GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Software for MK6 250Q DSG Transmission covering 2009-2012 is NOW available!

Deaks2

Ready to race!
So if I get a DSG tune I also get a new stage 2 ECU file?

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
Would a stage 2 DSG flash work well with a Stage 1 tune? I'm particularly interested in being able to decide for myself what gear to be in while in manual mode vs the computer forcing a downshift.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
GIAC stage 2 DSG is no joke! Drive mode is quicker responding and holds gear to a more reasonable point in the rev range, and that's great. But, Sport mode is fantastic. I almost never drove the car in S previously since it just seemed desperate to keep the tach near redline, and would shift way too much trying to do so. Now, it keeps revs in the fat part of the power band and lets you run up through the band, then let off, then get back on it, in one gear. Stock S mode, that's typically at least three shifts. It's a huge difference.

I just drove 120 miles back from Oktoberfest in Big Bear, the first 30 or so of which were on a descending mountain road called Rim of the World, and the rest were in moderate to heavy freeway traffic. Since I won't have my K04 in until Wednesday, I got the ECU flashed over today and set it to stock tune. We were joking that it sucked that I wouldn't have normal (stage 2) power to run down the mountain, but keeping it in sport mode, the car felt every bit as quick, and more confident, since it would normally be jumping from gear to gear up near the upper limit of the torque curve on this type of drive. On the highway, I could pop out to pass and the DSG would know where to go instead of searching for the right gear as both stock D and S tended to do.

There are a bunch of functions that Stage 2 has that I didn't test yet, but even at stock+ power, it really adds a lot to the car's driveability.

I was a little bit nervous about doing it going in, but I couldn't be happier with the DSG tune, and I can't freaking wait to get the K04 in to really put the whole package to use (on a closed course with professional supervision ;))!

Thanks guys!

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the Stage 2 DSG flash reduce the hesitation from a stop or the confusion from a rolling stop or slow turn?

Thanks

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Does the Stage 2 DSG flash reduce the hesitation from a stop or the confusion from a rolling stop or slow turn?

Thanks

Seems to, but I didn't do enough stop-and-go driving to say it with complete confidence. I'm going to write something more complete after having the flash for a little bit

Who is doing your turbo install and flash?

Got the flash done by GIAC up at Oktoberfest and am just running it in stock mode until Tuesday when the K04 goes in. Auto Union Tuning in Huntington Beach is doing the install. They were also doing GIAC flashes up there.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
So i'm still a little confused about the benefits of a DSG flash. With my being stage 2, am i limited in power bec of my stock DSG tune? Will a DSG flash "unlock" more power from my stage 2, or just merely make it feel faster? Does this affect mpg at all since it alters shift points?

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
So i'm still a little confused about the benefits of a DSG flash. With my being stage 2, am i limited in power bec of my stock DSG tune? Will a DSG flash "unlock" more power from my stage 2, or just merely make it feel faster? Does this affect mpg at all since it alters shift points?

You typically will not run into power limitations at Stage 2 with the stock DSG software. Such limitations will become more apparent at K04 power levels. With that being said, you are limited in shift speed by factory programming. Our DSG software carries the same 30 day money back guarantee as our other products, so I invite you to try it out!

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
You typically will not run into power limitations at Stage 2 with the stock DSG software. Such limitations will become more apparent at K04 power levels. With that being said, you are limited in shift speed by factory programming. Our DSG software carries the same 30 day money back guarantee as our other products, so I invite you to try it out!

Thanks for the prompt response. What about MPG, is it affected at all?

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I message Austin on this.. never heard back.

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
Thanks for the prompt response. What about MPG, is it affected at all?

We did not modify "D" mode to retain your normal fuel economy. While fuel economy is largely dependent on your driving style, I would say that even Sport mode will have the same or better economy because the transmission isn't constantly downshifting to keep the RPM's high.

I message Austin on this.. never heard back.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions. Sometimes we lose track of PM's due to receiving so many inquiries.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
We did not modify "D" mode to retain your normal fuel economy. While fuel economy is largely dependent on your driving style, I would say that even Sport mode will have the same or better economy because the transmission isn't constantly downshifting to keep the RPM's high.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions. Sometimes we lose track of PM's due to receiving so many inquiries.

Reviving old thread because this is the one feature that annoys me about the Unitronic Stage 2 DSG flash. The flash shifts quick and is great in S mode as well. It's just that daily around town driving at less than 50MPH means the engine bogs because the flash keeps the DSG at 5th gear.

I think I'm interested in trying this tune on my Stage 3 GTI.

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
Reviving old thread because this is the one feature that annoys me about the Unitronic Stage 2 DSG flash. The flash shifts quick and is great in S mode as well. It's just that daily around town driving at less than 50MPH means the engine bogs because the flash keeps the DSG at 5th gear.

I think I'm interested in trying this tune on my Stage 3 GTI.

Our software comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, and the DSG flash is loaded easily through the OBDII port. Feel free to try it out and see if you like it better!