Votes: 20 27.0%
  • KW V1 Coilovers

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
Whatever you choose you will be happy... If you want something compliant... Go with something adjustable so you can mess with it.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
People run konis pretty low and are happy with them I think you will be happy with them and for less then a g they are cheap plus you get some rebound variations

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
x3...I think you'll be happy with the Koni's

Plus you'll save money with them too & have the adjustability

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
If V1s are valved like STs then no. Get the Konis.

Driving on anything other than perfectly smooth roads was an absolute headache. Well, at that height....anything is pretty much a headache.

JustinKYC.

Ready to race!
Whatever you choose you will be happy... If you want something compliant... Go with something adjustable so you can mess with it.

I hope so! Thanks for the input.

People run konis pretty low and are happy with them I think you will be happy with them and for less then a g they are cheap plus you get some rebound variations

They are a really good price. Hard to argue with. Sorry but what's rebound variation? Is that just saying i can adjust how mcuh bounce ill get my stiffening or softening the damping?

x3...I think you'll be happy with the Koni's

Plus you'll save money with them too & have the adjustability

I hope so too! Leaning over towards the Koni's now. Most people have the rears set to full stiff?

V1s. they are superb. and yes, you can go as low as 24-24.2 ish ftg with the V1s.

I've heard the V1s are more performance oriented? I'm not going to track so I don't need anything to stiff. Wow, didn't know the V1s could go that low!

If V1s are valved like STs then no. Get the Konis.

Driving on anything other than perfectly smooth roads was an absolute headache. Well, at that height....anything is pretty much a headache.

Downside of going that low eh...Killed the bum?

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
Rebound will stiffen it or soften...
A good suspension shouldn't bounce...
I have the ksports, full stiff in the back half way up front... I need to stiffen the front though.
It's a really stiff set up but no bounce, actually really refined feeling.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Most people have the rears set to full stiff?

Most people that do that want it geared for better handling though.

If you want a nice ride though....you only need a 1/2 turn from full soft to keep it "buttery" like everyone describes

Ask Jason3d.....he tried the different settings and wanted a smoother/softer ride and ended up sticking with the softer setting in the rear.

The fronts are easy to adjust though and you can change whenever you want

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
They are a really good price. Hard to argue with. Sorry but what's rebound variation? Is that just saying i can adjust how mcuh bounce ill get my stiffening or softening the damping?

Yes but if you want to get technical The adjustments on koni aren't linear they significantly ramp up the closer you get to full stiff. Also koni suggests using the rebound adjustment for deterioration as the shocks wear.

JustinKYC.

Ready to race!
Rebound will stiffen it or soften...
A good suspension shouldn't bounce...
I have the ksports, full stiff in the back half way up front... I need to stiffen the front though.
It's a really stiff set up but no bounce, actually really refined feeling.

So the more stiff, the more my bum will die?

Most people that do that want it geared for better handling though.

If you want a nice ride though....you only need a 1/2 turn from full soft to keep it "buttery" like everyone describes

Ask Jason3d.....he tried the different settings and wanted a smoother/softer ride and ended up sticking with the softer setting in the rear.

The fronts are easy to adjust though and you can change whenever you want

I'll keep that in mind when I get the people to install. Thanks for the info!

Yes but if you want to get technical The adjustments on koni aren't linear they significantly ramp up the closer you get to full stiff. Also koni suggests using the rebound adjustment for deterioration as the shocks wear.

That's something I'll have to play with though eh. What's rebound adjustment? Is that the same as damping adjustment? I don't know much. :(

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
That's something I'll have to play with though eh. What's rebound adjustment? Is that the same as damping adjustment? I don't know much. :(

This is an interesting read

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

The short of it is. There is compression (car goes down or suspension gets compressed) and rebound (car goes up or suspension decompresses). The job of the shock is to control those forces rebound adjustment allows you to adjust the rate or force need to decompress the shock. Too much and the tire won't stay in contact with the road too little and it will be bouncy.

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
So the more stiff, the more my bum will die?

(

Sort of... There is a difference between firm and harsh... Low quality suspension when set to firm is a bit harsh. Higher quality will be firm but more refined.

Everyone has a difference in opinion though. I would go to some GTGs, steal people cars with different suspension set ups and go joy ride in them....

Err maybe ask for a ride....

JustinKYC.

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm leaning toward the Konis, shame Concept 1 doesn't carry them.

I'm just gonna order them from online most likely.

This is an interesting read

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

The short of it is. There is compression (car goes down or suspension gets compressed) and rebound (car goes up or suspension decompresses). The job of the shock is to control those forces rebound adjustment allows you to adjust the rate or force need to decompress the shock. Too much and the tire won't stay in contact with the road too little and it will be bouncy.

Sweet. Thanks for that. Clears up things for me. :thumbsup:

Sort of... There is a difference between firm and harsh... Low quality suspension when set to firm is a bit harsh. Higher quality will be firm but more refined.

Everyone has a difference in opinion though. I would go to some GTGs, steal people cars with different suspension set ups and go joy ride in them....

Err maybe ask for a ride....

Haha. Yea I don't have enough experience with how it feels because I've only sat in my dad's lowered 996. But at that time I knew nothing about suspension so I can't really recall how it felt.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
I will never understand why some love Koni coilovers:

The Koni Coils will pop, crash because they have to be too low, and wander all over the road. Terrible coils. Killed Koni for me...

I can probably get you a good deal on SS if you want since my buddy upgraded to DG/B8. Personally I'd sell the Koni's and get B8s with your spring of choice. If you like low, then VWR IMO.

My buddy hated the SS since he had stock dampers. They were really low and rode poorly. Looking under the car at the back the progressive coils looked bound to me. I'm not a fan of progressive coils after the H&R, and the Konis... Never had a good experience with them.

About the Konis, how bad would it bother you to hear metallic pings when turning into your driveway, or going over speed bumps? They are designed to be so low, and if you go above that then the noises they make get worse, especially as the springs sag, and sag, and sag. It's up to you. You might have to try it to find out if they are for you. Also, they do not hold a straight line on the freeway so be ready to make constant corrections.

Really couldn't say... Definitely the Koni springs are trash. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class-action, or recall on them.

The dampers are probably fine, but after spending $1300 for coils and some install parts, plus installation, to have to go through that is unacceptable. IMO A visual comparison between Koni and Bilstein also shows a general build quality superiority with the Bilsteins. Pull up pics of both and look at them (welds, paint, etc.). :iono:

Trust me if I thought the coil overs were livable, I wouldn't have sold them and switched suspensions. I'm a bit older and want a suspension that I don't have to worry about, or keep changing. It's a lot of time, effort, and money to switch out.

Many others experienced the same.