GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock to APR k04

kendrickhphoto

Ready to race!
That is not true about the Stg1. GIAC, APR and others offer the K04 software for very reduced prices for existing customers. Mine was free to switch from Stg1 to K04. It will really not matter much price wise. If you do not plan to go K04 for a long time there is no need to deprive yourself of Stg1.

Well I have no idea about any of the others out there but APR builds the full 4 program software into their k04 kit. Normally that is $1200 but when they have a sale it's $600 so I would technically be purchasing the same software again. APR does free upgrades after stage 1 but the kit comes with it.

coolstorm92

Ready to race!
That is not true about the Stg1. GIAC, APR and others offer the K04 software for very reduced prices for existing customers. Mine was free to switch from Stg1 to K04. It will really not matter much price wise. If you do not plan to go K04 for a long time there is no need to deprive yourself of Stg1.

I guess that is one way of looking at it but still doesnt equate to a free upgrade. If you pay $600 for the stage 1 or 2 tune, then buy the k04 for $2450 your total spent is $3050 instead of just $2450 if you went right to k04 in the first place.

Its not like you can buy the k04 for $600 less than the $2450 price just because you already paid $600 for the stage 1/2 tune.

ff54976

Ready to race!
gtitx

i am picking up my gti tomorrow!!!!! and my friend has a mk6 also and said that the guys at dub squared were super cool. thats where im going when i get the car

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
cant believe people are payin over 7 grand just to go ko4, ko4 is nice but if your payin 7 grand for it deff not worth it
I have a k04, and I agree to an extent. $7500 is an ton of cash in one shot. But, a patient DIY-er can do this kit for way, way cheaper and spread the costs over a year or two.

Kit and tune: $2700 (sale)
S3 IC: $300
Cheap dp or used nice one: $200-$400
Intake: $200

So, about $3500 to get it in and running strong, assuming you have the tools and ability.

Yes, you'll need a clutch if you're MT. DSG guys need not worry. I made it 10k miles and a year before the slip was annoying me on the highway... Add another $1000 - $1800 depending on if your DIY-ing or paying a shop.

Bender1

Banned
True.....

But that is what separates the true enthusiasts from the people that simply have money to spend.

I know this is a couple weeks old but I have to take issue with this. Could I do every modification that has been done to my car? Absolutely. I have been wrenching since well before I could drive.

Will I? No.

The shop rate I am charged is less what I make if you calculate it by the hour, and my time with my family is precious to me.

Does this make me any less of an enthusiast? Of course not.

Sure I have the money to spend, but I don't spend it to spend it. I spend it because I love my car and I love the modifications.

I absolutely respect those that do the work themselves, but don't think any less of us that pay to have someone else do it.

2011gti

Ready to race!
I have a k04, and I agree to an extent. $7500 is an ton of cash in one shot. But, a patient DIY-er can do this kit for way, way cheaper and spread the costs over a year or two.

Kit and tune: $2700 (sale)
S3 IC: $300
Cheap dp or used nice one: $200-$400
Intake: $200

So, about $3500 to get it in and running strong, assuming you have the tools and ability.

Yes, you'll need a clutch if you're MT. DSG guys need not worry. I made it 10k miles and a year before the slip was annoying me on the highway... Add another $1000 - $1800 depending on if your DIY-ing or paying a shop.

i have about 3500-3800 in my whole ko4 with exhaust and tune, did all work myself so no reason to be payin over 7 grand for this kit

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I agree that time is very precious and if you dont have much of it, it is justified to let a shop do the install.

When I did my DIY for K04 install I actually MADE time to do it. It was an awesome experience and definitely helped me learn a lot more about my car and made me feel a lot more confident to work on it.

......will I do it again? Possibly, but I would definitely find quotes before I resort to spending two full 14hour days working on it.......again.

DarkCloak

Banned
I guess that is one way of looking at it but still doesnt equate to a free upgrade. If you pay $600 for the stage 1 or 2 tune, then buy the k04 for $2450 your total spent is $3050 instead of just $2450 if you went right to k04 in the first place.

Its not like you can buy the k04 for $600 less than the $2450 price just because you already paid $600 for the stage 1/2 tune.

No. There are two prices. With and without software. Buying being an existing Stg1 customer. You pay the no software price/Hardeare only" price

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
No. There are two prices. With and without software. Buying being an existing Stg1 customer. You pay the no software price/Hardeare only" price

This is the first time I've ever heard this? Is this actually true? :iono:

Did you do this, or do you know somebody who actually did and what they paid? I'm not saying your wrong, I only ask because I've always read otherwise.

kendrickhphoto

Ready to race!

I would also like to know where you can purchase an apr k04 without the software. Can you post a link to it because even apr's website doesn't have it listed.

DarkCloak

Banned
This is the first time I've ever heard this? Is this actually true? :iono:

Did you do this, or do you know somebody who actually did and what they paid? I'm not saying your wrong, I only ask because I've always read otherwise.

I paid $0 for software to upgrade.I definately recommend waiting for a sale. As it saved me about $1200 total including discount on downpipe, intercooler and clutch kit.

"Existing APR TSI software customers will receive a fully loaded ECU. New customers will receive 1 program and may purchase additional programs al la cart." This in the fine print just below the price list .

Thus you will have to buy the additional programs as obviously you at want stock, security lockout and other features. When purchase a la carte. They add up to:

$289 for a total of 4 programs
$59 for Security lockout
$199 for Anti Theft
$59 for Fault Code Erase
=$606 Total to upgrade your ECU to what you would have paid $600 to do ehn getting Stg 1. So go ahead and get the Stg1 enjoy it and spend the extra $6 on a Starbucks Latte.

http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_trans_20_tsi_k04.html

Need to get intake, Only K04 guy running a stock intake.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if this clarifies....

I purchased a APR K04 kit from a forum member. The kit was NIB and the software code given to this member had not been used yet.

At first APR wanted to charge me the $300 upgrade fee. As an existing stage 1 then 2 APR customer there would be a charge to the k04 software. Basically if you have a k04 you purchased not through them or used it will cost you $300 to upgrade your current software to the k04

Luckily (and the only way I would buy the kit) since the software code given for the kit was unused everything transferred over to me without cost.

Hope this clarifies. This was just last week.

DarkCloak

Banned
Rotary Knight, I think it does calify a bit more.

I believe they do the $300 fee so they make some money. I know a few dudes on this forum are using AWE hardware as they could get it for <$2k on sale and then getting UNI, APR, etc..

Last edited:

GTITX1

Ready to race!
gtitx

i am picking up my gti tomorrow!!!!! and my friend has a mk6 also and said that the guys at dub squared were super cool. thats where im going when i get the car

so how is the car? I am definitely going to go to dub squared when I do my tune. I only hear good things about them, but basically nothing about eurosport.