GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a blown k04

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I might be crazy, but I bought a blown k04 off another member here. I knew going in that it was going to be a project, but I'm always one to learn and get my hands dirty for the sake of saving a little coin. It'll be fun, and I'll come away with an in-depth understanding of the turbo installed in my car. I may even be able to go k04 for cheaper than I've seen yet on the forums!

Background
The previous owner said his timing chain tensioner gave up and his chain then skipped a couple teeth, taking his bottom end and turbo along with it. I was guessing there was probably some oil starvation going on. He got a new engine and an FSI k04 adapted to his new TSI and sold me the bad turbo with the disclaimer that it needed a new CHRA. He and his shop got a new compressor housing from CTS and shipped the turbo, compressor housing and DV relocate off to me.

The Turbo, As Shipped
I got all pieces to the turbo save for the plate to block off the old FSI PCV dump hole. Out of the box, there was heavy damage to the compressor wheel (including some missing fragments) which spun freely. The turbine wheel was seized. The compressor faceplate wasn't attached to the rest of the CHRA. It was hanging by the shaft, which was constrained somewhere in the CHRA so it couldn't be separated. Clearly the shaft snapped inside the CHRA somewhere.

Other than that, the unit looked fairly good. The manifold was predictably full of carbon, but without any gashes. The wastegate valve moves freely but doesn't have any play. Nothing wrong with the wastegate actuator. The compressor housing was new, and save for a few really light scratches on the interior it looked new.

The Plan
Well clearly this isn't ready to go into the car. I need to find out which k04 CHRA this car takes. I'm also only stage 1, so I still need a downpipe (catted and resonated preferred). The full list of requirements:
  • CHRA
  • PCV blockoff plate
  • T-bolt clamps
  • Spark plugs
  • R8 Coil packs
  • Downpipe (CBFA+CCTA, catted and resonated)
  • DP gaskets (2)
  • Intake coupler (is the k04 inlet the same diameter as the k03?)
  • APR Mobile for inevitable debugging
  • 3-bar MAP sensor
  • Tune
Now I'm on a budget for all things car-related, so realistically I won't have all this ready until the middle of winter. That means I'll be installing it in the spring of 2015.

In the meantime I'll be updating this thread with research, DIY's and final pricing.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Reserved for final prices and links to major updates

Essential costs are those that are specific to the k04 installation. Auxiliary costs are those that are not necessarily a part of going k04. Bought items in red

Costs - Essential
  • $464.22 Turbo (manifold, wastegate actuator and compressor housing)
  • $103.40 DV relocate kit
  • $463.47 CHRA
  • $500 Tune
  • $50 3 bar MAP sensor
  • $?? PCV block plate
  • TSI Turbo install kit

Costs - Auxilliary
  • $250 Downpipe
  • $67.80 R8 Coilpacks
  • Spark plugs
  • $199.95 APR mobile
  • Badges

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
So you are pretty much just looking at buying a center section then? Any idea where that would come from? Borg Werner? My K04 has a ton of miles on it, but I can't wait to see where this goes for the inevitable rebuild sometime down the road. I wonder if the F23T center section would work?

USPMotorsports

Ready to race!
Hey I dont know if you are interested but I do have a turbo that is brand new but was damaged in shipping from BW.

The part that was damaged is the backplate behind the compressor wheel. Everything else in the turbo is brand new and has never been installed on a car. Now I have not taken it apart so if there is something internally that could possibly be damaged I am not aware.

Let me know if you may be possibly interested. If not best of luck. I will be keeping up with the thread because - well I like to see cool stuff happen.

Phil

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Sub'd cant wait to see the results

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Update: Took apart the turbo assembly last night down to the CHRA. Have a video of it that I'll upload later today.

So you are pretty much just looking at buying a center section then? Any idea where that would come from? Borg Werner? My K04 has a ton of miles on it, but I can't wait to see where this goes for the inevitable rebuild sometime down the road. I wonder if the F23T center section would work?

Yep! I got a link from the FS thread to a CHRA that was $250. Chinese built, but some of the best steel products are coming out of China these days so it really doesn't bother me. My reservation, though, is that the compressor wheel doesn't appear to be billet steel. Sure it'll work, but I'd have significantly slower spool-up with the heavier wheel (and potentially issues with heat under spirited driving).

Found the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-Audi-S3-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e8f0dd9c&vxp=mtr

Hey I dont know if you are interested but I do have a turbo that is brand new but was damaged in shipping from BW.

The part that was damaged is the backplate behind the compressor wheel. Everything else in the turbo is brand new and has never been installed on a car. Now I have not taken it apart so if there is something internally that could possibly be damaged I am not aware.

Let me know if you may be possibly interested. If not best of luck. I will be keeping up with the thread because - well I like to see cool stuff happen.

Phil

Sweet! Well I'll need to see if I can't get the compressor wheel off.. The chra shaft is snapped and the compressor wheel is rotating on the shaft so it's a bit tough to get the backplate off :laugh:. But I think that my backplate is okay. Check for a PM :thumbsup:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Also, have 1 of 4 badges ready :thumbsup:

YES I'M UP-BADGING LEEMEALONE

uploadfromtaptalk1399648389555.jpg

butchered by autocorrecr

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Glad everything is working out for you! Watching this makes me cringe!

Hah! Yeah I bet. But you have a new motor so at least you don't have to worry about what this is doing to your car as it sits today :yikes:

butchered by autocorrecr

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
You may be able to email Frankenturbo to see if they would sell you a chra. I know they will sell you one for $150 if you have their turbo. I don't know if it will fit or anything but who knows its worth an email.