GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST/KW V1 Recommended ride height

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
My goal is to be at 24.5" FTG all around, a finger gap, nothing too crazy.

I know these coils can go that low, but isn't 24.5" outside of the recommended ride height by KW?

I don't want to run the coilovers near all the way down and ruin their handling, just to get an average drop like that..so please enlighten me if i am mess understanding.

PS i am still coilovers shopping, i like these, but the ride height came to mind and Google didn't help much at all.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree

turbotrucka

Rig Stig
If you want to be 24.5 you've already committed to ruining the cars "handling". If you still want to be that low, you need to get a setup that allows preload in the front with separate ride height adjustment, as well as rear shocks that thread into themselves in the same manner the fronts do.

Emillionaire90

Ready to race!
Check your PM

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI

I really am just a confused newbie when it comes to this!

I know you recommended FK Konigsports...they do look AMAZING on paper...but whenever i do a search..i see people complaining about FK's customer service and them seizing up easy...which really does worry me...not many people run them either :iono:

If i am understanding anything wrong, please elighten me, i am in no way a KW fan boy....i get them at the price of STs in the US, so i am not paying too much...BUT the konigsports provide koni dampers and damping adjustment...both are great, i am just not convinced with FK as a company more than anything!

If you want to be 24.5 you've already committed to ruining the cars "handling". If you still want to be that low, you need to get a setup that allows preload in the front with separate ride height adjustment, as well as rear shocks that thread into themselves in the same manner the fronts do.

I though 24.5 wasn't much, from what people are settings their coils at on here...any recommendations?

Check your PM

:thumbsup:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
FK Silverline X are the price of KW V1, SS too, but they have an advantage of being damping adjustable...so if they are too stiff, i can make them smoother..

My previous car was stiff and i felt comfortable again when i got in the GTI...

BAgti

Ready to race!
St Coils here, perches in all the way down, 24.5" all the way around. Handling is good, all my friends that have sat in my car said the car feels and handles just fine. Get them, 24.5 is a nice stance imo.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Minimum height recommended by KW (wheel center to wheel arch):

front: 320 mm
rear: 325 mm

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/eah68610039.pdf

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/gaKWGFW10039-40-50-69-70-80_1336-11.pdf

;)

Great findings!

I measured that and got the following data:

Stock FTC (Fender to wheel center): 345mm FR - 345mm RR

Recommended FTC: 320mm FR - 325mm RR

Recommended FTG (Fender to Ground): 24.55" FR - 24.75" RR

And since i want a balanced drop all around...i will be doing 24.5" which isn't much far from their recommended height and will look perfect...about 1 finger gap :thumbsup:

Do you have any idea if KW V2 have the same recommended height?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Since KW V2 is just $350 more expensive, i though it would be a better idea to go with those, in order to have full damping adjustabillity, for DD and track day AND koni shocks, which are awesome.

Now if anyone has recommended DD settings for the V2s damping, let me know :)

StayStetti

Banned
Dude, the only reason KW recommends those heights is because they have to comply with TUV standards. Forget about their recommended height. Go to 24.5, you wont have any problems, that's relatively high.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
That's the plan!

Right now researching damping...

I am thinking full stiff on the back (and leave it there)...then start with medium on the front and adjust from there to my liking.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Dude, the only reason KW recommends those heights is because they have to comply with TUV standards. Forget about their recommended height. Go to 24.5, you wont have any problems, that's relatively high.

LOL WUT?!

SFvalleyGTi said he had his car at 24.5" when he got them installed...and that's how they are after some time..

More pics: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=493701&postcount=25

NO finger gap! too low for the streets here...i am thinking 24.75" is a better idea and when they settle they are at around 24.5"?

StayStetti

Banned
There's definitely some gap there man. You just can't see it because of the tire. Seriously you can get to 24.5 on DG springs, it's not that low.