete and installing nexus 7 tablet in my car. I'm doing it no matter what but would love set it up as a as a easily removable install.

I'm thinking I might try to model out the scosche dash kit for the GTI. Then take a (hopefully) proven model for the nexus 7's case and merge the models together to create a dash kit that has perfect fitment and lets my tablet rest flush in the dash.

I have 0 experience with 3D modelling but I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm planning on testing out sending pictures of the dash kit to the Autodesk 123D Catch service and get a model from them. I'd love to hear from you if you think this is feasible or even worth it. :)

We live in such an awesome world where anything we could possibly want is a button click a way, but someone has to create the model first. :)

vswagon

Hey guys, just an update, looks like someone mishandled the printer a few weeks ago and messed it up :( That with the fact that it has been a busy last few weeks, so I can't work on my next iteration yet sadly, but before it broke I was able to print out a slightly tweaked second iteration that fits a lot nicer. The only color I had at the time was Red, but it kinda works, the final product will likely be silver though. I still have a couple more tweaks, but I can finally start working out the details and hopefully once I'm done the printer will be back up and I can test it out.

Nice! I'd like one that looks like a Golf Ball. You could work on a set of DSG paddles, too.

Not a bad idea about the paddles! And I was thinking about playing around with the golf ball idea once I nail down this design too so it's definitely an option :D

This is pretty cool. Have you considered other projects for the car?

I have this crazy idea for doing a headunit delete and installing nexus 7 tablet in my car. I'm doing it no matter what but would love set it up as a as a easily removable install.

I'm thinking I might try to model out the scosche dash kit for the GTI. Then take a (hopefully) proven model for the nexus 7's case and merge the models together to create a dash kit that has perfect fitment and lets my tablet rest flush in the dash.

I have 0 experience with 3D modelling but I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm planning on testing out sending pictures of the dash kit to the Autodesk 123D Catch service and get a model from them. I'd love to hear from you if you think this is feasible or even worth it. :)

We live in such an awesome world where anything we could possibly want is a button click a way, but someone has to create the model first. :)

Oh man, that sounds like an awesome project! I was just talking to someone the other day about how Nav systems/etc in cars just aren't up to par with a lot of phone apps and how we should just use our phones as an ECU lol. That could be awesome if you pull it off! The trick is size and accuracy of the print and you need to keep in mind that these plastics may be more malleable in the summer as well.

I've played with 123D catch and it is a pretty cool tool, but it likely is not quite the accuracy you might expect it to be. I wouldn't suggest reverse engineering using that data since photogrammetry is a very relative process and can vary on camera resolution and basic gyroscopic noise. It's also generally difficult to work with that basic mesh data, but with some work it could likely be done.

Either way you're right, this is definitely an exciting time and if anything I would definitely take some time to learn up on some basic design techniques and tools and take a stab at it. It definitely opens the door to a whole new realm of possibility.