GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I'm going K04 and I will need new/better tires for traction. I was debating on getting the michelin Super sports. How do the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 compare? Tread life comparison/traction/road noise. This will be a daily driver. You can even suggest other tires. I will be in Sacramento area and don't need an all weather tire. Thanks for the help.

If you don't need an all season tire, go with the Super Sports. They are a little louder than the A/S 3 but in a different league as far as traction goes. I have had both the PSS and now the A/S 3 and while the A/S 3 is the best all season tire I have ever driven on....it's still an all season tire.

The tires I have had on my GTI and TDI in order of traction / would buy again.
1. Pilot Super Sport- amazing traction, lasted 29k miles...should have bought again.

2. Pilot Sport A/S 3- on the TDI for 1.5k miles and so far these are very impressive, I think they really do have more traction than my Conti DW.... and much better steering feel. 45k tread wear warranty also.

3. Conti DW- On my GTI now, bought on recommendation from the forum... not impressed at all. Good straight line traction, horrible turn in feel, numb is the best way to describe them. Under hard braking they move all over the place, can't wait to get rid of them.

4. Conti DWS- Were on the TDI for 35k before they wore down to the wear bars. Good snow traction for an all season tire with the typical Conti mushy steering feel, would not buy again.

5. Conti Pro Contact- meh, not much to say about them. Good turn in, weak acceleration traction.

6. Pirelli P-zero Nero AS- good steering feel, decent cornering traction, horrible acceleration traction. Trying to accelerate on these in the dry was a joke, felt like a 600 tread wear tire, no bite at all. Could not get rid of fast enough.

georgy

Ready to race!
I find that an all season tire might have good grip when fresh, but it quickly deteriorates with wear, where as summer performance tires are pretty consistently sticky until the end.

Can't convince me that A/S 3s would be a better choice than the DWs with performance in mind...

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I agree the DWs are a bit vague with hard cornering sometimes but the grip is phenomenal. So what's the verdict on the pilot 3 A/S, available yet or no? I'm looking for an all season when my summers wear out.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
If you don't need an all season tire, go with the Super Sports. They are a little louder than the A/S 3 but in a different league as far as traction goes. I have had both the PSS and now the A/S 3 and while the A/S 3 is the best all season tire I have ever driven on....it's still an all season tire.

1. Pilot Super Sport- amazing traction, lasted 29k miles...should have bought again.

2. Pilot Sport A/S 3- on the TDI for 1.5k miles and so far these are very impressive, I think they really do have more traction than my Conti DW.... and much better steering feel. 45k tread wear warranty also.

3. Conti DW- On my GTI now, bought on recommendation from the forum... not impressed at all. Good straight line traction, horrible turn in feel, numb is the best way to describe them. Under hard braking they move all over the place, can't wait to get rid of them.

4. Conti DWS- Were on the TDI for 35k before they wore down to the wear bars. Good snow traction for an all season tire with the typical Conti mushy steering feel, would not buy again.

5. Conti Pro Contact- meh, not much to say about them. Good turn in, weak acceleration traction.

6. Pirelli P-zero Nero AS- good steering feel, decent cornering traction, horrible acceleration traction. Trying to accelerate on these in the dry was a joke, felt like a 600 tread wear tire, no bite at all. Could not get rid of fast enough.

Nice post bro

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I agree the DWs are a bit vague with hard cornering sometimes but the grip is phenomenal. So what's the verdict on the pilot 3 A/S, available yet or no? I'm looking for an all season when my summers wear out.

My apologies for the delayed response, I was out of the office. The Most recent ETA from Michelin on the 225/40R18 is 10/9, 235/40R18 in stock, 225/45R17 in stock, 225/35R19 in stock.

b_waggs83

Ready to race!

thanks for the post. This helped alot. I will be getting the Super Sports. I've read a ton of reviews and you just sealed the deal. :thumbup:

dub*man

Ready to race!
Michelin makes the best tires hands down. I have the Pilot Super Sports on my GTI right now. I'll be getting a set of the A/S3 for my second car that travels up to Canada quite often.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
My apologies for the delayed response, I was out of the office. The Most recent ETA from Michelin on the 225/40R18 is 10/9, 235/40R18 in stock, 225/45R17 in stock, 225/35R19 in stock.

:readthethread:

devondunphy

Passed Driver's Ed
yup, about to place my order for these today.
just waiting for a call back from one of tire racks recommended my shop.

devondunphy

Passed Driver's Ed
Remember to click through the link on the page to credit the forum...I will also expedite for you :D Awesome avatar by the way!

ooh, good call almost forgot about that. i re-did my order using the link up top.
thanks everyone for the recommendations, i can't wait to see how these A/S 3's work out!
:thumbup:

riversidevw

Passed Driver's Ed
Precautions with Tire Dressings or Protectants?

Just had a set of these A/S 3 tires installed yesterday. I'm enthusiastic about the responsive handling and quiet ride. Admittedly it's only been a few miles. I also started out quite happy last year with a set of Conti Extreme DW summer tires; that euphoria didn't last long. I have another new set of these Michelins on a ten year old 986 Boxster. With all the high-tech chemistry (alchemy?) that Michelin puts into these great new products, are there any concerns on their part about tire dressings?

I already avoid those with solvents, oily petroleum products or silicones. I usually just spray on and wipe some 303 protectant for a natural look, though a Blackfire gel product gives a better-than new low-gloss appearance, really tempting.

I've heard rumors that Michelin has occasionally blamed tire dressings for sidewall warranty issues. Thought our Tire Rack friends could shed some light on this. That's why my post is here, not the detailing forum.