GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do we think about these???

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4L

Banned
just taking a guess... especially based on pretty much never seeing one at a track day, and I've many many odd and different cars at track days.

There are only 600 of them in existence... And because they don't go to the track means they lack feel??

Interesting 'deductive' reasoning there???

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
There are only 600 of them in existence... And because they don't go to the track means they lack feel??

Interesting 'deductive' reasoning there???

No review of a Saab or Volvo have said the handling was anything too superb. So yes, that based with never seeing them at track days, has made me deduce / infer that they are not going to handle as well as a similar vehicles from German manufacturers. Correct.

adolan21

Ready to race!
I had a Saab 9-3 a few years back and I had so many problems with it. My transmission went out at 70K miles and the windows would constantly have pinch protection randomly kick in making the window come right back down. I would get random errors all the time like light bulbs out when not actually out, gearbox malfunction probably 1 out of every 10 starts even after the transmission was replaced, and a host of other random errors. The buttons would peel so easily especially the fan speed buttons as you'll notice when you look at some. Then the exhaust rusted through needing to be replaced (can't entirely blame the car as I was the 2nd owner). Would I own one again? Probably, it looked great, handled decently enough, got decent gas mileage, and it got serious looks. I guess that's how some of you feel about your GTI, even though it has it's quirks it's worth it.

C4L

Banned
No review of a Saab or Volvo have said the handling was anything too superb. So yes, that based with never seeing them at track days, has made me deduce / infer that they are not going to handle as well as a similar vehicles from German manufacturers. Correct.

It is a fun/fast daily driver. Not a track car. That needs to be kept in mind. Under normal driving conditions and for day-to-day use, the 'feel' differences would be negligible.

And while it MAY lack the 'feel' of the Germans at the limit, it is still likely much better than any Japanese/Domestic equivalent.

And it is considerably cheaper than a German equivalent as well. This car here would be comparable/similar to a limited-production (if there was such a thing) 335i X-Drive M-Sport. And you aren't getting a 2008/2009 335i X-Drive M-Sport with under 50k miles for under $20k. Under $30k with those kind of miles would be a stretch right now.

And would be like a 'knock-off/almost S4' for less than A4 prices as well...

C4L

Banned
I had a Saab 9-3 a few years back and I had so many problems with it. My transmission went out at 70K miles and the windows would constantly have pinch protection randomly kick in making the window come right back down. I would get random errors all the time like light bulbs out when not actually out, gearbox malfunction probably 1 out of every 10 starts even after the transmission was replaced, and a host of other random errors. The buttons would peel so easily especially the fan speed buttons as you'll notice when you look at some. Then the exhaust rusted through needing to be replaced (can't entirely blame the car as I was the 2nd owner). Would I own one again? Probably, it looked great, handled decently enough, got decent gas mileage, and it got serious looks. I guess that's how some of you feel about your GTI, even though it has it's quirks it's worth it.

That was a concern I had. The specs and figures and look and features and build and whatnot are all appealing to me, especially for this kind of jack. The GM/Saab reliability is a potential issue as there is no CPO program on them anymore, of course.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It is a fun/fast daily driver. Not a track car. That needs to be kept in mind. Under normal driving conditions and for day-to-day use, the 'feel' differences would be negligible.

And while it MAY lack the 'feel' of the Germans at the limit, it is still likely much better than any Japanese/Domestic equivalent.

And it is considerably cheaper than a German equivalent as well. This car here would be comparable/similar to a limited-production (if there was such a thing) 335i X-Drive M-Sport. And you aren't getting a 2008/2009 335i X-Drive M-Sport with under 50k miles for under $20k. Under $30k with those kind of miles would be a stretch right now.

And would be like a 'knock-off/almost S4' for less than A4 prices as well...

'knock-off/almost S4' << If that's what you/a potential buyer wants, then have at it ;) which S4, surely not the newest one, and the old one... kinda sucked.

Never said track car, but its competition is more "trackable", yes. ;)

Again, haven't seen too many car reviews/comparos of this car vs others in its supposed class, have you? and if so, I'm sure it didn't fair too well...

Saab had a ton of GM parts, so how is that "better than the domestic equivalent" exactly?

335xi is hands down more expensive initially than the Saab (when optioned comparably), arguably more luxurious, is waaaaay faster, and has much better resale value.

Your turn ;)

C4L

Banned
'knock-off/almost S4' << If that's what you/a potential buyer wants, then have at it ;) which S4, surely not the newest one, and the old one... kinda sucked.

Never said track car, but its competition is more "trackable", yes. ;)

Again, haven't seen too many car reviews/comparos of this car vs others in its supposed class, have you? and if so, I'm sure it didn't fair too well...

Saab had a ton of GM parts, so how is that "better than the domestic equivalent" exactly?

335xi is hands down more expensive initially than the Saab (when optioned comparably), arguably more luxurious, is waaaaay faster, and has much better resale value.

Your turn ;)

All I am saying is that there is huge value there. If it is unrealized to you that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

However, to address some of the hyperbole you are passing off as facts;

- Obviously comparing a 2008/2009 Turbo X to a 2008/2009 (B7) S4. Not the newest one.

- You are guessing that it doesn't fair as well as its competitors but when it was new this 280hp AWD Saab was priced like an A4/328i X-Drive. I am sure FOR THE MONEY, it easily outperformed those cars in 2008.

- Saab had tons of Opel/Vauxhall parts at this time mixed with plenty of Saab bits. Not quite the same as a 2008/2009 Chevy Malibu...

- The 2008 335i X-Drive (not RWD) had nearly identical OBJECTIVE performance to this 2008 Turbo-X. While it had a bit more power and better balance it was also heavier and had smaller wheels/tires. And in 2008, that was the N54 335, not the better N55.

And do you think a 2008/2009 N54 335i X-Drive M-Sport would be TWICE as good as this 9-3 Turbo X? It costs twice as much in the market today...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
All I am saying is that there is huge value there. If it is unrealized to you that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

However, to address some of the hyperbole you are passing off as facts;

Hyperbole? not sure that really meets the definition... but ok.

- Obviously comparing a 2008/2009 Turbo X to a 2008/2009 (B7) S4. Not the newest one.

in that case, I'd buy Turbo X probably. 07-09 S4 was... weak.

- You are guessing that it doesn't fair as well as its competitors but when it was new this 280hp AWD Saab was priced like an A4/328i X-Drive. I am sure FOR THE MONEY, it easily outperformed those cars in 2008.

Where are the mag stats, tho? I rely on you for this info man ;)

In 2008, yes, I agree compared to an a4/328i, but you brought up S4 / 335xi... so now you are changing the initial comparison, are you not?

In going with your new models for comparo, then yes, I think the hp rating was way higher and most likely was the better bang for buck performance package overall - compared to the A4/328i.

- Saab had tons of Opel/Vauxhall parts at this time mixed with plenty of Saab bits. Not quite the same as a 2008/2009 Chevy Malibu...

sure, agreed.

- The 2008 335i X-Drive (not RWD) had nearly identical OBJECTIVE performance to this 2008 Turbo-X. While it had a bit more power and better balance it was also heavier and had smaller wheels/tires. And in 2008, that was the N54 335, not the better N55.

It was still fast as all get out - again, what are the numbers, dig em up and lets look. My '08 335xi was fast as balls.

And do you think a 2008/2009 N54 335i X-Drive M-Sport would be TWICE as good as this 9-3 Turbo X? It costs twice as much in the market today...

its in the eye of the beholder/buyer...

do I want what appears to be a faux luxury car at a lower price, slower, less brand appeal, less resale value, out of warranty, no cpo program, no dealer support...

OR:

faster
more lux
better options (likely, but arguably I'm sure)
better looking, imho (coupe for sure, sedan - again, subjective)
"brand recognition"
Would assume better shifter
100K extended warranty on the HPFP included in CPO
easy to tune / lots of aftermarket support

Status
Not open for further replies.