GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Reassurance Please!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'd wait 'till next spring to tune your car.
This way you get to enjoy your car in two stages.

The first, being this spring and summer where you really feel and see the difference between your GTI and your former Scion.

Then, next spring with a stage one tune - you can rekindle your interest in your GTI when you shoot it up with a tune.

Shep1

Ready to race!
I was in the same boat as you and was told by both dealerships that VW can void your warranty on power train issues with a tune. Too much of a risk for a new car for me so seeing a stock GTI is already quick I went with mods to improve response and handling since going fast in corners is more fun than going fast in a straight line. If you are a driver and not just someone who drives improving the handling is the way to go.

I put in a HPA 75A red dogbone motor mount to improve the connectivity between the engine/tranny and the sub frame. This is a great mod if you don't mind a little vibration at lower/laggy RPMs. Then I put in a H&R 24mm rear sway bar which really helped balance the car and removed most of the inherent understeer built into the GTI. Now it really feels like a big go-kart! The sway bar has definitely been the best mod so far and the best bang for the buck.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy your new GTI!

Last edited:

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
After you have driven your car for a couple of weeks, go to Banchwerks and the APR demo stage 1 install. It lasts like 6 hours of drive time or something like that. You will change your mind ;)

Right now Gani I am thinking mostly the springs. I want the power of stage 1, but going along the train of thought of what ElectricEye said, this is going to be such a huge difference from my Scion, I really won't be missing out on anything if I wait a year.

However, I love fast corning, so the springs might come very soon. Plus the car just looks even sexier with the slight drop the spring provide!

On another note, it is looking like I'll be picking up the car tomorrow. But I'm so far behind on homework this week (with a paper due Sunday night), that I may not make it to Seekonk on Sunday :(