GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alcantara Door Panels!

JasonH

Ready to race!
So I finally got around to pulling the door panels off and then pulling the door panel apart and wrapping the inserts in (real) Alcantara. It's definitely a full day (or two) project. The most annoying thing is the ~30 plastic welds you have to remove.

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 2,724
Last edited:

Mille170

Ready to race!
Would love to do this, I hate the fabric on the arm rests. How did you remove the plastic welds, and how are you planning on reattaching them to the door panel.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Nice

JasonH

Ready to race!
How did you remove the plastic welds, and how are you planning on reattaching them to the door panel.

Well, VW uses two different types of plastic welds for some reason, rectangular blob things along the top, and round plastic rivets everywhere else.

I was actually able to save almost all of the rectangular ones by squeezing them together with a flathead screwdriver and then lifting up the material, basically acting like a clip.

The round plastic rivets I had to dremel off. I think I'm going to use some epoxy or high temp hot glue in place of them.

Attached pic of round plastic welds:

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 661

ImmI

Ready to race!
That's fantastic :clap:

Adds just a bit more luxury to the car

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
That looks sick. Wish it didn't take so long or I'd drive up there and pay you to do it for me!

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
so freaking good ! now do the dash and roof !! winning !!!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
very nice! I know a guy who did the remaining parts of his STI's interior from JPM coachworks, it can get expensive, but it helps if you do the labor yourself.