GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DeAutoKey vs RDash LED Plate Lights

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Are these easy to install? I'm thinking of buying the full set needing the license plate leds for 94.99... Let me now if this can be done by myself with the tools provided..

Yeah, the license plate prongs line up usually,99% of the time, due to the odd tilt of the VW plug it sometimes does not line up, even if they don't line up, the metal prong usually catches the straight metal piece and it will bend the metal into the prong, maybe hard to explain.. here is a video of a full DIY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9HXHQmsGo

eg6721

Ready to race!
Bump for deautokey.

Shipping was fast – despite USPS f'ups they responded same day!
Installation was a breeze (esp with tools). The most pain in the ass was taking off the metal covers IMO...not that it was difficult, just a pain in the ass.

Some pics for anyone considering these. Interior lights were left on but can't see much from the 35% tint. Got the entire kit with red footwells...and black resin coated vinyl insert to make VW pop a bit more :)

Also, any blue tint you see is reflected off the NY plates.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Bump for deautokey.

Shipping was fast – despite USPS f'ups they responded same day!
Installation was a breeze (esp with tools). The most pain in the ass was taking off the metal covers IMO...not that it was difficult, just a pain in the ass.

Some pics for anyone considering these. Interior lights were left on but can't see much from the 35% tint. Got the entire kit with red footwells...and black resin coated vinyl insert to make VW pop a bit more :)

Also, any blue tint you see is reflected off the NY plates.

Thanks for the feedback and pics! Clean car :thumbsup:

spiker369

on air, don't care
Going to be doing another review shortly of the deautokey kit (since it's coming up on a year of use) along with a sneak peak at something they've got coming.

miami90

Ready to race!
The dome light on driver side is flickering. I don't think its the fault of the led, but the prongs are loose. How do I fix this?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
The dome light on driver side is flickering. I don't think its the fault of the led, but the prongs are loose. How do I fix this?

Hey, it could be a loose prong or the LED, to test, switch the LED with one that is working. Let us know what happens. If it flickers then the prong could be loose, with a needle nose pliers you can lightly press the prongs together, just make sure the car lights are off to avoid popping a fuse.
We have a Lifetime Warranty so we will replace the LED if something is wrong.

You can email deAutoKey@gmail.com for help also.

Thank you :thumbsup:

miami90

Ready to race!
Hey, it could be a loose prong or the LED, to test, switch the LED with one that is working. Let us know what happens. If it flickers then the prong could be loose, with a needle nose pliers you can lightly press the prongs together, just make sure the car lights are off to avoid popping a fuse.
We have a Lifetime Warranty so we will replace the LED if something is wrong.

You can email deAutoKey@gmail.com for help also.

Thank you :thumbsup:

I'll definitely check this out tomorrow, thanks.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I keep looking at both options for the A3 now, after having the Rdash ones on the GTI and I'm just not sure I can do either/anything.. this stuff gets sooooo bright.. it's like turning your vehicle into a spaceship :iono:

that said, the deautokey ones definitely look nicer in that they are more white than blue.

valj

Ready to race!
I bought a 100% identical set of license plate led lights on ebay.

Same number of leds, same resistors, same wiring, same white light and absolutely the same connector problem.

The price with shipping was 17 USD

Ebay seller: mhestore2009

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=371096293109

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
So for Christmas my girlfriend got me the DeAutoKey interior LED kit, it's amazing, and she also got me the RDash plate lights.
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51426
DeAutoKey was kind enough to send me a sample of their plate lights to put up against the RDash's blue haze.

So first off, the bulbs:

RDash; as you can see, the 6 clusters of LEDs are in plain sight with little diffusion.

DeAutoKey; there seems to be the same amount of LEDs present, just a lot more plastic diffusion.

Secondly is the size of the resistors:

RDash; they are almost as big as the light housings themselves, and are a tad wider so you cant even velcro them together.

DeAutoKey; clearly they are immensely smaller and easier to work with.

Both of them side by side:

And the part you've all been waiting for, light output:

RDash; slight blue lines going vertical from the car outward.

RDash; f/10 to show the lines better.

DeAutoKey; Clean white light.

DeAutoKey; f/10 to show no discoloration.

Close up; DeAutoKey on the left, RDash on the right; they both put out a good amount of visible light.

All in all, the DeAutoKey LEDs are nice and crisp, I only got them today but I'd definitely recommend them to people.

EDIT: So I've been reading and hearing how people are having fitment issues with the DeAutoKey LED Plate lights.. These next three photos should clear things up and make your fitment perfect and have your plate shining bright!

So this is the stock halogen housing:

And this is the DeAutoKey Plate Light connector:

See any differences? Yeah, the stock ones are bent at an angle while the DeAutoKey's aren't. You might be thinking it's time to return them... WRONG!
Just take a small flathead screwdriver and bend the prongs to match your stock ones and then slip it into the connector on the car.

Perfect!

If you were in a rush and just jammed the DeAutoKey connectors in (I'll admit, I did the night I got them) just take your flat head and bend them to the position of your stock set and they'll work fine (clearly lol).
Enjoy your new lights without paying outrageous fees for an unwanted blue tint. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Santa brought me a set & I just installed these in my Mk6. I just want to comment that I did NOT have to bend the tabs in on the light. My set snapped right in, a 4 minute install. Don't know if that was a production change or I just got lucky. Either way they are a very nice set of license plate LEDs. :thumbsup:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Santa brought me a set & I just installed these in my Mk6. I just want to comment that I did NOT have to bend the tabs in on the light. My set snapped right in, a 4 minute install. Don't know if that was a production change or I just got lucky. Either way they are a very nice set of license plate LEDs. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: yes, they actually did fix this issue so no need to bend or try to mess with the pins - they will line up every time now!

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

They are here by the way:
http://deautokey.com/product/2pcs-mk6-golf-gti-hyper-crisp-white-error-free-led-license-plate-kit

skotcoop

Ready to race!
I liked on fb now what? Also wrote asking if you have military discounts.

skotcoop

Ready to race!