GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a blown k04

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I am considering one, definitely. Also probably going to get the PTP turbo blanket installed with it. I mean it just prolongs the install even further, but I might as well while the turbo isn't on the car.

I've still yet to go stage 2, so that'll hold be over for a bit.

While it's off the car take the time for a proper SoCalPorting P&P with ceramic coating and add a PTP Turbo blanket at that time, trust me, well worth it.

PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
PTP Turbo Downpipe Lava Heat Wrap / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
SoCalPorting Turbo & Exhaust Manifold Port & Polish / Click Here for my HYDE16 review

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the update. I have been having trouble trying to source one for a reasonable price. The only OEM one that was found cost a little over $700.

$700?! Wtf... Where did you find that info? $400-$500 is what I'm expecting to pay.

butchered by autocorrecr

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
$700?! Wtf... Where did you find that info? $400-$500 is what I'm expecting to pay.

butchered by autocorrecr

$700 is what the only BW distributor who had it in stock was asking. All the other places that I contacted said they either didn't have it, couldn't get it, or that I would take months to arrive.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just got off the phone with Scott at Superior Turbo in Detroit. $563.~ for the CHRA balanced. He said there would be a ~$50 charge to freight it to me, but that seems to be a bit much. Either way, not too bad for a first quote. Going to hold off on buying the cartridge for now - I have a downpipe to install, flash to stage 2 and APR mobile dongle to beta.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
XGC75, if you need turbo rebuild parts/service, give these guys a call. My cousin has dealt with them before and I personally have been to their shop (including the work area and supply house). Really good guys to work with.

Turbo Exchange Inc.
501-A Pitts School Road NW
Concord, NC 28027

Phone: 704-721-6661
Toll Free: 1-800-377-6605
Email: turboexchange@aol.com

www.tepturbos.com

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
XGC75, if you need turbo rebuild parts/service, give these guys a call. My cousin has dealt with them before and I personally have been to their shop (including the work area and supply house). Really good guys to work with.

Turbo Exchange Inc.
501-A Pitts School Road NW
Concord, NC 28027

Phone: 704-721-6661
Toll Free: 1-800-377-6605
Email: turboexchange@aol.com

www.teturbos.com
Thanks! Reached out for a quote.

PS, their site is tepturbos.com

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I've only gotten a reply from one shop. I've contacted 5 so far. These guys aren't about the small business I guess. Still, not looking to put my money on one for a few months now anyways.

I'm probably going to wait to install this all after a dyno day in May, as long as nothing major comes up between now and then. That way I'll see the stage 1, stage 2 and k04 curve progression.

papadubsack

Ready to race!
I am in the same boat for the most part, trying to source out a replacement CHRA for the K04 or getting the one that I have rebuilt. I have also reached out to a few companies and only one has responded and they won't even touch a quote... We shall see what happens I suppose.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I am in the same boat for the most part, trying to source out a replacement CHRA for the K04 or getting the one that I have rebuilt. I have also reached out to a few companies and only one has responded and they won't even touch a quote... We shall see what happens I suppose.
Sweet man glad to see someone else taking this on! Let us know what you find.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Nope. The part you want is (if you're going Chinese-made) 5304-710-0518

But those compressor wheels tend to be cast aluminum instead of billet like the Borg Werner OEM cartridges.

What you really want is BW part# 5304-9880-064

Shops tend to know what you're talking about when you say k04-64.

The bw part # looks like it's for the whole turbo not just the chra. Do you know the bw chra part #?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The bw part # looks like it's for the whole turbo not just the chra. Do you know the bw chra part #?
To my knowledge it is just the chra. It says as much on their website, right?

Edit: nope, it doesn't say exactly what it is. I guess I assumed it was the chra and that vwag assembled the rest of the manifold and compressor housings.

Last edited: