GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A brief review of 4 tailpipe cleaning options

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
#0000 steel wool + polishing compounds mentioned is the way to go.

As many guys here mentioned: get used to cleaning them often and it's a breeze. Neglect them and it's not so nice.

mikent256

Ready to race!
#0000 steel wool + polishing compounds mentioned is the way to go.

As many guys here mentioned: get used to cleaning them often and it's a breeze. Neglect them and it's not so nice.

I got the car in October, kept up with it religiously until the colder temps came and winter/snow eventually. A few months of neglect and I am paying for it big time!

Jpembry

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the car in October, kept up with it religiously until the colder temps came and winter/snow eventually. A few months of neglect and I am paying for it big time!

I'm in the exact same boat as you.. Even got my car in October as well! Just did a spring detail and after using both never dull and 0000 steel wool + apc I still was not able to get everything.. Looking for something else

mikent256

Ready to race!
I'm in the exact same boat as you.. Even got my car in October as well! Just did a spring detail and after using both never dull and 0000 steel wool + apc I still was not able to get everything.. Looking for something else

What a coincidence!

Let me know what works? I am going to try steel wool soon but I am disappointed that I haven't removed it all yet.

wabbit2

Keepem shiny!

i bought my GTI in summer '10, used, with 6000 miles on it. My '84 finally poofed and so this was my first "new" car. Needless to say, i've been pampering it ever since, and the little bastard shines (even in black). Whenever i see another MK 6, my eyes go straight to the tail pipes; if they're dirty, thats someone who's lax in the care department; if shining, thats someone who cares what their car looks like. Its the real test. And like others have said, do it once, get all the carbon off, and then you have to do it every week.

46defense

Passed Driver's Ed
As I'm sitting here reading this im starting to think I know what will work on the rolled tips.. The red industrial 3m scotchbrite pads that we use at work for everything metal. It will actually take some stock off the aluminum, so there's no doubt all the carbon will be gone in the end. Will test this weekend and report back!

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
As I'm sitting here reading this im starting to think I know what will work on the rolled tips.. The red industrial 3m scotchbrite pads that we use at work for everything metal. It will actually take some stock off the aluminum, so there's no doubt all the carbon will be gone in the end. Will test this weekend and report back!

Try using easy off oven cleaner

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I like never dull myself, almost always use mothers first just to get that extra shine from the tip and the never dull is such a fine polish/cleaner that it's like using 2000 after 1500. Great all in one cleaner and polish though

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wow, 3 pages and no one mentioned CLR? Went from Barkeeper's Friend to CLR and, though it doesn't smell as nice, it works faster and breaks up large deposits more deeply than Barkeeper's Friend. 30% CLR solution and a dish scrubber :thumbsup:

butchered by autocorrecr

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Wow, 3 pages and no one mentioned CLR? Went from Barkeeper's Friend to CLR and, though it doesn't smell as nice, it works faster and breaks up large deposits more deeply than Barkeeper's Friend. 30% CLR solution and a dish scrubber :thumbsup:

butchered by autocorrecr

CLR smells about as nice as an ass :yikes:

Edit: I'm talking a dirty STANK ass too

atikovi

Ready to race!
I still got these awesome pipes.