GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I would do terrible things to have a 3-car garage. Actually, any garage larger than mine. I've even been considering buying an abandoned house down the block for $10k, just so I can knock it down and build a giant garage on the lot. Not surprisingly, the wife keeps dismissing the idea. I think it sounds like an awesome plan.

Now, the beater truck = the best, most useful $3k I've ever spent. I can't believe how often it comes in handy. It was invaluable for moving and buying furniture. I drove it a ton in the winter when the snow was cray. Hell, today it's raining and the ATS is clean, so I left it in the tiny garage and drove Ol Blue. It's nice being able to tow and haul stuff at a moment's notice, and I've honestly used it way more than I thought I would. My original plan was to sell it after moving, now I want to keep it for life.

The catch is finding a full-size with a manual. I can't stress how much fun it is driving a full-size truck with a manual. The clutch is what I imagine operating a mechanical clutch on a 1940's dump truck felt like, and I'm pretty sure the shifter lever could be used as a yard stick in a pinch. Granny first means you could pull a house in low gear, but normal driving is like a dog-leg transmission: first is down and to the left. You could drive a semi between the gears (4 of them including overdrive in normal driving), which requires a lot of shifting on the highway...but the throttle cable makes heel-toe stupid easy. Yes, heel-towing a full size pickup FTW. It's so much awesome in a terrible way, and adds a ton of character to the truck. Seriously, I get so much enjoyment out of driving that I think that's why it has so much staying power. Mated with the 5.7 TBI that redlines at 4,500rpm (like a diesel), the torque is ridiculous. Overall, hilariously terrible while outstandingly useful. I will have it until it or I die, whichever comes first.

Now, they didn't make many manual transmission full-size trucks. Finding one is tough. When you do, they're usually fleet spec, standard cab, low options, 2x4, V6, or missing many creature comfort features. Ol Blue is a K1500 (4x4 half-ton) 5.7 extended cab with the Silverado Package. The Silverado package was like the High Country today, it has every feature you could get in a truck. Power windows and locks, cruise, 4 speakers, etc. Finding one equipped with a manual is very difficult. But to make Ol Blue even rarer, she's got the 2-year only option of the HD cast-iron transmission. For two years, you could order an LD truck with the manual that came in the HD trucks. It was a pretty hefty price (like $1,500 or something, I'll have to check the sticker again), so most opted against it. The transmission (NV4500) has been rated as one of the best, most bullet-proof 4x4 transmissions out there, and they regularly sell for nearly $2k by themselves. So if I ever total the truck, I can sell the tranny for $1k less than I paid for the entire truck. Winning.

I even bought it from the original owner off eBay, but I won't rehash that story again.

Anyway as you can tell, I'm a huge proponent for beater trucks. It's tough up here because most of the old ones rusted away long ago. I suggest trolling craigslist in the south and doing a road trip. Fluid film does a great job of rust prevention without being annoying to work with (like many undercoating products), so you can keep a rust-free truck rust-free for as long as you're willing.

Last edited:

PetrolHead

Damn, you've made me want an Ol' Blue of my own.. Any way to tell if this truck has the NV4500?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-S...33994144b&item=151289861195&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

It was a 92-93 only option on the LD trucks, IIRC. You can tell easily by looking at the gear shift knob. If it's original, the shift pattern has "L" up and to the left, "1" down and to the left 2 and 3 are center, and "OD" up and to the right.

Honestly, I wouldn't make the NV4500 a dealbreaker. Sure it's bulletproof, but it's obscenely rare...unless you go for a 2500. The NV4500 was used in GM, Chrysler, and Ford HD trucks too, though I'm partial to GM, natch.

This one on eBay, if it goes for the right price, could be awesome. High mileage, but if it's been maintained, and the owner is truthful about it not burning out, it's just getting broken in. I drove mine straight across the country and it used ZERO oil. Had 189k at the time, I'm now at 195k. These trucks were over-engineered beyond compare.

On a side: I miss the days of the interior color matching the exterior. This one is just like Ol blue, just red everywhere. Ol Red. I like it.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
It was a 92-93 only option on the LD trucks, IIRC. You can tell easily by looking at the gear shift knob. If it's original, the shift pattern has "L" up and to the left, "1" down and to the left 2 and 3 are center, and "OD" up and to the right.

Honestly, I wouldn't make the NV4500 a dealbreaker. Sure it's bulletproof, but it's obscenely rare...unless you go for a 2500. The NV4500 was used in GM, Chrysler, and Ford HD trucks too, though I'm partial to GM, natch.

This one on eBay, if it goes for the right price, could be awesome. High mileage, but if it's been maintained, and the owner is truthful about it not burning out, it's just getting broken in. I drove mine straight across the country and it used ZERO oil. Had 189k at the time, I'm now at 195k. These trucks were over-engineered beyond compare.

On a side: I miss the days of the interior color matching the exterior. This one is just like Ol blue, just red everywhere. Ol Red. I like it.

