GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive oil blow by when using R-comps?

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Agreed, but I believe this is not a "simple" fix like adding a spoiler or what not to the audi and changing out brake fluid/pads on the Nissan.

This is due to the transverse location of the engine and PCV pickup etc, unless one blocks it completely or installs some kind of fluid/gas filter I don't see it being a simple fix at all :(

Its a bummer, I am kind of eyeing a 4 door gti nowadays to be an jackofalltrades but i may wait until the next gen.

Well this is a simple OEM fix that was proposed elsewhere... I originally dismissed it cause I thought it was a just an OEM style catch can...

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30906

but it's not... it's an air/ oil separator which vents out the gases back into the intake pipe and filters/ returns the oil back to the engine... this would limit loosing oil picked up from the PCV from being blown out with the gases.

Then the enthusiasts that does track can also add an accusump to make up for the lose of oil pressure in high G turns.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Sorry, just saw your post. I'm running Star Specs.

thanks for reply.

that is very disappointing, i guess i keep the rx8 for a while... i think you just saved my a lot of wheel and tire swapping money..

beers

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Tracked yesterday with RE-11's - no problems with any blow-by, etc. But damn, had a great time.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought I would revive this important thread for those who are interested in tracking with r compounds but are worried about oil surge/engine failure. After two hard track weekends at Gingerman and Autobahn in NASA TT, I have had no issues on Nitto NT-01s. The suspension is stock except for hotchkis sways, front and rear, set at medium.

I am considering a step up in r compunds to hoosier r6 and adding coilovers. However, this topic of oil surge in high g left hand turns has me concerned. Do we know how many people have had engine failure from this and, if so, what were the circumstances? If you read about the 08+ STI's, they have tons of treads on ringland / engine failures. Other popularly tracked cars often have their own reports of engine failures. Perhaps, in the grand scheme, our engines are quite reliable on track compared to others? I don't know but I would certainly like to know more before investing in money on coilovers, sport spindles, and 1K hoosiers. So, for those who have gone to r compounds lately, please post your experience. In addition, please post details on your suspension set up and the specific r compunds used.

Last edited:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Subaru's have major issues because one of the heads loses all lubrication during a high-g turn.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I thought I would revive this important thread for those who are interested in tracking with r compounds but are worried about oil surge/engine failure. After two hard track weekends at Gingerman and Autobahn in NASA TT, I have had no issues on Nitto NT-01s. The suspension is stock except for hotchkis sways, front and rear, set at medium.

I am considering a step up in r compunds to hoosier r6 and adding coilovers. However, this topic of oil surge in high g left hand turns has me concerned. Do we know how many people have had engine failure from this and, if so, what were the circumstances? If you read about the 08+ STI's, they have tons of treads on ringland / engine failures. Other popularly tracked cars often have their own reports of engine failures. Perhaps, in the grand scheme, our engines are quite reliable on track compared others? I don't know but I would certainly like to know more before investing in money coilovers, sport spindles, and 1K hoosiers. So, for those who have gone to r compounds over the last lately, please post your experience. In addition, please post details on your suspension set up and the specific r compunds used.

I have a very similar setup to yours..

Running NT01s (soon to be R888s) and haven't had any issues yet. Stock struts+springs. Hotchkis FSB on soft and rear on hard. GC front camber plates set to -2 degrees.

I most likely will be doing coilovers next year....we'll see then.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
That sucks, you would think a baffled oil pan would minimize the oil consumption, the MKV R32 comes with a baffled pan, maybe there's an Audi version that comes baffled that would work?

on a side note I picked up some Hankook Z214 R Comps (245/35/18), the sidewalls seem stiffer than my previous NT01 (225). I scrubbed them in for Fastivus this last weekend @AAA Speedway (Roval), I was amazed of the new level of grip the car has.