GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
You sure?

Thats ugly but doesnt mean aggressive cannot be attractive. Subjective it is always. Drive what you like - life is too short not to.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Dear lord, did you really just imply that the WRX looks better than a GTI...

:word:

:clap:

Yes I find it attractive and more so than the Golf or GTi. I wrote in english. Im amazed how many folks just follow each other around. I could care less what anyone thinks of my ride. I dont agree with you. Sorry you are shocked someone has a mind of their own :)

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Yes I find it attractive and more so than the Golf or GTi. I wrote in english. Im amazed how many folks just follow each other around. I could care less what anyone thinks of my ride. I dont agree with you. Sorry you are shocked someone has a mind of their own :)

I mean, the WRX is better than the GTI in many ways, and is a hell of a car for the price... but that things looks like a Corolla. To each their own though. Enjoy your new car man!

zrickety

The Fixer
Apples and oranges. Get ready to double your gas bill and probably the insurance too.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
My insurance inched up a bit going from my Rex to muh coalburner.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
My insurance inched up a bit going from my Rex to muh coalburner.

Really? Surprising... It just really depends on who is driving whatever car you have in your area and how often they wreck and get tickets though.

C5 insurance is laughably cheap.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
I, not having any real knowledge of car insurance underwriting, attributed it to higher estimated repair/parts costs.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I feel that the New WRX like past WRX's have been such a performance bargain. I read an article in Automobile that they got a bone stock 2015 WRX to beat a new STi to 60mph, then the STi barely beat it by like .10 a second in a 1/4. They pulled 0-60 in 4.9 sec in a bone stock WRX by revving to 6k rpm dump the clutch and shift to second at 5200rpm. That netted consistent 0-60 times under 5 seconds. When the tester asked the Subaru Tech there with them, "isn't this going to fry the clutch and wear out the drive train by doing this" Subaru Tech Simply replied, "Nope".

This makes you feel then, why bother with an STi? Sure you get gadgets that you may never use, or never really know how to use, like the Selectable AWD system and such, sure the Brembos are nice, but for $10k more than a WRX?

I also have read that the power band on the WRX is much more useable vs the STi. The STi like the Evo X you have to really get on it for it to be "fast" where as the WRX has a more "usable" power band providing torque lower than the STi and HP peaking lower in the revs. Heck in town I beat Evo's and STis off the line in my GTI, then around 50-60 mph they fly right past me. I just kinda laugh because myself coming out of owning 4 Evo's I know what the pro's and cons are the car, STi is very similar in power delivery. In the "real" world, they are not "faster" unless your really on them. I have shocked so many of these guys in my GTI. They look over and are like yeah, EVO I said, you want to run real quick to the next light? They Nod, They lose, and they roll down the window, "hey that thing isn't stock" haha, I am like, Oh yes it is. Long story.

Anyway, I look at this guys STi he just bought a few doors down. Dont get me wrong I LOVE RALLY cars and have since I was a kid. I just look at it, and look at it, and its so dang ugly. I just couldn't see spending almost $40k for this STi and have to look at it everyday, no matter how it drives. Its just not an attractive car. YET, the WRX in contrast, actually looks better to me. :iono:

So to each their own, I do think these cars are very reliable, much more so than the VW's. I am still leaning towards getting a new R because its SO GOOD and practical at the same time. It is better looking and will be available with a DSG. Also cost will be that of an STi. So to me? that is a no brainer.

WRX though? Best bang for the buck out there. Hands down. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
The WRX looks better to you than the sti? They are the same thing, plus or minus a wing.

The previous gen wrx could beat the STI in 0-60 times. With a hard launch. Which does destroy drivetrain components, no matter what some subaru tech says.

Don't get me wrong, they are great bang for the buck, but everyone is so fixated on 0-60 times that you don't want to actually replicate in real life.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The WRX looks better to you than the sti? They are the same thing, plus or minus a wing.

The previous gen wrx could beat the STI in 0-60 times. With a hard launch. Which does destroy drivetrain components, no matter what some subaru tech says.

Don't get me wrong, they are great bang for the buck, but everyone is so fixated on 0-60 times that you don't want to actually replicate in real life.

Yes I realize they are the same car, but on my street there is a brand new STi and a brand new WRX both in the same Rally Blue Color. The WRX just looks better, Maybe its the wing on the STi or the rims, I dont know, but The WRX just appeals to me more.

I agree with the 0-60 times, I just posted that for people to know what a stock WRX can do vs an STi.

In the "real" world, the WRX is the better car vs the STi just in the usable power band IMO. Add in better MPG's and lower insurance, vs an STi plus $10k liess so your monthly payment is less? Its a no brainer.

Unless you just have money to burn.

Jeff

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
Wrx is definitely the better daily driver, especially now with the fa20. Friendlier in low rpms, but of course the trade off is in the higher range. The sti power band is further right and therefore not great for putting around town.

I just feel it is my duty to elaborate whenever I see someone lauding the launch performance of those cars. Too many people buy them and then show up with stories that go like this: "wtf my clutch is fried, but I only launched the car 3 times!?"

The clutch is also the least of what can break from hard launching.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wrx is definitely the better daily driver, especially now with the fa20. Friendlier in low rpms, but of course the trade off is in the higher range. The sti power band is further right and therefore not great for putting around town.

I just feel it is my duty to elaborate whenever I see someone lauding the launch performance of those cars. Too many people buy them and then show up with stories that go like this: "wtf my clutch is fried, but I only launched the car 3 times!?"

The clutch is also the least of what can break from hard launching.

Trust me I know where you are coming from. I have owned 4 Evo's and I had one friend that bought an Evo 8 in 2003 about a week after I bought mine. He did about 4 6000rpm clutch drops to "prove" his car was faster than mine, haha. WELL, after the 4th Launch, he got the clutch disc so hot it welded itself to the flywheel. It was towed to Mitsubishi where Mitsubishi flew in a guy from Japan to look at it the damage was so bad. All and All, Mitsubishi actually covered it under warranty. haha.

Moral of the story?? Dumping the Clutch at High RPM usually equal something bad happening. (Stock Car, Parts).

Jeff