Haha Ol' Red.

I was reading up on the NV4500 - seems like the tranny to get. My plan for the truck would be run it on the street/winter duty and home depot runs until something bad happens, then keep it as a mud/wheeling truck, so the NV4500 would be useful there. There seem to be a ton of 2500's though, so it would probably just be worth it to get one of those.

For fun, I texted this guy to see if the truck is a 1500 or a 2500, and whether or not the truck's got the NV4500:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4421620279.html

PetrolHead

Haha Ol' Red.

I was reading up on the NV4500 - seems like the tranny to get. My plan for the truck would be run it on the street/winter duty and home depot runs until something bad happens, then keep it as a mud/wheeling truck, so the NV4500 would be useful there. There seem to be a ton of 2500's though, so it would probably just be worth it to get one of those.

For fun, I texted this guy to see if the truck is a 1500 or a 2500, and whether or not the truck's got the NV4500:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4421620279.html

That's a solid plan, and a great reason to get a beater truck. The NV4500 is awesome for wheeling, definitely the way to go. Looking for 3/4 tons would net you that transmission, and honestly in this era, the 1500 is just a rear end and some suspension components away from a 2500...in that you won't give up a whole lot for the 2500. Maybe some fuel efficiency, and it's possible that a 2500 will have lived a harder life than a 1500 (work vs. play and all that), but it's a solid plan.

Looks like this truck is 2wd. Not sure the NV4500 was available with 2wd, but I could be wrong. This poor truck, what a mess. :laugh:

I really think it's worth you taking the effort to get a southern/western truck. The price will be the same (minus getting it), but the truck will be in much better shape. It's a fun road trip at least, and you have a very rare truck for the area. Just this morning, I was filling Ol Blue up at the gas station, and this old guy approached me saying he hadn't seen one in years and couldn't believe how clean and rust-free the truck was. These run-ins happen all the time.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
That's a solid plan, and a great reason to get a beater truck. The NV4500 is awesome for wheeling, definitely the way to go. Looking for 3/4 tons would net you that transmission, and honestly in this era, the 1500 is just a rear end and some suspension components away from a 2500...in that you won't give up a whole lot for the 2500. Maybe some fuel efficiency, and it's possible that a 2500 will have lived a harder life than a 1500 (work vs. play and all that), but it's a solid plan.

Looks like this truck is 2wd. Not sure the NV4500 was available with 2wd, but I could be wrong. This poor truck, what a mess. :laugh:

I really think it's worth you taking the effort to get a southern/western truck. The price will be the same (minus getting it), but the truck will be in much better shape. It's a fun road trip at least, and you have a very rare truck for the area. Just this morning, I was filling Ol Blue up at the gas station, and this old guy approached me saying he hadn't seen one in years and couldn't believe how clean and rust-free the truck was. These run-ins happen all the time.

Definitely. I was hoping to spend around $1k , but as I've scoured Craig's list I've realized that while $1-1.5k may get me a running beater, it's not going to be pretty. I may be able to sway my wife into this if I can present options that aren't rust buckets (which is everything I've looked at so far).

I think it would be really cool to get a n early to mid seventies model, but Idk if it would be the best for reliability, what with dem carbs and such. I like the way those trucks look, especially some of the cool highboys. It's tough to find one of those in good shape around here though, so most likely I'd have to look to the south. That would be a cool road trip though!

In all likelihood I will just stick with two cars for now, but that full-size manual itch has been pretty bad over the past 6 months, and it seems to be getting worse..

PetrolHead

Definitely. I was hoping to spend around $1k , but as I've scoured Craig's list I've realized that while $1-1.5k may get me a running beater, it's not going to be pretty. I may be able to sway my wife into this if I can present options that aren't rust buckets (which is everything I've looked at so far).

I think it would be really cool to get a n early to mid seventies model, but Idk if it would be the best for reliability, what with dem carbs and such. I like the way those trucks look, especially some of the cool highboys. It's tough to find one of those in good shape around here though, so most likely I'd have to look to the south. That would be a cool road trip though!

In all likelihood I will just stick with two cars for now, but that full-size manual itch has been pretty bad over the past 6 months, and it seems to be getting worse..

I, you are right. In my stupor of trying to find a unicorn I didn't even think to see if "4x4" or "4wd" was in the ad. O well

I don't believe that there are any good $1k cars left. I've bought plenty, and they all sucked. For me, a beater is only valuable if it doesn't require a ton of work to keep going. Ol Blue has been that way. All I've done in 8 months and 7k miles:

Changed all Fluids
Changed Thermostat
Replaced starter (didn't die, but was on its way out)
Replaced tensioner

I think I've put $200 in it including the cost of all the new fluids (used Redline and mobile 1 for everything). It starts instantly every time, and hasn't let me down once. It needs new tires, but only because the existing ones are old (14 years) and rock hard. I won't replace them until they get super sketchy because they're just not worth it.

She was also owned by the same guy her entire life and had maintenance done religiously. My point is that it's unlikely you'll find a truck of this caliber for much below $2k. To get a worthwhile beater, I really think you want to spend in the $2.5-$3k range. I looked at a ton, and decided that's really where you maximize value. My situation was also a little different, because I was looking at a $3k U-Haul cost, so my budget was a bit more open. Think of situations where money can be saved with a truck (moving, furniture, yard work, towing, etc) to justify it.

I also like the older trucks a lot, but carburetors suck in the winter. Even though the early GMT400's have TBI, which isn't much beyond an electric carb, it's been completely hassle free even starting in sub 0 temps. I've said it before, but I really think that the late 80's to early 90's are the pinnacle for beater engineering. Just modern enough to be convenient, but simple enough to not be frustrating. Also in general, values are pretty low.

I totally get the want for a manual full-size, and I LOVE mine so I'm a bad influence. I'm also fortunate that for some reason my wife loves full-size trucks, so I don't get any disagreement from her.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
On the wife front, my wife really is right. We don't need another car, we've got a 2012 gti and a 2013 rdx, each with under 32k miles, and there isn't any indication of them breaking down. We've got a 2001 Sierra and a 1999 suburban within 10 minutes of us that we can borrow (usually even on a whim), and I really like my 3rd stall for fixing things and storing things (and I would rather not park a truck outside all the time).

That's why I thought a wrangler would be a cool 3rd car - 4x4 for winter days when the GTI won't even make it down the driveway, open top fun in the summer, etc. But a wrangler isn't really practical either.. that where a full size pickup comes in. 4wd for winter, any towing or big menards runs are a piece of cake, etc. And I really only want a man pedal, because the idea of rowing my own gears in a full sizer sounds amazing.

Idk, I'll probably just stick it out and keep borrowing our parents trucks for home depot runs or towing/hauling anything. I feel like a damn leech, but they really don't seem to mind. Once I get a shed though at my future house, it's game over.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion

Nice setup, brah. Dem Speakers. It's Rocktober every month in your garage!

PetrolHead

On the wife front, my wife really is right. We don't need another car, we've got a 2012 gti and a 2013 rdx, each with under 32k miles, and there isn't any indication of them breaking down. We've got a 2001 Sierra and a 1999 suburban within 10 minutes of us that we can borrow (usually even on a whim), and I really like my 3rd stall for fixing things and storing things (and I would rather not park a truck outside all the time).

That's why I thought a wrangler would be a cool 3rd car - 4x4 for winter days when the GTI won't even make it down the driveway, open top fun in the summer, etc. But a wrangler isn't really practical either.. that where a full size pickup comes in. 4wd for winter, any towing or big menards runs are a piece of cake, etc. And I really only want a man pedal, because the idea of rowing my own gears in a full sizer sounds amazing.

Idk, I'll probably just stick it out and keep borrowing our parents trucks for home depot runs or towing/hauling anything. I feel like a damn leech, but they really don't seem to mind. Once I get a shed though at my future house, it's game over.

I've got 4 cars, and I think I finally have the wife used to it. My next step is buying an abandoned house to mow over for a garage or buying some property on a lake a few hours out of the city to put a barn and lake house on. Then, MOAR cars. I might as well just embrace my car ADD and begin a collection.

BUT, I can see your point. Not about the adversity to parking outside (it's a requirement for a beater), but if you have easy access to a truck, then buying one for yourself is a bit harder to justify. It is awesome to drive, it's great to have in the case of deep snow, and I love the ease of being able to pick stuff up on a whim, but it's harder to justify when you already have some sort of access. Sure the cars don't have any sign of things going wrong, but they're both salvage, and having the third vehicle when you need it is very valuable.

Jeeps are awesome, but I think a Truck is more useful as a third vehicle, honestly.

Chris, when you were doing your search did you look at any other brands, or just gm?

I did, though not enough to comment on it. When I was moving, I was intent on keeping my turbo Yaris, and wanted a GM product so that I could visit some union plants and facilities that look down on non-GM products. At the time, it made the most sense, and I really do love my K1500.

From my brief research, I do know that the Rams rusted something awful, to the point that even many western trucks had some rust. I knew that in Michigan they'd be terrible. F-150s are pretty solid, but I struggled to find many extended cab 4x4 examples, and I really wanted both. I'm sure they're out there, and I think that at the end, a K1500 or F-150 is a solid choice.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I've got my eyes on a k1500 too mainly because parts are plentiful and cheap, and my father in law has had a full size gmt400 for as long as I've known him, so he's been down the road of what things break and how to fix them. My uncle's also swear by the k1500's and 2500's they've used them forever in their construction business.

Ever consider a diesel, Chris?

PetrolHead

Yes, parts are stupid easy to get. I love that aspect. Auto zone stocks anything and everything.

I'd definitely consider a diesel, but they hold their value too well, and they're overkill for what I need.

The sun can out for Ol Blue, had to snap a few coming out of the store: