GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock to APR k04

coolstorm92

Ready to race!
I'll give you the price that I was quoted here at a local shop.

Parts-
APR k04 kit - $2649
APR Intercooler - $1049
Southbend Stage 2 Daily - $950 with flywheel $550 without
APR Carbino Stage 1 - $299
Stage 2 - $175 (if you shop around)
Turboback exhaust - very subjective mine is around $1400

Labor -
Clutch - 5 hours
k04/intercooler/carbino/turboback - 3 hours
8 hours total x $79/hr = $632

Total cost out the door $7154

Those labor quotes are very fair so that is good. Also you are doing it right by not wasting the $600 on stage 1 or 2 flash right away like me and pretty much everyone else that gets k04.

And yes. Get the Apr intercooler over s3. Its the last piece left for me. Heatsoak was noticeable last summer so this summer in goes the Apr intercooler
-
The one thing I will recommend is to save your $800 or so on the catback and stage 2 intake pipe as they do next to nothing for performance. I am actually selling both now since I took them off recently.

DarkCloak

Banned
Those labor quotes are very fair so that is good. Also you are doing it right by not wasting the $600 on stage 1 or 2 flash right away like me and pretty much everyone else that gets k04.And yes. Get the Apr intercooler over s3. Its the last piece left for me. Heatsoak was noticeable last summer so this summer in goes the Apr intercooler
-
The one thing I will recommend is to save your $800 or so on the catback and stage 2 intake pipe as they do next to nothing for performance. I am actually selling both now since I took them off recently.

That is not true about the Stg1. GIAC, APR and others offer the K04 software for very reduced prices for existing customers. Mine was free to switch from Stg1 to K04. It will really not matter much price wise. If you do not plan to go K04 for a long time there is no need to deprive yourself of Stg1.

2011gti

Ready to race!
cant believe people are payin over 7 grand just to go ko4, ko4 is nice but if your payin 7 grand for it deff not worth it

poprocks01

Ready to race!
cant believe people are payin over 7 grand just to go ko4, ko4 is nice but if your payin 7 grand for it deff not worth it

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I agree with this guy. At some point don't you just buy the golf R? This much power on fwd becomes pointless.

Instead of spending nearly $10k to approximate another car, why not just go buy THAT car?

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Sorry to be a wet blanket but I agree with this guy. At some point don't you just buy the golf R? This much power on fwd becomes pointless.

Instead of spending nearly $10k to approximate another car, why not just go buy THAT car?

Personally I haven't even flashed stage 1, just got my car, but I would have purchased a golf R if it was available in DSG in the states. So K04 gti would be the closest I can get.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Save a bunch of change by doing the work yourself.

It's NOT that hard.

This is implying that people have the time or desire to do so. I could also clean my house and save money each month, but I have no desire to, I would rather spend my time doing other things. Just playing devils advocate, I see this a lot in car forums.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
This is implying that people have the time or desire to do so. I could also clean my house and save money each month, but I have no desire to, I would rather spend my time doing other things. Just playing devils advocate, I see this a lot in car forums.

True.....

But that is what separates the true enthusiasts from the people that simply have money to spend.

Sort of like the punk in high school that had the new mustang daddy bought him.

And gets spanked by the guy with the 67 stang that took 2 years to build after school.

Just playing the enthusiast advocate.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I get it. I had a GTI VR6 when I was a late teen/early twenties. Spent a lot of blood, sweat, and cursing on that car. I definitely didn't have a whole lot of cash to throw around, so made every dollar on my mods count. Now I am in my 30's, and have the desire for mods, but a family, a job, other hobbies, etc, and simply don't have the time to do the work. Therefore, I will still do the mods, but will pay someone else to do them, and also fix anything that breaks. I don't see how this makes me any less of an "enthusiast". I will certainly be less knowledgable than someone who has done the mods themselves however. I think what you find is the older "enthusiasts" tend to have more money than time, but the younger ones have more time than money. But yes, I was just as annoyed by the 18 year old kid with the BMW M3 and crazy mods when I was young...well I am still annoyed by them actually :)

D25mn

Passed Driver's Ed
GTIX could not have put it better myself, back in college i bought a rental neon, pulled the engine built it myself, put a home-brewed standalone into the thing, no a/c, turbo'd it myself on weekends and such. Now I don't have much time for anything, I work one job and run another business, I have family that I bare see (so whenever I do get a chance to see them I take it).

I paid someone else to do my APR K04 kit from Stock, and I enjoy every minute of my hard earned cash when I drive my GTI.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I get it. I had a GTI VR6 when I was a late teen/early twenties. Spent a lot of blood, sweat, and cursing on that car. I definitely didn't have a whole lot of cash to throw around, so made every dollar on my mods count. Now I am in my 30's, and have the desire for mods, but a family, a job, other hobbies, etc, and simply don't have the time to do the work. Therefore, I will still do the mods, but will pay someone else to do them, and also fix anything that breaks. I don't see how this makes me any less of an "enthusiast". I will certainly be less knowledgable than someone who has done the mods themselves however. I think what you find is the older "enthusiasts" tend to have more money than time, but the younger ones have more time than money. But yes, I was just as annoyed by the 18 year old kid with the BMW M3 and crazy mods when I was young...well I am still annoyed by them actually :)

:thumbsup:

While I like doing stuff to my car when I have time, and do most everything myself, I agree with this 100%. Saying you are not an enthusiast because you'd rather spend time with your family than wrenching on a car is just bullshit. You can't make blanket statements like that — it's completely ignorant.

kendrickhphoto

Ready to race!

Well it's $7500 not $10k for me and $2500 is a lot of money. Another reason is because I found my GTI for $15k it's a 2010 with 19k miles. So that puts it up at $22500 and you couldn't buy a new GTI for that price. An R with what I have in mine would be $15k more than that and it would be $22k more than what I paid for mine so it wasn't feasible for me. I would love to have an R and I would be more than willing if you would like to give me the extra $15k.

kendrickhphoto

Ready to race!
True.....

But that is what separates the true enthusiasts from the people that simply have money to spend.

Sort of like the punk in high school that had the new mustang daddy bought him.

And gets spanked by the guy with the 67 stang that took 2 years to build after school.

Just playing the enthusiast advocate.

Like I said in my original post is I don't really have the time (50 hours/week job and 14 hours worth of school this semester) and I've done all the work on my previous cars. The thing is for me things start to break when I start messing with stuff and I want to have someone that will fix it if it starts to break.

DarkCloak

Banned

Actually the FWD system especially with the 2way LSD Wavetrac combined with the XDS handles the power very well. And yes my car smokes an R without even sweating. The R also comes with the old FSI motor as opposed to the newer TSI which is vastly superior. The four wheel drive adds about 400lbs. and I do not go to the drag strip weekly and therefore do not launch all the time. The TSI in the FWD GTI is also much more fuel efficient.

I drove the R. I was not very impressed for the price. It is up in BMW 135i, STI, and EVO range which it can not even approximate.