GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zoomer7's subtle (maybe for now) GTI build

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Did you end up doing a custom powdercoat on the VWR brakes? They look great in red on the CSG and with the wheels. Such a shame the BBS' have gotta go now. :(

Also, good to hear your thoughts on the UB. I'm planning on doing at least the UB soon, if not the XB as well. I can't stand the sloppy disconnected feeling that's been engineered into the chassis. While much of my suspension work has helped a lot, I'm looking forward to eliminating it with a couple Unibrace bits.

No VWR powdercoating. They came that way with the "R" logo. I was thrown back too! I've always seen "volkswagen racing" branded on the VWR brakes. They were ordered through GMP Performance via APR... via volkswagenracing.co.uk lol. So they BETTER be legit. I'll follow up on that, but DAMN do they brake well. No arguing there.

I'm re-evaluating my BBS situation.
YES they are wider than I want, and rub slightly under hard turning (usually involving a bump at the same time). BUT they look sooo damn good. They are my dream wheels and would beat myself up if I got rid of them. I'm going to give it some time before I make up my mind. I could go with a more conservative offset with the BBS CH, or Advan RZ.. so many options flying around in my head now.

I don't want to sound elitist, but I've been doing autoX, track days, mtn driving for over 15yrs and can recognize a good/bad difference with modifications, and the UNIbrace parts (UB & RB for now) made a big positive difference. Definitely feels more reactive now. I can't wait to install the more acclaimed XB, along with front and rear sway bars :)

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
How badly do they rub?

Sways might help a bit, and depending on the severity of the rubbing, you might be able to do a simply fender screw mod/slight roll of the inner fender, and be OK.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
How badly do they rub?

Sways might help a bit, and depending on the severity of the rubbing, you might be able to do a simply fender screw mod/slight roll of the inner fender, and be OK.

Yea sways should help some, I agree. Just might do the trick actually.

It's only under very hard turning, but still I think there should be zero rub ultimately. And I've done the screw mod. Looking from the front, the tires stick out from the fenders ~1cm.

Options:
1. See if Alcon BBK will fit BBS wheels without spacers

2. Raise coilovers... but I really don't want to do that, looks perfect now.

3. Different wheels :(

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
OK narrowed down my options to these 2:

1. Sell VWR BBK and get SPM Alcon 355x28 kit so BBS CH-R wheels will fit without spacers
... Waiting on a template of the Alcon kit before moving forward.

2. Sell BBS CH-R wheels and rock the VWR wheels that fit perfectly over the VWR BBK. It'd suck to sell such beautiful wheels, but it'd be nice to have the best fitting performance wheels available for my setup.

Overall I want a good looking GTI that I can beat up on in the mountains and the track.

Current:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
^ you got yourself buyer thats considering these (if money permits as well), the tires are the ones i want as well, and 7 hours away from NoVa (at least thats how long away myrtle is)

sub'd for le decision

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Nice pics. I am a car guy + photographer myself too. but I will need to find sometime to take some pic since the weather in SF is crazy.
That said, what lightning gear do u recommend for starter for the outdoor lighting shoots? 2-3 Wireless Flash + Diffuser ?
I am trying to do sth like those OEM pictures that u did with those Mercs. Use HDR + PS to bring up the sharpness?

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
^ you got yourself buyer thats considering these (if money permits as well), the tires are the ones i want as well, and 7 hours away from NoVa (at least thats how long away myrtle is)

sub'd for le decision

I'll keep you in touch. Hopefully finding out sooner rather than later about the Alcon brakes!... I will say I hope I can hang on to the BBS wheels ;)

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
The VWR wheels are just unbranded Team Dynamics Racing Pro Race 1.2 wheels, which I've always liked on the MkV and MkVI.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I'll keep you in touch. Hopefully finding out sooner rather than later about the Alcon brakes!... I will say I hope I can hang on to the BBS wheels ;)

if only they weren't too expensive, I'm not in a rush anyways and still can't debate which color i get and since I'm candy white the silver seems more suitable but i have a feeling that these work out as well. by any chance, where did you get the red center caps?

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
The VWR wheels are just unbranded Team Dynamics Racing Pro Race 1.2 wheels, which I've always liked on the MkV and MkVI.
Yea I saw. That's a cool point in my book.
The simple fact that they're used in a racing series puts my mind at ease.

if only they weren't too expensive, I'm not in a rush anyways and still can't debate which color i get and since I'm candy white the silver seems more suitable but i have a feeling that these work out as well. by any chance, where did you get the red center caps?
I got them through GMP Performance. Not sure how they scored the red centercaps, but they truly pull the whole wheel and red trim of the car together.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Yea I saw. That's a cool point in my book.
The simple fact that they're used in a racing series puts my mind at ease.

Well, FWIW, you can pick up the TD wheels cheaper than the VWR wheels, for what is essentially the same wheel.

Unless you really despise the 'Team Dynamics Motorsport' engraved into the rim, like I do. ;)

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Updated shot:

Engine (install courtesy of GMP Performance):
APR ECU flash stage 1
APR Carbonio intake
APR cat-back exhaust

Suspension:
D2 Racing street coilovers
UNIbrace UB, RB
BBS CH-R 18x8.5 et47 Titanium wheels w/ red centercaps
Michelin 225/40/18 Pilot Super Sport tires
VWR big brake kit LOVE!

Interior/Exterior:
OEM black front lip
S2T black paddle shifters (LOVE!)
Yakima/Whispbar roofrack
Parts4Euro.com smoked side markers
OEM LED tail lights (tinted)
Euro Image wiper delete

Sitting on floor but not on car yet
UNIbrace XB

Future:
Hell if I know now... lots and lots of miles!

Here's the last "tuned" car I had:
1999 Subaru 2.5 RS with more suspension mods than I can count.. I'm more about handling than power.

Stock:

The Process:

OEM LED tinted rear lights, Euro Image wiper delete, GTI badge

More to come soon! I have the BIG initial upgrades out of the way though... I think ;)[/QUOTE]

car looks absolutely beautiful! I wish my ch looked more like your ch-R's...i agree that you can't go wrong with bbs! Very dependable, much German.