GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Been about 2 months since I've got my GTI

05srt09GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
My car had the same hit kinda:/ except my airbags didn't go off, i fixed it myself bought everything myself, you're gonna want to buy a whole new side skin that's about 550 from dealer, new door 550, new rim, airbags prob 400,

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
My car had the same hit kinda:/ except my airbags didn't go off, i fixed it myself bought everything myself, you're gonna want to buy a whole new side skin that's about 550 from dealer, new door 550, new rim, airbags prob 400,

Why would he buy this stuff? Insurance should take care of anything whether or not it was his fault, it would be cheaper to pay your deductable then to do it yourself. And your also missing the price for paint, labor, rental plus misc parts needed.

Distant

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad you are ok.

My accident nearly 2 weeks ago has put the damage amount around $8k so far but no airbag deployment. Even though it just "looks" like a quarter panel and a wheel, the VW does a fine job of absorbing all the impact so you don't have to.

Take it to a shop, get it done right.

slowgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Replacing side airbags alone will run about $4500, they need to replace all the trim pieces including headliner, seat leather, air bag control modules, seat belts, tensioners, blah blah blah. I think the $10k estimate mentioned above is probably a good start.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Just the side or front too?
Just three of the side airbags, not the wheel. But holy shit the powder inside them smells horrible. :p

so since no one asked, what happened?
I was going straight through an intersection when the light for the people in front of me changed to soils green. The lady in the left turn lane decided to go left when I had the right of way. And I was hit.

Replacing side airbags alone will run about $4500, they need to replace all the trim pieces including headliner, seat leather, air bag control modules, seat belts, tensioners, blah blah blah. I think the $10k estimate mentioned above is probably a good start.
Damn. :/

But yeah, thanks everyone for asking if I was okay. I honestly didn't feel a thing, these cars are built great.:) just the airbag hitting the side of my head made my ear ring for a bit but it stopped while the officer was still there so I'm perfectly fine. EDIT: Other than the fact my car is destroyed... lol. :/

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Means your camber is fucked, probably a wrecked or kinked axle. That alone is going to put you into the $3k mark for cost to replace. Probably more. Airbags... forget it. Then have them check the frame... probably bowed on the hit side. I'd say it's a 70/30 chance of it being done.

+1 on this...Most of the damage is underneath and in the interior

yunone

Ready to race!
Its the Detroits...that stuff only happens to GTIs with Detroits..... Glad you are ok and none worse for wear

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Why would he buy this stuff? Insurance should take care of anything whether or not it was his fault, it would be cheaper to pay your deductable then to do it yourself. And your also missing the price for paint, labor, rental plus misc parts needed.

But you feel so much more accomplished after doing it yourself.

Also, :dnftt:

escooo

Ready to race!
im assuming the steering wheel airbag also deployed? just in airbags alone you're almost at 10k if it did.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
im assuming the steering wheel airbag also deployed? just in airbags alone you're almost at 10k if it did.

He already mentioned it didn't.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
I had similar damage in my mk5 that was totalled, $17k in parts. labour would have been more, more than likely totalled. the unibodys don't seem to fair well with side impacts.

99bajakid

Ready to race!
yeah, sorry to say but it's definitely totaled. On the bright side you'll be getting a new GTI (if that's what you want again) instead of driving around in one that's tainted.

spiker369

on air, don't care
yeah, sorry to say but it's definitely totaled. On the bright side you'll be getting a new GTI (if that's what you want again) instead of driving around in one that's tainted.

That's what I'm hoping for at this point really. :/ I mean, it was already a used car to begin with, so I'd be stoked if it came down to that.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Means your camber is fucked, probably a wrecked or kinked axle. That alone is going to put you into the $3k mark for cost to replace. Probably more. Airbags... forget it. Then have them check the frame... probably bowed on the hit side. I'd say it's a 70/30 chance of it being done.

There's no axle on the back end of a GTI. :D As for the frame, there is no way the frame is damaged from that hit. It crumpled the outer sheetmetal on the quarter, frame is about 10" away from the impact and was never even touched. If frames bent from an impact like that they would be falling apart after several big potholes. ;)

As has been said however, the airbags are costly. I already shut down my work laptop or I could do a rough estimate for ya. Curtain bags are usually around $1000 per side, seat bag is at least another $600, plus the seat cover and maybe the seat frame will have to be replaced, plus the headliner and side panel trim. Plus all the labor for that, final will probably be close to $9-10k which may total it depending on the regulations in your area on any pre-set percentage of value or formula.

Sucks.....2 months.......but hey, at least you're ok, cars are just things.