GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle delay fix is found.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Correct.

I too have a '12, and roughly the first 10% of pedal travel yields no engine response.

Based on what he's saying, the signal is weak due to a design flaw, i.e the signal is not strong enough. If a signal booster can amplify the weak signal, then in theory the pedal should operate perfectly within the dead zone.

When were you built? I don't have any dead pedal travel. As I said, the lightest pressure, almost immeasurable travel, will cause the engine to respond. There may be a small lag, but the ECU recognizes my intent to increase throttle.

AXO

Go Kart Champion

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Yikes, Item ships from Hong Kong:thumbdown:

I linked the first one I found, I'm sure there are distributors within the US.

When were you built? I don't have any dead pedal travel. As I said, the lightest pressure, almost immeasurable travel, will cause the engine to respond. There may be a small lag, but the ECU recognizes my intent to increase throttle.

1/12

It sounds redundant, but have you tried using your hand on the pedal to "measure" for any dead space?

Also, if you are rolling at idle in 1st gear, then depress the accelerator, does the car jump forward or does it accelerate very smoothly? If you give slightly too much input, can you replicate the jumping/bucking? For my car to not "buck", I have to press the pedal very slowly and softly until I gradually pass the dead zone and enter the signal zone. If you can casually accelerate away in any condition, this is another indicator that our equipment is indeed different.

Last edited:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

For those of you still confused (and there are tons of you on this forum), this problem doesn't appear in every GTI. It seems hit or miss, dependent on the throttle pedal assembly itself.

The first bit of travel on the pedal does not send a signal to the ECU. Then you hit a magical point where the signal actually does go to the ECU. Makes driving smoothly almost entirely impossible.

From what I can decipher from this thread so far, it would seem one of the potentiometers is incorrectly "zeroed" or the assembly has some slop before it makes contact with it. VERY interested in finding the solution to this embarrassment of German engineering.

gentz1

For what it's worth, all of our software options for the MK6 already eliminate the delay. It is not simply due to hardware, there is definitely more to it.

Austin, I see it very impossible for you to eliminate something that is coming from hardware flaw. If you do modify internally with mapping all you are doing is modifying readings and not fixing the issue. I am uploading the videos to show everyone here what the faults are and on lame terms so everyone understands. The video is taken with my digital scope and will show evidence that the failure is mainly due to bad design on pedal sensor, there is some ( very minute) fly by wire delay but should almost not be bad. I will shut my mouth and as soon as my vids are uploaded to photobucket I will add them here....

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
Austin, I see it very impossible for you to eliminate something that is coming from hardware flaw. If you do modify internally with mapping all you are doing is modifying readings and not fixing the issue. I am uploading the videos to show everyone here what the faults are and on lame terms so everyone understands. The video is taken with my digital scope and will show evidence that the failure is mainly due to bad design on pedal sensor, there is some ( very minute) fly by wire delay but should almost not be bad. I will shut my mouth and as soon as my vids are uploaded to photobucket I will add them here....

For what it's worth, software can and does control delays between the electronic throttle body and electronic pedal. The amount of research we have done on the software side of this is quite immense.

While you can trick the hardware into bypass the requests from the ECU, it is best done by rewriting what is causing it in the first place. If you don't believe me, I would urge you to drive a GIAC flashed TSI.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!

For those of you still confused (and there are tons of you on this forum), this problem doesn't appear in every GTI. It seems hit or miss, dependent on the throttle pedal assembly itself.

The first bit of travel on the pedal does not send a signal to the ECU. Then you hit a magical point where the signal actually does go to the ECU. Makes driving smoothly almost entirely impossible.

From what I can decipher from this thread so far, it would seem one of the potentiometers is incorrectly "zeroed" or the assembly has some slop before it makes contact with it. VERY interested in finding the solution to this embarrassment of German engineering.

It was in both our MK5 TSI 6MT and our MK6 DSG TSI. It was less noticable on the DSG though as the transmission engagement seems to mask some of it.

Bender1

Banned
For what it's worth, software can and does control delays between the electronic throttle body and electronic pedal. The amount of research we have done on the software side of this is quite immense.

While you can trick the hardware into bypass the requests from the ECU, it is best done by rewriting what is causing it in the first place. If you don't believe me, I would urge you to drive a GIAC flashed TSI.

Though no one drives my car but me I can confirm that I have NEVER had issues with lag since I was flashed. Not ONCE.

Ben_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed

I wish you guys had highlighted this significant added benefit in advertising your flashes. I definitely would have gone with GIAC instead. :w00t: for going the length to fix this dreaded throttle lag regardless.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
I wish you guys had highlighted this significant added benefit in advertising your flashes. I definitely would have gone with GIAC instead. :w00t: for going the length to fix this dreaded throttle lag regardless.

+1

GIAC is local to me as well.. :cry:

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Can anyone speak to the ability of other tuners fixing this or is this a GIAC exclusive feature?

Austin@giac

Ready to race!

From the info thread: "While there is more power to be had from the GIAC software when paired with an upgraded exhaust and intake, the software was designed to have exceptional drivability for enthusiasts with the OEM hardware setup as well. Drivability improvements included changing much of the boost ramp up for a smoother power band, and adjusting throttle inputs to allow for a more direct response. These changes are unique to GIAC software upgrades for this platform and really transform how the car drives. "

here