GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zoomer7's subtle (maybe for now) GTI build

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
A photographer should not be measured solely by the sum of his gear. ;)

You're absolutely right... until you get to the point of NEEDING the better gear. Sometimes you aren't even considered for a shoot unless you have a 40+megapixel camera... and no the Nokia phone doesn't count :) It's new territory for me, and very exciting.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
You're absolutely right... until you get to the point of NEEDING the better gear. Sometimes you aren't even considered for a shoot unless you have a 40+megapixel camera... and no the Nokia phone doesn't count :) It's new territory for me, and very exciting.

Agreed. You're a unique case, though. I see far too many people thinking that simply having the best gear should automatically net phenomenal images. :laugh:

You'll enjoy the Profotos. I miss having them at my disposal.

BadCompany

Ready to race!
I always feel a little awkward knowing that I want to mod my car but still want to be adult about where it goes. I'm glad to see there are other people that have the same concept. Built but practical and sophisticated.

I recently got back into photography while doing a cross country road trip and wish I felt like I could commit the time that I used to when I was younger. Especially with cars, I struggle with composing shots for vehicles. Your work is incredible, don't know that I can aim that high but it's inspiring none the less.

And obviously love the GTI! I think the look is working out well for you so far.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Let me know if I'm stepping out of the clean/mature look :p
These are just iPhone snapshots after getting the car detailed.
Once I have the VWR Big Brake Kit installed, I'll do a proper shoot!.. damn things are stuck in customs from the UK!

Added:
-OEM LED tinted rear taillights
-EURO IMAGE rear wiper delete
-GTI emblem

I will say that I ordered the ECStuning wiper delete, and didn't like it at all. It needed to be glued in. It didn't feel secure, and sure enough when I went to replace it with the Euro Image rear delete, it popped out without much effort. I feel much better with the tight & snug Euro Image rear delete. The tolerance when fully screwed in wasn't tight enough, so I reluctantly went to Lowes to find some rubber spacers to fill the gap.

lol so if anybody wants my ECStuning rear wiper delete, send me a PM.

Also, are the rear taillights lined up? I noticed a bit of a gap on the top of the inner piece? I've seen other OEM LED pics, and they all look to have the same gap. Just doesn't seem right to me?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
:laugh:

OEM LED tails not lining up? Oh the humanity!

To be serious, your outers look a little high. Inners look good. There's torx adjusters in the jamb on the outer tails. I can't remember the size, but it's a small torx bit.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
:laugh:

OEM LED tails not lining up? Oh the humanity!

To be serious, your outers look a little high. Inners look good. There's torx adjusters in the jamb on the outer tails. I can't remember the size, but it's a small torx bit.

Ah, I haven't messed with the outers since they fit so well without doing any tweaking. The gap is even all around. I've messed with the inners and got them "up" as far as I could muster. I was expecting more of a better fit, but let me know if any OEM people out there had the same issues?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. Your left outer sits high. Right side looks proper.

The gap should be bigger above the outer light housings so not to allow the sheetmetal to contact the lens plastic when slamming the hatch shut.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Yeah. Your left outer sits high. Right side looks proper.

The gap should be bigger above the outer light housings so not to allow the sheetmetal to contact the lens plastic when slamming the hatch shut.

I see! Thanks for the tip, I'll tweak the outer tonight :D

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
VWR Big Brake kit installed... LOVE them.. but the BBS CH-R wheels have got to go now since a 5mm spacer was needed in order to fit. Now the wheels are are out too far and rub too much under hard cornering and any decent bump. sigh.

The UB and RB were installed as well (not the XB yet), and OMG I can instantly feel the car being more balanced. I feel much more in control of where I want to point the car. I'm no longer fighting the "slushy" feel of the car. Feels much more direct. Can't wait to have the XB bolted in.

markus19

Passed Driver's Ed
Basically love everything about this car

Really tempted to trade my tdi for a gti of this colour

Looks soo good just not sure if I could handle the mpg

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Basically love everything about this car

Really tempted to trade my tdi for a gti of this colour

Looks soo good just not sure if I could handle the mpg

Thanks!
Saying a GTI has worse gas mileage is like comparing Scarlet Johansson to Mila Kunis. Relatively the GTI is great with mpg compared to other sporty cars. I mean YEA it has worse gas mileage than a TDI, but I get around 35mpg with all the fun mods :)

The savings of 35mpg vs 45mpg over a year is only $333 at 15,000miles/year.
http://www.wilmapco.org/ecodriving/

Now dipping into a V8 Pontiac G8 is a completely different story!

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Did you end up doing a custom powdercoat on the VWR brakes? They look great in red on the CSG and with the wheels. Such a shame the BBS' have gotta go now. :(

Also, good to hear your thoughts on the UB. I'm planning on doing at least the UB soon, if not the XB as well. I can't stand the sloppy disconnected feeling that's been engineered into the chassis. While much of my suspension work has helped a lot, I'm looking forward to eliminating it with a couple Unibrace bits.