GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I running rich?

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I went to advanced measuring and loaded a file that came with vcds software. For 2.0T (& Diesel) they have like 7 files you can load with pre-selected blocks. Not good?

I'm just picky, It's adequate and will give what is needed for a diagnosis.

I label the runs from first to last, I label which gear, I select turbo mode, I delete the time stamp and I'll use the blocks that APR recommends.

All that being said, I'm fairly confident the problem is within the CTS Intake. Either PM me or post it here what you find out when you install the stock intake.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Attached are logs (using APR's block files) I just ran over lunch... Two things to note:
1.) Runs were all 3rd gear
2.) this is on STOCK intake

Haven't fully looked yet but timing is much better than before. A degree or two is ok but 4-6+ like before is not good.

Looks like the intake was the culprit

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm assuming you all are attempting to bring this thread back up:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37389

I'd highly advise against it seeing as though that one went nowhere, unless there is any factual proof of this instance. In the 6 Years I've been around this community, I've yet to see it.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Everything looks great, the car is once again healthy.

Now you need to buy the Carbonio, you'd be surprised the difference you'll see through the MAF readings :thumbsup:

I actually had the Carbonio in my shopping cart... I'm not gonna pull the trigger until I find out if it will do the job for a stage 2 set-up.

I do plan on going stage 2, probably this spring if I don't get trigger happy... I just wouldn't want to buy the Carbonio only to have to swap it out.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I actually had the Carbonio in my shopping cart... I'm not gonna pull the trigger until I find out if it will do the job for a stage 2 set-up.

I do plan on going stage 2, probably this spring if I don't get trigger happy... I just wouldn't want to buy the Carbonio only to have to swap it out.

The Golf R Carbonio (Not to be confused with the MK6 GTI Carbonio intake) intake retains the factory engine cover, has a high flow inlet that doesn't divert air to the engine bay and has a high flow filter. It make a decent gain, but nothing to write home about. Its good if you want to keep your factory engine cover which a large percentage of people do.

Now, if you want good power on the Golf R, and don't care if the factory engine cover is removed, the VWR intake is the way to go. It has a high flow filter, sealed off from the engine bay, and is a pretty straight and unrestricted shot to the turbocharger. It makes massive power over the stock intake setup and has my stamp of approval. I have one on my GTI right now.

If you want the cover, but still want all the power, you can always modify the cover to make it look like it's still there! Here's what a customer did on his S3 (same engine as Golf R):

If you plan to go stage 2, 2+ or whatever anyone calls it, retaining your stock turbo, then the VWR intake is the one to get if power is your main goal.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Arin, does your Carbonio vs. VWR comparison hold true for TSI powered vehicles as well?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
The Golf R Carbonio (Not to be confused with the MK6 GTI Carbonio intake) intake retains the factory engine cover, has a high flow inlet that doesn't divert air to the engine bay and has a high flow filter. It make a decent gain, but nothing to write home about. Its good if you want to keep your factory engine cover which a large percentage of people do.

Now, if you want good power on the Golf R, and don't care if the factory engine cover is removed, the VWR intake is the way to go. It has a high flow filter, sealed off from the engine bay, and is a pretty straight and unrestricted shot to the turbocharger. It makes massive power over the stock intake setup and has my stamp of approval. I have one on my GTI right now.

If you want the cover, but still want all the power, you can always modify the cover to make it look like it's still there! Here's what a customer did on his S3 (same engine as Golf R):

If you plan to go stage 2, 2+ or whatever anyone calls it, retaining your stock turbo, then the VWR intake is the one to get if power is your main goal.

My understanding is that:

Carbonio: quieter, stock engine cover retained, very little to zero low-end loss but also lesser top-end gain.

VWR: louder, need engine cover solution, typical low-end loss but excellent top-end gain. Also, heard this has rubbing issues.

Anyway, to stay on topic. I feel good about what my fellow golfmk6.com friends had to say about my updated logs. Going for another drive to see if my baby is back:D

I am waiting for one last very important review of my logs to possibly shed light on the situation.

Bottom line is that all I know is car ran good before CTS and after CTS (so far).

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
See, that's what scares me... John@Uni get in here and comfort me dammit! I need a hug, I've been through a lot. Tell me it will be OK!

Everything will be OK! :wub:

Just reviewed your logs you sent over via email and responded. They look much better and your timing pull has calmed down quite a bit with the recent change. Check out my email I sent and I'll follow-up again with you tomorrow via email and we'll take it from there!

Thanks again for your patience and support as we work through troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Everything will be OK! :wub:

Just reviewed your logs you sent over via email and responded. They look much better and your timing pull has calmed down quite a bit with the recent change. Check out my email I sent and I'll follow-up again with you tomorrow via email and we'll take it from there!

Thanks again for your patience and support as we work through troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir!

The one piece of information I forgot to send was my trims. Currently at:
+1.2% (idle) -11.3% (partial). I read that within +/-10 is normal. Am I still running rich?

Yeah... full circle:lol: