GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple Directions, One Goal - George11's GTI

George11

Ready to race!
Time to research suspension upgrades, to better assist with power delivery to the ground. While I understand this is always going to be a problem for front wheel drive cars, I am to improve the performance without going full racecar since I daily the car.

The parts primarily I am interested in are bushings, control arms, subframe support, and mounts for the engine & transmission.
Car looked great and it was nice meeting you! Go Mercedes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, great to meet you and the LA county VW"s.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Locke

Ready to race!
Spotted!

George11

Ready to race!
Found out my endlinks from 034 motorsports have loosened again.

Stopped by Pure Motorsport, they can order my parts as early as next Thursday since the owner is on summer vacation. I will likely being doing this in stages but the end goal has been determined.

Parts are now:
SuperPro Lower Control Arms (1 degree of positive caster)
SuperPro Roll Center kit
Ground Control Camber Plates (No cutting required on shock towers)
034 Motorsports dogbone
034 Motorsports dogbone insert
034 Motorsports engine / trans mount

Big thank you to the reviews of other members.

George11

Ready to race!
Long term review on the Textar pads, they dust like crazy. My front wheels are noticeably darker from brake dust about 3 to 4 days after a full clean. I have heard great reviews for the store brand pads and reduced dusting on Porsche forums.

Outside of that the car is working great, I notice at partial throttle the APR stage 2 revised map has some stutter points, never happens with full throttle. Really excited for the end of the month. I am heading to Buttonwillow on July 30th and Fastivus with track time on August 14th. I hope to do Buttonwillow again in October and some other events this winter.

George11

Ready to race!
I have been eyeing the shift knobs at BFI for weeks and almost pulled the trigger on the new GS2 MAGMA shift knob. Though in researching for a white shift knob I found this gem of an option I am working on getting made. The pin is a VW Bubblehead and semi rare, that the place (http://www.hotrodshiftknob.com/) that usually makes them prefers customers find the pins for them. So my pin is on its way from Greece then this will be made in the not to distant future. :happyanim:

ahard48

Ready to race!
Just went through your thread and the car looks great! Always have to take time to appreciate and give feed back for my fellow CW gti's.

I really like the gloss black grills and wanted to add that as I just got my lower front valence color matched CW. I love it but know its not your style which is totally fine. The black looks so sharp though.

I am waiting on my badgeless grill and its the same one you have. Again, think it looks so sharp and clean.

How long did you have you 42dd DP on? Was the bolt seized or just so awkward with the cat you couldn't get it? I plan on going this route.

Interesting idea with the shift knob, totally pull the trigger. It'll be different and you gotta love the little different things, makes the car your own.

Sub'd!

Last edited:

George11

Ready to race!
How long did you have you 42dd DP on? Was the bolt seized or just so awkward with the cat you couldn't get it? I plan on going this route.

Sub'd!

Thank you for checking out my build thread. The 42dd DP, just has an awkward bolt location that I could not reach with the car on jack stands for the cat section. This might be an isolated issue with how my cat was not centered and a little close to one of the flanges.

Any pics of your car?

George11

Ready to race!
Tracked the car this Saturday at Buttonwillow. Did inteo group since it has been a long time since I have been there. I plan on going later this year again, with timer and video recording. Outside temps reached 114 F. The car reveales an issue that with commuting is less noticable.

I am currently having uneven throttle when at partial throttle raising slowly. It happens on pulls starting at 2500 rpm until 4500 rpm, pulsing qbout 2 to 3 times. I have read some threads though no definable solution was every posted. I plan on checking what people recommend which is plugs, coils, and dirty sensors. Some people claim it is the intake manifolds flapper system as well.

Last edited:

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I could be completely wrong, but I've had an intake manifold flapper valve stuck open code, and an over advanced timing code for a few months, car runs fine, no misfires, real world mpg is down a touch but that's it. In daily driving conditions I've occasionally noticed what feels like a slight surge/stutter in the same RPM range at partial throttle, might be worth looking at the intake manifold

George11

Ready to race!
I reached out to my local APR dealer Pure Motorsports and found the car was on an older tune. After the upgrade from an old file from December 2015, the car feels smooth again. The issue did not pop up while at Fastivus, I wish I had more time to check out the cars but with doing the track event most of my time was spent on drinking water and talking to others in my group.

I have a 4 point roll cage on order from Autopower Industries in San Diego, unsure of what seats I will be buying though I would like them to be fixed back.

Locke

Ready to race!
Roll cage? Sounds sweet! I assume you just upgraded to the 2.1 stage 2 software?

George11

Ready to race!
Roll cage? Sounds sweet! I assume you just upgraded to the 2.1 stage 2 software?
Exactly, a minor update to the 2.1 file. No more hesitation at partial throttle or pulsating response.

Yeah, the roll cage is due to my families request since I am tracking my car.

George11

Ready to race!
Slight hiccup over the weekend. My Spulen catch cans pcv block off on the intake manifold came off. I replaced it with the apr boost tap since could not find it.

Also added new red top coil packs and a new set off NGK BKR7EIX.

George11

Ready to race!
Pulled the trigger on some of the most expensive parts to add to the car outside of the wheels. A Cobra Suzuka Pro-GT seat, Schroth Profi 6H racing harness and Autopower roll bar. All due to be installed in two weeks.