GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Masters FX350 Review

mtorrent

Passed Driver's Ed
Djaikon, do you have the drop in or the SMFW config? I have the last one. Looking forward for CM answer.

djaikon

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear. What kind of driving do you do?

I haven't ever raced the vehicle, or taken it to the track. I use it as my daily driver and the odd spirited driving around town; something this clutch is advertised as doing extremely well. I've never once dropped the clutch, stalled the car or anything like that, and also paid very close attention to my driving style during the break-in period as well. I'll send out an email to CM tonight to see what they say.

djaikon

Ready to race!
Djaikon, do you have the drop in or the SMFW config? I have the last one. Looking forward for CM answer.

I got the full clutch kit with the SMFW

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I haven't ever raced the vehicle, or taken it to the track. I use it as my daily driver and the odd spirited driving around town; something this clutch is advertised as doing extremely well. I've never once dropped the clutch, stalled the car or anything like that, and also paid very close attention to my driving style during the break-in period as well. I'll send out an email to CM tonight to see what they say.

What's your city/highway driving percentage? Just curious.

kern417

Go Kart Champion

that's why i was pissed about my fx400 failing. yeah it's rated much higher than my power level but they advertise it to be streetable. i took it to the strip and raced several times on it with no issue, then within a week or so it went from flawless to completely shot. worst case scenario, they should be able to rebuild it for a couple hundred bucks.

djaikon

Ready to race!
that's why i was pissed about my fx400 failing. yeah it's rated much higher than my power level but they advertise it to be streetable. i took it to the strip and raced several times on it with no issue, then within a week or so it went from flawless to completely shot. worst case scenario, they should be able to rebuild it for a couple hundred bucks.

Even if they do that, I still have to pay someone to remove it, then probably be without my only vehicle for 2+ weeks while I ship it from Canada and wait for it to be rebuilt, then pay someone to install it. So in the end, I guess I'm probably better off just getting a different clutch...a southbend or something I can buy locally.

mtorrent

Passed Driver's Ed
Ups, I'm like you, 90% heavy stop and go in my case and just 5000 miles on it. Let's see what happens... I'm thinking to switch to SB drop in with my stock DMFW if 350 fails

djaikon

Ready to race!
Ups, I'm like you, 90% heavy stop and go in my case and just 5000 miles on it. Let's see what happens... I'm thinking to switch to SB drop in with my stock DMFW if 350 fails

Have you heard of any failures with that config? I'd be interested in keeping my stock DMFW just for noise. The FX350 was really noisy.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else experiencing some extreme gear shudder on their 350 setup? If i let the clutch out a hair too slowly my entire front end shakes like the gears are mashing up together.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else experiencing some extreme gear shudder on their 350 setup? If i let the clutch out a hair too slowly my entire front end shakes like the gears are mashing up together.

This may be happening because you're not be giving it enough gas.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
too much slipping = shudder. get the rpms up and let the clutch out "briskly" to get going. you can't slip it like an organic clutch.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
too much slipping = shudder. get the rpms up and let the clutch out "briskly" to get going. you can't slip it like an organic clutch.

Yeah that's what I was thinking....It does seem to do it less when I rev up a bit before letting the clutch out. Any tips to driving in town with a 350? I seem to have the biggest problems getting going from a stoplight with someone in front of me. People in OK tend to accelerate very slowly (as in...my clutch creep accelerates faster than they do), so I have to play with the clutch engagement in order to not accelerate into the back of them.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that's what I was thinking....It does seem to do it less when I rev up a bit before letting the clutch out. Any tips to driving in town with a 350? I seem to have the biggest problems getting going from a stoplight with someone in front of me. People in OK tend to accelerate very slowly (as in...my clutch creep accelerates faster than they do), so I have to play with the clutch engagement in order to not accelerate into the back of them.

yea too much slipping will cause major shudder with this clutch setup...sigh,with the city with stop and go traffic it gets kind of annoying..definitely adding more gas will make it smoother. i get shudders backing up on hills as well. so far i have 11,000 miles on my clutch. sigh hopefully it'll last at least another 20-30k miles. these clutches are expensive.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
this is what they meant when they said it's more of an on off switch. let out your inner ricer and tap tap tap that throttle to keep the revs up if you need to move forward slowly. and of course give yourself more room before you try to move forward. people here accelerate slowly too. i don't even put the car into gear until the person in front of me starts moving.