GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A brief review of 4 tailpipe cleaning options

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I usually just hit the tips with steel wool every time I wash the car, however, I wash the car every week.

I'll have to pick up some Nevr-Dull.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I usually just hit the tips with steel wool every time I wash the car, however, I wash the car every week.

I'll have to pick up some Nevr-Dull.

The stuff is great. I had my down pipe out over the weekend while installing my K04, and hit my resonator with nevr-dull. Looked brand new (pic in my build thread, post 2...)

I also used it in the engine bay a bit with good results there, too.

danrazzaqi

Ready to race!
ive used never dull several times on other cars with favorable results as well :thumbsup:

never tried bar keepers friend though... might have to ick that up tomorrow

Noize

Go Kart Champion
After five months and 5000 miles, mine were a bit dingy, but nothing like in the original post. I used Black Magic wheel cleaner, sprayed off, then went with Scratch X and got them really cleaned out. Total time invested, about 5 minutes per side. I think you just have to stay after it every few months. Here's the result:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
After five months and 5000 miles, mine were a bit dingy, but nothing like in the original post. I used Black Magic wheel cleaner, sprayed off, then went with Scratch X and got them really cleaned out. Total time invested, about 5 minutes per side. I think you just have to stay after it every few months. Here's the result:

Nice - in going to hit mine once or twice a week for a while and see if I can't get them looking like that again.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Nice!!! Looks great!
Has any one else actually gotten scratches on their pipes from using steel wool? I noticed some scratches up close after the first time I cleaned mine with the steel wool.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Nice!!! Looks great!
Has any one else actually gotten scratches on their pipes from using steel wool? I noticed some scratches up close after the first time I cleaned mine with the steel wool.

There's no way in heck I'd use steel wool! That just sounds crazy to me.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered some Eagle One Never Dull off of amazon. Weather is looking good this week so I think I'll get to try it out!

:thumbsup: I use it all the time now. It takes 2 minutes to make them shiny as all get out; so I do it 3 times a week now that I've discovered the stuff. Hoping if I do it enough the really caked on, long standing carbon will come off eventually.

I break out the other products for full washes, but nevr-dull is just fast and easy. Right up there with quick detailer spray in my arsenal now.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Just got the Never Dull in the mail and tried it out! It worked great for the parts that were decently bad. I couldn't get the caked on black residue off the lower part of the exhaust tip rim though :(

Any other suggestions for the REALLY caked on stuff?

I love the product though for quick clean ups. Also used it on my VW badge in the front and back....WOW!:thumbup:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I used Bartenders last fall after a year of using nothing. I tried toothpaste first and scrubbed and a rubbed for a half hour. Got about half the crud off. Then went to the Bartenders with steel wool. After several scrubs I made a thick paste and left it on for about an hour and then spent about another half hour scrubbing. Bartenders works but it's not a walk in the park if your tips are really city.
This is not easy work.

Afterwards I put on a sealant and two layers of wax (I used Duragloss).

Now I just give them a quick wipe once a week and they've been fine ever since.

I re-apply sealant and wax to the entire car, including the tips about every three months.

But once they're clean, a weekly wipe is the trick.

mikent256

Ready to race!
I've been avoiding using steel wool since i've heard mixed results of scratching and pitting but I have this ring around the edge of the exhaust tips that are not coming out. May have to grab some soon and try it out.