GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.8T Jetta - This Spark Anyone's Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't spark my interest but in the upcoming MK7 Golf, it does as I'm not a sedan person. But I do see the appeal in the segment. It's a solid offering to the Focus, Mazda3, Cruze, Dart etc. And would be my top choice.

I may go cheap on my next car and at present, its a toss up between the new Mazda3 hatch and MK7 Golf.

Wow, that's a big downgrade, why no MS3/GTI/R?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that's a big downgrade, why no MS3/GTI/R?

I only drive 5k miles a year. I'm also saving to purchase an apartment building and will need all my cash and lower my overhead. My x1 (while I love it) is an epic waste of money.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I only drive 5k miles a year. I'm also saving to purchase an apartment building and will need all my cash and lower my overhead. My x1 (while I love it) is an epic waste of money.

Not trying to thread jack too badly here, but how in the world does one only drive 5k a year?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Not trying to thread jack too badly here, but how in the world does one only drive 5k a year?

ha my cousins mom drives less than that a year, she works 2 miles away from home. and she just got 10k and got her accord 4 years ago

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
My thing is, everyone on here drives basically a new car. I'd much rather just stick with my GTI than have a car that's a couple years newer but a worse car to start. The Jetta we have is engineered for Americans. It's a lot more of a boat than a GTI. Power isn't that great if the chasis stinks.

Modding a base car to handle as well as a GTI/GLI will probably use all the savings anyway, and it still has a smaller engine.

SO I agree with all of that.

McQueen, I mean look at facts. Your GTI has <40k miles it is still good for at least another 2 years while it is under the 5 year 60k powertrain.
It is a much faster and more fun to drive car. You'd give all of that up to be in a "rental status" Jetta. Granted it may provide you with marginal better MPG, two extra doors and pleather, but at a HUGE price. As of right now it is about 8k more than your GTI, unless you lease...

Getting the 2014 jetta makes no sense yet. Maybe after your powertrain is u., Since your GTI is currently depreciating at a really slow pace I'd drive that until it becomes too much of a burden due to lack of rear doors or because it has real reliability concerns.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Two other things I'd love to understand are...
1. How the F does it run on regular with a turbo. There have been numerous turbo cars tuned to run on 87, but many reports have shown that running 91 actually erases the cost savings of the cheaper fuel, by offsetting it by superior MPG. In cars like the Cruz
2. How is it 1 second faster to 60 than the 2.5 even though the car will feature the same exact transmission... and has the same advertised HP. That smells fishy.

McQueen77

Banned
I didnt say i was going to run out and buy one, just that i want to check it out and i think its solid for the price. Also, on the gay scale, the miata is an 11 and the jetta is a 5. I see tons of gay dudes in A4s and 3 series... I mean you really cant win in that arena. I mean look at plac, rolling in a big man car and he wants to get back into something gay asap... This muscle car justbisnt doing it.... Must get back into a cute little hatchback at any cost!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I didnt say i was going to run out and buy one, just that i want to check it out and i think its solid for the price. Also, on the gay scale, the miata is an 11 and the jetta is a 5. I see tons of gay dudes in A4s and 3 series... I mean you really cant win in that arena. I mean look at plac, rolling in a big man car and he wants to get back into something gay asap... This muscle car justbisnt doing it.... Must get back into a cute little hatchback at any cost!

I don't think a Miata is "gay" per say, neither is a Jetta. But a Jetta is very mainstream and boring, I'd probably go with something non german non turbo if I wanted basic transportation.

Ie 4 Cyl Accord SE with leather or camry SE, they sticker at 26k and IMO are better cars all around for the transportation purpose.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Getting the 2014 jetta makes no sense yet. Maybe after your powertrain is u., Since your GTI is currently depreciating at a really slow pace I'd drive that until it becomes too much of a burden due to lack of rear doors or because it has real reliability concerns.
I thought all VWs come with this stock?

JK

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I don't think a Miata is "gay" per say, neither is a Jetta. But a Jetta is very mainstream and boring, I'd probably go with something non german non turbo if I wanted basic transportation.

Ie 4 Cyl Accord SE with leather or camry SE, they sticker at 26k and IMO are better cars all around for the transportation purpose.

Yep. The last Jetta I had as a rental made me say out loud "Jeez I feel bad for anyone who actually purchases one of these." Especially since the other rentals I have recently had (Chevy Cruze and Malibu) blow it away in every single way possible except for maybe transmission reaction times.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I thought all VWs come with this stock?

JK

They do... unless they don't have a turbo... that's the rule of thumb. :thumbsup:

And that's why I suggested the whole ... keep within warranty then dump part.

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

My office is only 4 miles away (10 min drive vs 45 min bus so I drive). I travel, a lot. I rarely drive on weekends (walkable neighborhood).

The 0-60 times are estimates. Need real world testing to show actual performance. What I see on the grid is all marketing.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

Fair enough... well the new 3 and MKVII should both be pretty nice rides for an affordable price.

I pretty much agree with max on all accounts in this thread... altthough the 1.8T may be fun with a tune. I rode in a 1.8T MKIV this weekend, all stripped interior and everything (racecar) and the owner drove it really fast but I was amazed at how slow it was acceleration wise compared to my car (I realize these are probably pretty different engines).

Also, 5 speed manual? What is this, 1996? I mean I'm sure it's actually fine, but just kind of surprising they're still releasing new cars that aren't 6 speeds, even Hyundai Accents are 6 speeds IIRC. At least they still make a manual I spose.

rs999

Go Kart Champion

How can a car be gay unless it's a hybrid :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

best post of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.