GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: South Bend Stage 2 Daily Driver (newest revision)

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Wow OP, you're a pretty tolerant guy. Seems like South Bend did you dirty with the kit - I'd personally avoid these guys like the plague.

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
I have SB stage 2 daily 4 spring and mine is loud too. Im wondering if i go back to stock flywheel if it will stop the noise. Any ideas?

1flymk6gti

Go Kart Champion
I just got the Spec racing stage 3...I have the same problem with shudder and chatter. I read on many forums that there is a break in of 500 miles. Check out my review thread and video. Would like some input on the shudder when taking off.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I have SB stage 2 daily 4 spring and mine is loud too. Im wondering if i go back to stock flywheel if it will stop the noise. Any ideas?

You can't w/ your current setup. They aren't backwards compatible to that. If you wanted to run just a clutch w/ stock flywheel, you would need a different disc (see my clutch thread in sig).

At this point, the most important question is, why is OP getting excess noise at idle with their latest "silent" kit?

Then I would let them know your displeasure regarding the lack of resurfacing and fw bolts... maybe try to get some of that cost back.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Jon said he will send me flywheel bolts. A bit late.

He retains the statement that the flywheel and pressure plate have 95% life left, he says "the hot spots are normal" - I don't think that's true, nor my installer.

I haven't spoken about the idle chatter, but it is extremely noticeable and annoying with the windows up and no music. It's just constant loud ticking. The gear lash is also much louder than expected. The shutter is still there. I have about 200 miles on the clutch. Edit: it's more of a rattle. Very odd and annoying.

So yeah, $230 and Jon stands behind his statements. What do you guys think? Isn't that excessive and abnormal wear, especially from straight from a South Bend "rebuild"?

I may seem tolerant, but I am a college kid who is ripped off and with no options. I am stuck with a possibly defective kit, because of this stupid misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
I will be avoiding South Bend like the plague. Looks like clutchmasters will be getting my business, as I am in the market for a clutch due to Stage 2 slippage.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I didn't think the noise was abnormal until you guys pointed it out. I contacted Andy today about it, he just asked if it makes the noise with the clutch in, which it doesn't. So I'll see what comes about the next few days...

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

Check out this video on the idle rattle -

It's pretty bad. Abnormal no?

I notice there is a lot of gear whine, particularly in 6th gear from 40-60mph... Which is what 6th gear is good for.

Edit: I contacted Andy and seems that the noise is unusual. He says that the idle chatter and noise could be because of either bent pressure plate fingers or bent clutch disk, and that I should inspect it.

:iono:

My installer has been dealing with cars his whole life, has owned a VW tuning shop for over a decade, has owned several VWs he has done extensive modifications to (including one which has an SB Stage 4 clutch kit), and I watched him do the install from beginning to end.

I do think it could be the worn pressure plate or flywheel.

Howevee, Andy has extended my warranty and will be sending flywheel bolts. He says he is confident in the clutch kit. I feel better with the extended warranty (I think it's 2 years, however I don't think it includes wear and tear which is my main concern). I do feel that South Bend backed themselves up with this. I do wish I would get a new or used and resurfaced pressure plate and flywheel, because what I received was still crap.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I listened to the first set of videos you posted again, and the noise doesn't seem to be bad IMO. This past video seems a bit louder than I expected, but that could be due to your car setup (mounts, exhaust, camera, etc.).

Gear noise is interesting... not sure how you can get that on video at speed. I'd like to hear it though.

BTW - added a link to this review on my clutch thread.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I have minimal mods - no mounts, unitronic 3" DP, APR Carbonio stage 1 CAI.

That last video was better because there was no wind, it was very calm so you could really hear it.

In real life the gear noise is louder, the microphone picks up too much wind noise. But in 6th gear cruise it whines a bit, but I think it sounds a bit like a supercharger so I don't mind. The gear lash sounds like a brand new, wet tire swishing around. That is annoying. Especially windows down. If there is a wall for the sound to reflect off, it can be really loud.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
You have a torque insert--adds nvh. Not that I think it should be a huge difference here... anyways, see if you can get that on video inside the cabin?

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I actually took that out when I installed the clutch. Just haven't updated the sig.

Do you want me to take a vid of 6th gear whine?