GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.8T Jetta - This Spark Anyone's Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimm

Passed Driver's Ed
Got 9 of the 1.8 Jetta's in last week. They are a poor replacement power wise for the 2.5l

McQueen77

Banned
^^explain. so the numbers are not accurate?

Yep, whatever the engine lost in extra cylinder weight it gained in turbo/intercooler/piping re-enforced block etc. :laugh:

yep.. lighter i guess because everything is plastic and light weight aluminum according to the description... "new improved tin foil turbo the size of a deck of cards for 22% better hwy EPA fuel estimates"

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
ok, half a year ago I test drove my friend's jetta 2.5 SE with leather/sunroof, and I also test drove my GF's loaner which is the jetta S (base 2.0 I4). The 2.5 motor do have some power, but only when u really rev past around 3000 rpm, and I have to admit it has more exhaust noise into the cabin than my GTI, and it sounds a little like those old Audi I5 too. Compare to the base S model, it sucks...well the advantage of the base model is you can Full Throttle at every stop sign without wheel spin... I guess the new motor do gives you the "usable" torque more quickly, so the acceleration will be better. On the corners I am guessing the GLI still has more advantage over the jetta given its a sport tuned suspension. After all, GLI is still a GTI with a trunk.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
1.8T with DSG in the B7 Passat would be a winner. Add some APR tuning and you'd have a full size 300hp sedan.

McQueen77

Banned
my buddy who has the Jetta SEL is this Armenian guy who comes from owning a lot of tuner cars.. the Armos in L.A. love that shit. He loves his Jetta. Drives the shit out of it, just beats it into the dirt and hasn't had a hiccup in the 2 years he's had it. he also makes like $250k a year playing poker in Vegas but doesn't care about owning a more expensive car, so go figure

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
1.8T with DSG in the B7 Passat would be a winner. Add some APR tuning and you'd have a full size 300hp sedan.

300hp out of a car with a brand new "weakened" engine designed to get 180hp and through the front wheels... :laugh:

There is nothing good about that.

McQueen77

Banned
300hp out of a car with a brand new "weakened" engine designed to get 180hp and through the front wheels... :laugh:

There is nothing good about that.

yeah, i will say, its a shame they don't offer 4Motion in the top line Passat V6 SE or SEL trim.. You definitely feel the FWD when you get on it. Thing has seriously legit power and a no-slush gearbox that puts that power down in the blink of an eye so it can be torque steer city at times. If they came out with a V6 Passat w/4 motion i'd sell the farm for that fucker. the V6 really appeals to me as well vs. everything going in the Turbo direction. good ol' fashioned displacement that has to be more reliable than turbo in the long term.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
yeah, i will say, its a shame they don't offer 4Motion in the top line Passat V6 SE or SEL trim.. You definitely feel the FWD when you get on it. Thing has seriously legit power and a no-slush gearbox that puts that power down in the blink of an eye so it can be torque steer city at times. If they came out with a V6 Passat w/4 motion i'd sell the farm for that fucker. the V6 really appeals to me as well vs. everything going in the Turbo direction. good ol' fashioned displacement that has to be more reliable than turbo in the long term.

Oh interesting I didn't read that in your review.

I found my TDI and GTIs to be completely torque steer free so I was curious if VW managed to tame a 300hp FWD passat :laugh: clearly not.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It is called Golf R32 mkv

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

That is in fact a great car... pre cost cutting so that the battery is actually located in the trunk for better weight distribution...etc etc.

Sadly... only came in 2 door form and much uglier Mk V body.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Two other things I'd love to understand are...
1. How the F does it run on regular with a turbo. There have been numerous turbo cars tuned to run on 87, but many reports have shown that running 91 actually erases the cost savings of the cheaper fuel, by offsetting it by superior MPG. In cars like the Cruz

The 2.0 turbo in the Sonata/Optima makes 260/260 on 87 octane. No idea how.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

McQueen77

Banned
Oh interesting I didn't read that in your review.

I found my TDI and GTIs to be completely torque steer free so I was curious if VW managed to tame a 300hp FWD passat :laugh: clearly not.

i dont think i put it in the review.. it only torque steers when you jump on it.. like if you tap 2 gears down on the freeway and gun it, it gets a tad squirrely. as i mentioned, the brakes are a weak spot for sure. even lamer than the GTI brakes.. oh and the analog center clock.. they really blew loads on that one. they should have taken a hint from infinity and at least had a decent analog clock. this thing looks like a 2 dollar gumball machine watch.. how expensive would it have been to put a legit little clock in there? damn german bastards.. these are the same people though who make the epic thousands of mile journey to the south rim of the grand canyon every year, wearing weird multicolored socks with sandles and strange capri style cargo pants and buying up every dream cratcher and pan flute they can find at the grand canyon gift shop, david hasselhoff blasting from their camp sites..

outshined

Go Kart Champion
Kessy and leatherette for $22k sparks my interest. It will be interesting to see if any such trims are available for the Mk7 Golf. I would love to see a cheaper GTI trim with leatherette.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Kessy and leatherette for $22k sparks my interest. It will be interesting to see if any such trims are available for the Mk7 Golf. I would love to see a cheaper GTI trim with leatherette.

I don't think the GTI is going to ever be any cheaper than the $24k it is now. A Polo GTI for a few K less would be rad. I'm the one person who thinks the GTI is kind of huge.

outshined

Go Kart Champion
I meant a GTI trim with leatherette cheaper than the Autobahn. Maybe a leatherette trim for like $26.5K.

I would be all over the Polo GTI if they brought it across the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.