GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
So I took my car in today for this very problem. Bought mine in December and it's already in the shop.

The sound only comes in after the car warms up for me. Sounds like a high pitched whine. When you turn the car off it sounds totally pathetic. Like the car itself is disappointed.

Like the OP said it's off to the right side of the car. You won't have any problem identifying the noise if it's happening.

So yeah, now I'm running around town in a Suzuki Forenza thanks to Enterprise Rent a Car.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Ohio guys: See Nick at Hatfield.

Legohed

Ready to race!
I know this it says TSi on the thread but..:threadjacked:

Does this noise stop whilst braking? My gf's 2.0TDi has a constant fuzzy hissing type sound whilst driving but it immediately stops when the brakes are applied. She took it to the dealer, he heard it and a little look, then said he didn't know what it was and sent her on her way:mad0259:. I was obviously massively annoyed by this and told her to take it back straight away and demand to leave it there the whole day until they find sommat as there's obviously something amiss:paddle:. She's yet to get round to doing this 'cos of work etc... (I think I need to start another thread:rolleyes:)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I know this it says TSi on the thread but..:threadjacked:

Does this noise stop whilst braking? My gf's 2.0TDi has a constant fuzzy hissing type sound whilst driving but it immediately stops when the brakes are applied. She took it to the dealer, he heard it and a little look, then said he didn't know what it was and sent her on her way:mad0259:. I was obviously massively annoyed by this and told her to take it back straight away and demand to leave it there the whole day until they find sommat as there's obviously something amiss:paddle:. She's yet to get round to doing this 'cos of work etc... (I think I need to start another thread:rolleyes:)

Linked to engine revs? Speed? Could be a pad dragging (caliper not retracting correctly or incorrectly mounted?), something dragging on the rotor (dust shields?), brake booster.... a bunch of things really. Should be easy to diagnose on a lift.

Legohed

Ready to race!
Thanks for those ideas. I'll tell her to reference them when she does finally take it in. I don't know if it was when accelerating, coasting etc 'cos I didn't really go into it. Just heard it whilst she was driving (any speed) and no more when she braked. In fact, think it was still doing it whilst stood idling (foot off brake obviously)!?! I'm gonna have to investigate this more myself........

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Took my car in Monday afternoon and I still don't have it back.

Worst. week. ever. (car wise)

fatbastard1

Passed Driver's Ed
I want to give everyone a heads up. We have seen several water pump failures on the new TSI motor. These failures are occurring on low mileage unmodified TSI's.

It sounds like a failing idler bearing but the sound is coming from the right side of the motor. If it's failing you will be able to hear it fairly easily. Although this is not a very technical explanation, it does sound like some sort of animal is in the engine.

To isolate the sound, you can take a long screw driver, place it on the pump housing and hold it to your ear similar to a stethoscope. To get the screwdriver to the pump, you can stick it though the right of the intake manifold between the runner flap actuator and the manifold.

The dealerships in our area have seen a lot of failures and had lots of new pumps in stock.

The pumps have been superseded by a new part number with a new bearing: 06H 121 026 AF

I'll do a photo 'DIY' diagnosis, removal and replacement on the next one we have in house. I'll update this thread if I find a TSB for the issue.

:thumbup:

Would this part # be obvious to a new buyer? How about by VIN #?

Geofux

Ready to race!
Using a VIN from a Canadian car I had two part #'s for waterpumps come up. Both superceded to the new p/n. I did not check using another VIN but am sure ETKA will still show the old one for all cars.

We haven't seen any of these replacements at the dealer I work at. I did check to see if the new p/n was in our system and it was not in yet. I'm wondering if this is possibly only a certain batch of cars... or like the starters that freeze up in mildly cold temps which has been hit and miss.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
I still don't have my car back. It's been a week as of today to change out one part. I'm starting to get nervous that they messed something up and now they're keeping it to try and fix multiple problems.

How long can it really take to change out a water pump?

I just filled out a bunch of those stupid new car surveys with glowing reviews too. Hahah, not from this point on.

Geofux

Ready to race!
If you're concerned about why it's taking so long you should contact your dealer. If the waterpump had to come from Germany (I can't tell you if that's the case because I'm not at work at the moment) then it will take longer, even if it is considered a 'car-down' situation. If they did find multiple problems they should be advising you on the situation. Call your dealer, now!

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally did get my car back yesterday. It took from Monday afternoon the 5th through Monday the 12th. The reason they gave me was that they ordered the wrong water pump the first time around.

To their credit the sound is gone. Hopefully this turns out to be a very small number of water pumps. The obvious conclusion is that it was a bad batch that were put in at assembly.

Also I'm pretty sure you get this thread as your first hit if you Google 2010 VW GTI water pump.

evosky

Passed Driver's Ed
do you know if this issue was addressed by the time vehicles were going into production and/or manufacture around december or january ?

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
do we know what is wrong with the bearing? Is this something that could haunt someone who plans on keeping their car for 5-10 years (outside of warranty)?

For critical parts such as this, I wish they would just do a damn recall...

If the pump is failing on low mileage new cars it's probably not a wear issue. Even if it were a design issue causing the part to prematurely break we'd still probably see it failing straight across the board consistently. Most likely it's bad QC with the materials that go into the pump leading to a handful of bad bearings.

That shouldn't constitute a recall though. My guess is your pump will either fail due to bad pieces that delivered with it from the factory or it will simply last the lifetime it was expected to because the bearing you happened to get was good. A new revision probably only replaces the bearing with another that has been designed with slightly higher tolerances simply to raise the baseline on the part...