GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Depo LED Tails

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
There's been some discussion recently about the OEM/Rep tails and what you're really getting (or not getting) for the $400 entry price. There hasn't been a comprehensive review of these as far as I know, so I'm looking to inform those on the market who aren't already swayed one way or another. just so you all know my own leanings prior to this review, when these were out for delivery I said that the $300 extra you pay for a cosmetic mod wouldn't outweigh its worth in performance - after all, that's 1/2 a stage 1 tune or 1/2 the cost of a catted and resonated downpipe.

Tonight's review will focus on the aesthetic details while they're off the car, tomorrow morning I'm installing.

I was intrigued first by the price of One Perfect Dose's group buy, but when I saw the black smoke option I decided to put some cash on the line to give it a shot. As for my reasoning going black smoke, I like the idea of getting rid of unnecessary color from the car for the same reason one would get color matched side markers. When I'm done with the car aesthetically I'll have the chrome grill strips so going black just made more sense. I really don't want to give off the ricer look, so at the first impression of adolescence I'm backing out of these. Fair warning. Yet ricer's tend to "black out" their tails and these are relatively clear lenses (I'd put 'em around 35%). I made sure to give myself enough time before the end of the group buy to buy a pair of cherry red if I don't like the look but do like the quality.

So do I like the quality? In a word, nope. There are details all over these that have me questioning nascent quality control measures. Flash around the top and sides of the edges is prevalent but not much of a turn off to me since that's likely the more expensive part of the build proccess and I don't mind if sparing it saves me money. I do mind, however, that there's a minor scratchy surface by some of the bad flash on one lens. As if someone were clumsily trying to remove it. I also mind that there's flash on the inner details of the lights. Those should be perfect, because I can't do much about it. There are also injection divots on the lenses, an indicator that the tooling used for the mold isn't state of the art. Finally, there's a tiny divot on the face of the lens on one of the outers. Pics below.

Oh and I wanted to point out that the harnesses are sealed using hot glue. It's not a terrible way to keep moisture at bay (I would use it if I had to), but traditionally there's a specific rubber compound that appliance manufacturers, for instance, use that does a much better job in harsh conditions.

PS - Shoutout to Dose for organizing the group buy. He's been very attentive throughout this whole thing and the GB price is pretty great :thumbsup:

Drew113

Ready to race!
Haha basically bash the quality of the lights but then you thank OnePerfectDose for setting up the group buy

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yep. He didn't make the lights, Depo did. And fwiw, I'm coming in with a real critical lens here. No holds barred. I don't buy something and praise it because I have an investment in it, I'll scrutinize it, see it's flaws and weigh them the positives. I don't like to be surprised to find flaws later on down the road. Can't wait to see what they look like on the car though. Feels like the night before Christmas :p

butchered by autocorrect

Yep. He didn't make the lights, Depo did. And fwiw, I'm coming in with a real critical lens here. No holds barred. I don't buy something and praise it because I have an investment in it, I'll scrutinize it, see it's flaws and weigh them the positives. I don't like to be surprised to find flaws later on down the road. Can't wait to see what they look like on the car though. Feels like the night before Christmas :p

butchered by autocorrect

exactly. He just distributes. Just because he sells and service is great doesn't make a product better than what it is.

word.

Drew113

Ready to race!
Yeah I do see your point...I guess it truly is hit or miss with the lights as far as little flaws go since I didn't really have any with mine

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
I understand your concerns about not wanting to look like a ricer but I dont think these fit the ricer ticket. More and more OEM tails have the cleared /smoked look which can be classy.

I spent about 10 mins per lens to carefully scrape the flashing to a point that it is no longer noticeable. Long term durability of these are still TBD, but my first impression leads me to believe there's not much too worry about.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Good write up. I've been looking at these and Ed's for a while now. It's one of those things that none of us need, but they sure do look good. Awesome, in fact. However good the price of the reps though, I have decided that if I ever get a pair I would certainly go OEM. And I know you can almost have two pair of reps for the price of the OEM ones, but the OEM's are made right. In a few years the price difference will not bother me anymore and I will most likely have lights that still function and look right. With that, I'm still very interested to see the dark smoke once you have them installed.

Drew113

Ready to race!
nobody knows the longevity of these lights so you can't really say that OEM lights will last longer than these, end of story!

Drew113

Ready to race!
post up pics after!!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Eh. I was waiting for my camera battery to charge to take some good comparison led/non- led shots but I have lunch plans so I'll post good images later this evening. In the meantime...

uploadfromtaptalk1362239204716.jpg

butchered by autocorrect

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
WOW. Ok, the smoked lights look 1,000,000 times better on a gray GTI. You should definitely keep them. It makes the OEM light look like it's from 1987 while the smoked looks top notch classy. From an aesthetics position.

You'll need to do something about that hatch/third brake light too though. Slap some tint over it or something.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Okey they're in. here's some phone pics to hold you over...

uploadfromtaptalk1362243163443.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1362243025802.jpg

butchered by autocorrect

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Wow.

I am typically OEM-or-bust when it comes to LED's, but from what I see here (and a lack of OEM black tint option), these look damn fine and add a nice variety to the offering for our cars..

Roll with them for a while - looks great!!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm completely in love with the black on black. Smitten :wub: :wub:

And on the quality notes, a lot of the concerns are mitigated when they're in. Some not so much, but I'll talk on those points when I have a moment this evening.

butchered by autocorrect