GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can I get a moment of silence?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Did you have the tensioner upgraded?
Yes. Wasn't the timing chain. Cylinder 4 came apart, started with piston slap, haven't torn it apart to see where else it went wrong.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
ooooof and only under stage 2 power?
Yep. Moral of the story: as soon as your motor starts making ANY noise it shouldn't, stop driving it immediately...although by the time it's making nasty noises, chances are the damage is permanent

Buddy of mine is optimistic that we can fix it ourselves. Aside from LKQ, any good ideas on where to source a complete CBFA motor? Really don't want to do timing if I can help it although I'd be doing the tensioner for sure with the engine out...which, as long as I don't let the chain jump any teeth, I wouldn't have to worry about timing, right?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yep. Moral of the story: as soon as your motor starts making ANY noise it shouldn't, stop driving it immediately...although by the time it's making nasty noises, chances are the damage is permanent

Buddy of mine is optimistic that we can fix it ourselves. Aside from LKQ, any good ideas on where to source a complete CBFA motor? Really don't want to do timing if I can help it although I'd be doing the tensioner for sure with the engine out...which, as long as I don't let the chain jump any teeth, I wouldn't have to worry about timing, right?
Can always find a parts car on copart

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
More pictures of the carnage

Piston skirt came apart and let go of the wrist pin. Looks like the big end of the connecting rod stayed on the crank

Pardon the blurry pictures, this was taken with a cheap snake camera

20220821202828.jpg

20220821202352.jpg

20220821202228.jpg

20220821202310.jpg

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Damnnnnnnn...... :eek:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Damnnnnnnn...... :eek:
There's bad days, and there's good days.

Just found someone local who's selling a CBFA motor he pulled from his '14 GTI when he went built 700+whp. New timing, new injectors and manifold, has IE valve springs, $2500.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

Just found someone local who's selling a CBFA motor he pulled from his '14 GTI when he went built 700+whp. New timing, new injectors and manifold, has IE valve springs, $2500.
I agree.
We wouldn't know good days if we don't have bad days... been there. Always look at the brighter side (Positive mental attitude).

Nice! Buy it, install it, race it!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I agree.
We wouldn't know good days if we don't have bad days... been there. Always look at the brighter side (Positive mental attitude).

Nice! Buy it, install it, race it!
Dude has an ARM intercooler too so that will be a welcome upgrade. Not sure it's big enough for K04 but that's a long ways away anyway, the goal is just to get it running.

Any good ideas on where to source a 02Q transmission on the cheap? I'm looking at salvage from LKQ unless someone has a better idea...

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
One of the questions going through my mind is whether this is something that I caused, or if it is something that would have happened anyway. I won't lie, I have driven the absolute piss out of the car since I bought it.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
One of the questions going through my mind is whether this is something that I caused, or if it is something that would have happened anyway. I won't lie, I have driven the absolute piss out of the car since I bought it.
Life is all about Cause and Effect. Think it through. Nothing happens for no reason.

The answers are within you.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie

I think I talked to this gentleman on FB when I was considering picking up a spare motor. Good guy and his engine is very clean. I think it'll be a good purchase at that price. Best of luck.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I think I talked to this gentleman on FB when I was considering picking up a spare motor. Good guy and his engine is very clean. I think it'll be a good purchase at that price. Best of luck.
Thanks. I'm on the shop's schedule for this time next month; I ordered a used transmission from LKQ and am having it delivered there. They're going to replace everything that was in the oil circuit just to be safe.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. I'm on the shop's schedule for this time next month; I ordered a used transmission from LKQ and am having it delivered there. They're going to replace everything that was in the oil circuit just to be safe.
Did you end up securing the deal on the replacement engine? If so, congrats! Hope she gets back on the road swiftly.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie