GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Just now came back inside from track testing the new A/S 3. I'm not really sure how Michelin did it, I'm guessing some sort of voodoo magic. It is amazing that they can make an all season handle that well! I will have my own set very soon doing a long term test so I'll be back with further thoughts.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
What I'm really keen to know about is their performance in some snow and on ice. I find the Conti DWS to be quite decent in those conditions.

But if the Michelin are as good as the Contis in the winter but a lot better for the summer then I would be very interested in them.

Obviously you cannot do any winter testing at this point but are you aware of any testing that's been done elsewhere (except for in-house at Michelin)?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
What I'm really keen to know about is their performance in some snow and on ice. I find the Conti DWS to be quite decent in those conditions.

But if the Michelin are as good as the Contis in the winter but a lot better for the summer then I would be very interested in them.

Obviously you cannot do any winter testing at this point but are you aware of any testing that's been done elsewhere (except for in-house at Michelin)?

I am not aware of any at this point, but it will be a part of my long term test as I am going to delay putting on my Blizzaks to get a feel for snow and ice performance. The Contis are very good for an all season in the winter. If the Michelins are even 90% as good as the Contis in the winter, Michelin will be selling lots and lots of the A/S 3.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I hear that these are even better than Conti DW summers in the dry... any truth to that?

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Saw these on the TireRack website. In for more testing results. They seem like great tires!

Sent from the porcelain throne

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I hear that these are even better than Conti DW summers in the dry... any truth to that?

If you believe the reviews from, I think February, they are as good or better than most high performance summer ties...and definitely better than the Conti.

I'm a bit skeptical of the February meet sponsored by Michelin at a Louisiana race track. Most journalists (particularly auto journalists) have little integrity because of their dependence on freebies from companies and they tend to group-think.

But those reviews were very complementary to the Michelins dry and wet summer performance.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com

I have not seen the times for the track drives yet, but it is certainly the most impressive All Season I have encountered in the dry. Its overall dry grip seems to be a bit shy of the DW, but I would be curious to test it against some max performance. Their internal tests showed better dry grip than the DW and the Pirelli P-Zero. They are also claiming better wet braking than the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy AS, Bridgestone RE970AS Pirelli P-Zero Nero AS and the Conti DWS. We are currently conducting wet testing, so we will be able to test those claims.

Last edited:

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
I've been waiting for a review for this. Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the replacement for Pilot Sport 3, right?

KaJ

Ready to race!
I just got these.. best tire I've owned on the GTI so far.

Tires I've had after one of my Continental's got a bulge in the sidewall:
Bridgestone 760's
Bridgestone 970's

I've also had Bridgestone RE050 and General Exlaim UHP tires on my old GTI.

Out of all the tires I've had on this car, this one blows those out of the water so far. Plus I am definitely going to get longer tread life.

bigpun

Ready to race!
are these tires available to buy now because i see the availability date Oct 1, 2013 on tire rack website?

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
I am glad I stumbled across these tires but I have a question. How do they grip compared to the stock pirellis on dry pavement. How long are these expected to last, I know that question varies to driver. But would i expect to seeing 40k miles with these on average driving? Thanks

b_waggs83

Ready to race!
I'm going K04 and I will need new/better tires for traction. I was debating on getting the michelin Super sports. How do the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 compare? Tread life comparison/traction/road noise. This will be a daily driver. You can even suggest other tires. I will be in Sacramento area and don't need an all weather tire. Thanks for the help.