GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MDI SW update:

rcopp

Ready to race!
I ordered the cable to do this today. I should have it tomorrow or Friday. If it fixes the lag, I won't be wanting a new head unit either, ad that will make my wallet happy. If anyone in San Diego needs the update, I'll be glad to hook you up as soon as I have the cable.

thekaptn

Ready to race!
Just updated mine, I've got a 250gig hdd for my music that I hook up with a mini USB > MDI. Dropped the file on it, plugged it in, update took about 45 secs, unplugged it, deleted the file, and now good to go. I can't vouch for it speeding everything up, it was already quick with the hdd. But it did recognize the drive faster if anything.

OldSkoolNJ

Ready to race!
For those of you who may have some questions I can clear up some. This does indeed load on the RCD-510. I bought my GTi February of 2010. When the update came out last year for it I did indeed download and install that successfully. I did see a speed up then and when turning off the car and coming back the interface remembered where you were on the ipod as I did not before that update. This new update was downloaded and successfully loaded on the same GTi with RCD-510. I instantly noticed a speed up in the interface. I have an iPod Classic with only but a few GBs free. I have in the range of 27,000 songs loaded on it (all high quality format (read large than normal file size). This update did indeed speed up how fast i could navigate and at a noticeable difference. If you can load this up. You may have to do this yourself or find someone who can do it. I have heard of very little success getting dealerships to do so. Half of the time they are not made aware of this process or updates as they come out.

If you need help in my area I will be happy to help out.

Kevin

seppieboy

Ready to race!
For those of you who may have some questions I can clear up some. This does indeed load on the RCD-510. I bought my GTi February of 2010. When the update came out last year for it I did indeed download and install that successfully. I did see a speed up then and when turning off the car and coming back the interface remembered where you were on the ipod as I did not before that update. This new update was downloaded and successfully loaded on the same GTi with RCD-510. I instantly noticed a speed up in the interface. I have an iPod Classic with only but a few GBs free. I have in the range of 27,000 songs loaded on it (all high quality format (read large than normal file size). This update did indeed speed up how fast i could navigate and at a noticeable difference. If you can load this up. You may have to do this yourself or find someone who can do it. I have heard of very little success getting dealerships to do so. Half of the time they are not made aware of this process or updates as they come out.

If you need help in my area I will be happy to help out.

Kevin

great info! thanks! will have to update mine too

rcopp

Ready to race!
I wanted to do this today, but apparently my car already has the current version, it keeps saying update not possible. If that's the case, then why is mine so slow and have skips? Anyone have an answer.

1analguy

Ready to race!
I am totally ganking this from vwvortex...

This works, the skipping is gone and the lag in the UI is now totally acceptable. The stereo actually works as it should now.

I downloaded the new mdi.bin.enc file from

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/pdf/media_in/mdi.bin.enc

and just installed it. It is definitely a new SW revision, and much bigger than the last one. One note, after installing the SW, be sure to reboot the radio (push the <,>, & day/night buttons simultaneously)

There is also a new compatibility document here:

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/fileadmin/pdf/media_in/MDI_Empfehlungsliste_V002_6_MGE_VWZ_deutsch.pdf

You can use Google translate to read it if you are not fluent in German.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.volkswagen-zubehoer.de%2Ffileadmin%2Fpdf%2Fmedia_in%2FMDI_Empfehlungsliste_V002_6_MGE_VWZ_deutsch.pdf&act=url

Somewhere on the VW site there's a button that converts it all to English. To avoid all the hassle, just go here instead:

http://87.230.74.92/ci_softwareupdates00.html

Down near the bottom of the page, click on "Update CW 22/2011 download" to download the update...and after you do, do not change the name of the file. An explanation of the updating procedure can be found in the document at the bottom of the page (click on "Download guide"). They suggest using an otherwise-empty USB thumb drive, which worked perfectly on my RNS-315. There's also a PDF (click on "PDF document") with loads of info, so read it through and then have at it...

And, come on folks. With all the money we dump into our cars, is $35 really too much (for the 000 051 446 B adapter cable) to spend in order to be able to update our radios (with free software!) every so often?

P

plac

I ordered a cable. Never liked how my iPhone interface always sucked.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I wish they would release a software update that let us change the color scheme on the RCD510.

edgary

Ready to race!
I got my cable this past weekend, downloaded the file from the first post and yesterday I plugged the USB to my RCD-510, selected Media-In, and it updated automatically.

I do notice a bit of an improvement in SD-card navigation, and now I can also use any USB memory sticks to hold additional music.

Great value for $22 :)

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
stupid question...would this work by putting it on a SD card and then putting that into the SD slot? Probably not, but I thought I would ask. I don't think I have the USB cable.

Tried that in the past and had no luck at all getting it to recognize it. Would be nice and make a lot of sense but the update is for the MDI part and not the SD slot so who knows how it works internally.

blumk6

Just got my MDI-USB cable and did the update this evening, and wow, what a difference! If anyone in the d/fw area needs this update, I'd be happy to meet up. Just let me know.

BeauG

Ready to race!
I'm doing this tonight when my MDI > USB cable comes in. If anyone needs this update in the So. NH area hit me up.