GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.8T Jetta - This Spark Anyone's Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQueen77

Banned
In all honesty, i have not driven a current gen Jetta, only ridden in my friend's who has a 2011 SEL. I thought it was pretty nice inside. Then we made out.

I wouldn't buy an Accord over a Jetta. Only because I'm am soiled on Hondas since it was THE car of choice for my parents for years. I've owned many Hondas. Never again. Styling is important to me and for my tastes I think the Jetta is a lot cooler than an Accord. I don't mind what others would call 'bland', for ex. I like the styling of the current gen Passat. So anyway, I'd have to drive it.

But yes, the bar has been set with the GTI. Stage 1 2010 GTI is a solid and pretty quick car. I haven't had any of the issues that people complain of on this forum, except rattles which have mysteriously gone away the older the car has gotten. I took some steps to make that happen, but otherwise, its pretty buttoned up in my ride. No water pump failures, no slipping clutch, no check engine light ever, and 26-28mpg overall since Ive had it and i drive the shit out of it. So I'm sure once I drive the Jetta it'll be a pretty ho hum experience and I'll move on. But I'm not totally closed minded about it.

Two other things I'd love to understand are...
1. How the F does it run on regular with a turbo. There have been numerous turbo cars tuned to run on 87, but many reports have shown that running 91 actually erases the cost savings of the cheaper fuel, by offsetting it by superior MPG. In cars like the Cruz
2. How is it 1 second faster to 60 than the 2.5 even though the car will feature the same exact transmission... and has the same advertised HP. That smells fishy.

this is a good question. the answer is probably related to the fact that the guys who actually engineer VWs are fucking geniuses and they can figure that stuff out? it is 1 second faster #BECAUSETURBO

also, for 'basic' transportation, I'd take a 1.8T that I can tune with a 5 spd manual or a slushbox and a fairly responsive sport mode any day over a godamn continuously vaginal transmission and whatever 4 banger Honda is throwing in their Accords these days.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
this is a good question. the answer is probably related to the fact that the guys who actually engineer VWs are fucking geniuses and they can figure that stuff out? it is 1 second faster #BECAUSETURBO

also, for 'basic' transportation, I'd take a 1.8T that I can tune with a 5 spd manual or a slushbox and a fairly responsive sport mode any day over a godamn continuously vaginal transmission and whatever 4 banger Honda is throwing in their Accords these days.

Turbos make a lot of torque at low RPM, lots more motive force right off the line. In an engine that makes similar peak HP figures on a much broader torque curve, its no surprise that the turbo engine is far quicker.

McQueen77

Banned
^ this

End of the day though when i end up in a sedan, ill prob end up in a passat vr6 sel. I think of that car often. The passats are getting the 1.8 as well... Why they arent giving those considerably bigger and heavier cars the 2.0T is a shame

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Turbos make a lot of torque at low RPM, lots more motive force right off the line. In an engine that makes similar peak HP figures on a much broader torque curve, its no surprise that the turbo engine is far quicker.

Very possible... or it is underrated like the 2.0T is underrated.

The 2.5 makes about 150 at the wheels I believe, if the 1.8T makes 170 at the wheels that could explain the difference.

McQueen77

Banned
thats only cuz you are partial to hatchbacks... actually no, you're probably right.. reading the specs of the golf, it sounds more driver oriented than the Jetta

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
thats only cuz you are partial to hatchbacks... actually no, you're probably right.. reading the specs of the golf, it sounds more driver oriented than the Jetta

Yep... might be worth the wait... And maybe it'll have a 6 speed manual, although doubtful.

That would actually make for a pretty darn good commuter car. If the price differential between the golf and gti remains same and now it comes with the turbo.

You could get a nice 4 door manual for 20k... seems like a no brainer.

McQueen77

Banned
yes, id just have to live with the hatchback. from a utility perspective, i love the hatchback. its got the utility of a CUV while still having the handling and center of gravity of a smaller, sportier car. but i dont think they compare to the look of a sleek sedan.. that said, you are right.. the 2015 Golf looks really, really nice compared to the current gen and wouldn't feel as far from the GTI compared to the Jetta probably. def worth checking that one out as well.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Regarding the speed differential, another thing to consider is that new 4 banger has to be significantly lighter than the 5-pot, no?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yep looks identical to my TDI/JSW with leather.

McQueen77

Banned
i deleted it. too wide of a pic

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Regarding the speed differential, another thing to consider is that new 4 banger has to be significantly lighter than the 5-pot, no?

nah, turbos and associated hardware (IC, plumbing, etc) weigh a lot.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
nah, turbos and associated hardware (IC, plumbing, etc) weigh a lot.

Yep, whatever the engine lost in extra cylinder weight it gained in turbo/intercooler/piping re-enforced block etc. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.