GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Noise Coming From Front Right Tire/Wheel Area

Type_TDi

The passenger side bearing is original afaik. It's going in this morning and I'm taking a drive with the tech first thing

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
If its intermittent, it could very well be cupped tires. I wouldnt think failed wheel bearings would be an on/off effect. It would be a constant noise.

Check you alignment specs, too.

Type_TDi

Grambles, good points, I also no longer think it has anything to do with bearings.

I have tried several sets of tires and an alignment to no avail.

Fortunately, after the drive with a dealer tech yesterday, he did hear/feel what I was talking about. They decided to change the passenger side drive shaft under warranty. The tech thinks that since my car was trucked from il to ct, that they may have tied it down wrong, using the drive shafts as anchor points. Hard to tell, but for sure that passenger axle was miffed up.

spader13

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been noticing a noise like you decribed developing in my '12 GTI with 4k on the clock for around 600 miles. Its been getting louder. First noticed it only around 68 mph, but then it started being audible everywhere once I was driving for a while and things warmed up.
Did yours come from Danbury like mine?

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
If its intermittent, it could very well be cupped tires. I wouldnt think failed wheel bearings would be an on/off effect. It would be a constant noise.

When I put brand new wheels and tires on, the sound was still there.

Check you alignment specs, too.
I also just got a 4-wheel alignment and everything lined up perfectly -BUT- the sound is still there... :thumbdown:

Type_TDi

Spader,

I bought mine in glastonbury(langan), the dealership and people are great there. Just bad luck with this issue but tomorrow it should be fixed, I hope! They'll be replacing the passenger shaft tomorrow and I'll report back the changes.

spader13

Passed Driver's Ed
Spader,

I bought mine in glastonbury(langan), the dealership and people are great there. Just bad luck with this issue but tomorrow it should be fixed, I hope! They'll be replacing the passenger shaft tomorrow and I'll report back the changes.

Glad they're taking care of it for you. You don't happen to have any video of that the noise sounded like, do you? I've been hearing a kinda howling, but I'm not sure if I'm just tuning in to it moreand being paranoid or if it's getting louder. I'm going to check/adjust tire pressures to see if that's the cause... I just don't want to be 'that guy' who goes to the dealer complaining of noises that don't mean anyfirst on a 4000 mile old car.
This is my first brand new car, first FWD car, and first European car. Always had big, heavy, and used American cars and trucks where I knew what all the different noises meant and how to fix them, if they even needed fixing Haha.

Type_TDi

Glad they're taking care of it for you. You don't happen to have any video of that the noise sounded like, do you? I've been hearing a kinda howling, but I'm not sure if I'm just tuning in to it moreand being paranoid or if it's getting louder. I'm going to check/adjust tire pressures to see if that's the cause... I just don't want to be 'that guy' who goes to the dealer complaining of noises that don't mean anyfirst on a 4000 mile old car.
This is my first brand new car, first FWD car, and first European car. Always had big, heavy, and used American cars and trucks where I knew what all the different noises meant and how to fix them, if they even needed fixing Haha.

You can try to listen to it in this video I took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKem0xJALLs

Use headphones and listen for the warble/growl sound.

Type_TDi

Quick update, still no solution:

So far both front wheel bearings and both front drive axles have been replaced and both an alignment and re-balance have been performed. There is still a vibration at highway speeds.

The only possible things left are engine mounts and the clutch/flywheel. These are the only things left that I can think of that could cause this issue.

I know the dual mass flywheels fail at some point. No way it's failing at 23k miles though (right?). I'll remove the starter and check the flywheel but would be amazed if it's loose.

At this point I'm at a dead end.

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
My wifes MKVI Jetta SE has had this from day one. Took it to the dealer at 5k miles and they said its "normal". what the hell! My MKV (with same design front suspension) has never had this. Nothings worn (bearings, tires ect), the car is brand new!

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Quick update, still no solution:

So far both front wheel bearings and both front drive axles have been replaced and both an alignment and re-balance have been performed. There is still a vibration at highway speeds.

The only possible things left are engine mounts and the clutch/flywheel. These are the only things left that I can think of that could cause this issue.

I know the dual mass flywheels fail at some point. No way it's failing at 23k miles though (right?). I'll remove the starter and check the flywheel but would be amazed if it's loose.

At this point I'm at a dead end.

Who paid for all of those repairs? The dealership?