GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Reassurance Please!

tmacmact

Passed Driver's Ed
Increased boost results in increased engine temps which, in turn, calls for the water pump to work harder. Not saying it's directly caused by the tune but it definitely plays a role in an already weak design failing prematurely.

Increased temps, sure. But the water pump will not "work" harder at higher coolant temps. It's not like it starts spinning faster or something.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: wtf

mfdave

Passed Driver's Ed
@ducatiti - Have you looked into Dublin VW for your APR tune? If I had the choice when i was tuned, I would have liked to do it at a VW dealership. I actually have them throwing in my neuspeed TOP and aircharge pipes tomorrow. That being said, 034 motorsports have a solid reputation. The ECU cracking is the most risky thing about the tune, so rep and experience go a long way! Just wanted to let you know a dealership around you does APR tunes!

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Increased temps, sure. But the water pump will not "work" harder at higher coolant temps. It's not like it starts spinning faster or something.

Funny, after tune my engine temp dial is right in the middle, same place it was when stock. I dont think the engine runs any hotter at stg 1

Jaber

Modero
Funny, after tune my engine temp dial is right in the middle, same place it was when stock. I dont think the engine runs any hotter at stg 1

Believe that is more of a dummy Guage and doesnt show true temp. More of a cold, running temp and hot. True temps can be seen via OBD2.

-Sent from the superior interior

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Your coil pack lifespan may be reduced, although it seems people only start seeing misfire problems during "stage 2". Myself included. Other than that i've had no problems with the tune itself.

Already aware of this, and I'll be looking up the best coil packs to get for when I get tuned!

It won't work harder, but it will work more often if it is causing the engine to produce more heat than usual. However, I'm sure this also depends on how the car is driven. I'm a fairly mild driver on my daily commute, and don't really dip into the throttle so much except on any weekend excursions.

You decided to get a tune, great, but why APR? Unitronic 1+ the way to go.

Honestly, it was mostly name recognition. Plus I have read far more feed back on the APR and the Unitronics. And their is an APR shop in the city I live in, as opposed to driving 50 miles out of state to get the Unitronics flash. I know it's only 50 miles, by why go across the street when you can go across the hall?

EDIT: I also like the Carbonio intake far more than the Unitronics. This is based solely on looks lol

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Cool man, best of luck to you. Seems a lot of people are initially drawn to apr and the carbonio (as i was when i first got the car) but after months of reading I decided on the unitronic products. The tune and turbo back exhaust is awesome.

Already aware of this, and I'll be looking up the best coil packs to get for when I get tuned!

It won't work harder, but it will work more often if it is causing the engine to produce more heat than usual. However, I'm sure this also depends on how the car is driven. I'm a fairly mild driver on my daily commute, and don't really dip into the throttle so much except on any weekend excursions.

Honestly, it was mostly name recognition. Plus I have read far more feed back on the APR and the Unitronics. And their is an APR shop in the city I live in, as opposed to driving 50 miles out of state to get the Unitronics flash. I know it's only 50 miles, by why go across the street when you can go across the hall?

EDIT: I also like the Carbonio intake far more than the Unitronics. This is based solely on looks lol

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
I have one last final concern. I think...

I can get the tune done fairly soon, all I'm waiting on really, besides picking up the car (lawl, hopefully this or next weekend!) is calling up the shop and getting the appointment. With that said, should I be concerned about getting the tune done to a car that, if I get an appointment the week after I get the car, only has about 200 miles on it?

Should I wait until I have a few thousand? I read a ton about how we don't have to break our engines in, but what about installing Stage 1 on a brand spanking new engine?

Cbax38

Ready to race!
I have one last final concern. I think...

I can get the tune done fairly soon, all I'm waiting on really, besides picking up the car (lawl, hopefully this or next weekend!) is calling up the shop and getting the appointment. With that said, should I be concerned about getting the tune done to a car that, if I get an appointment the week after I get the car, only has about 200 miles on it?

Should I wait until I have a few thousand? I read a ton about how we don't have to break our engines in, but what about installing Stage 1 on a brand spanking new engine?

You dont have too, but why not learn and appreciate the stock car for a few K then get the tune.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
You don't have too, but why not learn and appreciate the stock car for a few K then get the tune.

Ugghhh, I know I should do this, but with my driving habits, that's 5 or 6 months from now, which puts us in the winter, after which I'd end up waiting until spring, so I'm looking at a year before getting it tuned . . .

Then again, even though I think that is a long time, it sure won't feel long seeing as it is going to be a huge difference coming from a 5-speed Scion tC and going into a brand spankin' new GTI.

Gahhhh, I don't know what to do!!!

Do you feel the same way about suspension mods? I'm also looking to get the DG springs right away (1 - 2 weeks after getting the car). Then maybe a month from now a rear sway bar (and possibly the front sway bar).

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Suspension- Go for it right away if you want. Mines still stock and its just fine. I waited 5k miles then got the tune. Although I'm sure you can get it right away if you want without issue.

Ugghhh, I know I should do this, but with my driving habits, that's 5 or 6 months from now, which puts us in the winter, after which I'd end up waiting until spring, so I'm looking at a year before getting it tuned . . .

Then again, even though I think that is a long time, it sure won't feel long seeing as it is going to be a huge difference coming from a 5-speed Scion tC and going into a brand spankin' new GTI.

Gahhhh, I don't know what to do!!!

Do you feel the same way about suspension mods? I'm also looking to get the DG springs right away (1 - 2 weeks after getting the car). Then maybe a month from now a rear sway bar (and possibly the front sway bar).

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Suspension- Go for it right away if you want. Mines still stock and its just fine. I waited 5k miles then got the tune. Although I'm sure you can get it right away if you want without issue.

What I may do then is go for the suspension after a week or two (as long as I get a chance to play around on some corners to get a feel for stock).

As for the tune. Part of me wants to wait, but at the same time, I don't think I can. The tune might be coming just as fast as my springs.

But before all of that, I'll be having a talk with my dealership's service manager to find out exactly where he stands on the problem parts (water pump and time chain tensioner) and what happens when they break on modded cars.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
So after all of this, I'm waiting until next May to go Stage 1, after which the car will be paid off. I might do the springs before hand, but I decided it is best to pay the car off just in case!

Ganiman

Ready to race!
So after all of this, I'm waiting until next May to go Stage 1, after which the car will be paid off. I might do the springs before hand, but I decided it is best to pay the car off just in case!

After you have driven your car for a couple of weeks, go to Banchwerks and the APR demo stage 1 install. It lasts like 6 hours of drive time or something like that. You will change your mind ;)