GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I swear these forums are going to make me go broke. Some really good deals have popped up lately, my wallet doesn't approve!

The peer pressure is strong here. For real, for real.

@jay745 is like the CEO of PB Blaster and he’s from the Midwest.

He was the first person that came to mind. That's his go to for stuck on shit and for good reason.

PB blaster is a miracle. Liquid wrench sounds like a plumbing product

Liquid wrench is great for creeping up threads. PB blaster has a great performance/cost ratio.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It was in the plans but there wasn't enough time to get it before I left.
I know there was a thread full of where to find people who have the cables but I can't find the thread now. Does anyone have it?

There is a sticky in each region I think. Where are you again?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
It was in the plans but there wasn't enough time to get it before I left.
I know there was a thread full of where to find people who have the cables but I can't find the thread now. Does anyone have it?

Were you loosening any of the suspension bolts before the esc light came on?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I have OBDeleven but im an hour north of the springs

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
There is a sticky in each region I think. Where are you again?
Colorado springs. Is it possible that extreme toe in on one side and extreme toe out on the other is causing it to be really angry? I have visible opposing toe on my rears
Were you loosening any of the suspension bolts before the esc light came on?
The shop broke the bolt free and said bring it to the alignment shop tomorrow. I assume they fucked the alignment in the process, but I also assumed it wouldn't be too bad a problem for a couple miles to find somewhere to stay the night.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
The peer pressure is strong here. For real, for real.
Did you see how fast that KO4 went? I swear it was gone within the hour of being posted...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Did you see how fast that KO4 went? I swear it was gone within the hour of being posted...

Lol yeah. I know I messaged him about it pretty quickly. Gotta have the cash ready to go for some stuff.

Colorado springs. Is it possible that extreme toe in on one side and extreme toe out on the other is causing it to be really angry? I have visible opposing toe on my rears

That would be a good place to start. Toe really messes shit up when it's off.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Then you're not using the whipping cream right. ;)

I may be wrong, I often am, but I thought at the higher elevations that the highest of octane wasn't needed.

Since you are going to Colorado I'll recommend driving up Mt Evans, great road & in my opinion it beats Pikes Peak. They ruined Pikes Peak when they paved it although Mt Evans is paved too. Be careful coming down off those mountains. Hot brakes fail. Engine braking is your friend.

Safe travels. (y)
Pikes Peak was amazing! And yeah, be easy on the brakes.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 6: I had so many clever titles for today but just... Fuck, dude.

Start the day off going to a Napa and buying a jack + stands, A/C recharge, and some rust penetrating oil. Spray some of that shit on my toe arm in hopes it'll help and we're off.
I had several destinations in mind, and we'll start with the best one... Colby, Kansas. Why is it the best? Because that just happens to be my name!
IMG_20200521_120610.jpg

Mind the scruff, it's my quarantine look lol
I was getting annoyed with my awful GPS and I pulled over. Realized I should probably go ahead and swap my tires around while I'm parked safely.
IMG_20200521_125421.jpg

However we did not achieve this picture easily. In fact, the jack I bought would only barely lift the back wheels off the ground if I used the rear jacking point, and far from enough to get a stand under.
IMG_20200521_123822.jpg

Total junk. Rated for 4k lbs and it came even lift one corner of my 3300 lbs car. So I used the stock jack to help. Even lifting it up an inch with the stock jack caused the jack to start twisting and sliding, it is such a dangerous death trap. But I got it to work eventually.

Second destination is Pueblo, headed to a shop to have them check my suspension and tell me what bolts I'll need to order in for my new toe arms. Along the way I suffer more serious navigation headaches, and a tire pressure light. I pull over expecting hot tires, and I was right. As high as 44psi. Air down all the tires to 39, but the light won't go off so I manually turn it off with the button.

Get to the shop. Well them I'd been using rust penetrating oil all day and to give it a shot. And, draining every ounce of luck I have, it came free and was adjustable. Now, I got there 30 minutes to close and the alignment shop across the street was closing already, so they told me to just get it aligned tomorrow.
PANO_20200521_185509.vr.jpg

All excited to get on the road, I pop back up to Colorado Springs. 3 miles down the road with it pulling hard right, ESC fault, tire pressure light comes on. Great. I pull over and check my tires, one's a little high. But shouldn't be triggering it (41psi). No idea. Pull over 3 more times trying to figure out what is causing it. Still no idea. Give up and try to urgently find a place for the night.
IMG_20200521_185440.jpg

I spent the next 4 hours looking for somewhere to park overnight. Shit, here I am and I still expect I'm going to be told to leave in the middle of the night. Words will never in a million years begin to describe the harrowing adventure that took place. More navigation blunders and glitches, including it telling me to go the wrong way down a one way, and to take a literal hiking trail. Head unit acting up. Constant signage on pull off "No parking" "No overnight parking" "End your life now." You also have to understand just how heavily this suspension problem is weighing on me. I'm fucking terrified that at any moment things are going from bad to worse. My anxiety manifests as per rage, and I was screaming at my car, at my phone, at life in general. This was one of the worst experiences of my life, being in constant fear that if I brake down, I'm fucked. No ride, no bed, fucked.
Oh. And now my CEL is on. Code says intake leak, which is where I've been thinking the sounds are coming from. We'll see
IMG_20200521_172755.jpg

Jesus christ. This were the major events. I typed that all our and realized I completely forgot everything else.
I saw my second and third GTI today. And I mean for the whole trip. In 3600 miles, I've seen 3 GTIs. I also saw the very first WRX since Virginia, maybe even earlier. I saw tumbleweed on the interstate. And I killed my first ever animal with my car today. Like a fucking Sadie I laughed for a while minute before realizing and getting real sad. The reason I was laughing is because I was a fucking bird, and one that flew down and was flying slow in front of my going along with traffic. I mean, natural selection but damn I feel so bad. I could've braked, sweetness, literally anything. I did morning cause I expected it to fly away like birds always do, but nope 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyway, I'm going to smoke some pot and way the most depression dinner ever: white bread. I may even eat a raw hot dog.

Fuck.

Last edited: