andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Purchased January 2011
2011 cw mk6 gti
4 door
dsg
leather interior
17" denver wheels

Here are a couple of pics after the weather finally stopped dumping the white stuff.

Stock

This will really be the first car that I have ever modified in any way, so I am going to take it slow and do what I feel I can handle. It is my daily driver so I will have to keep the weekend projects managable. I am pretty happy currently with the performance, and most of the mods I am looking at doing are primarily cosmetic, with some mild performance gains (mainly tires). I am looking to personalize the car a bit while keeping it really clean. I am sure others are in similar situations, as far as experience goes, so i'll try to be honest and clear about how hard things are for me to complete and how long they take so that others can learn from my mistakes. So far the feedback on this forum has been great, so I will continue to ask for advise and look to other's experiences as learning tools.

I will also be potentially looking at some performance mods as I get used to the car.. but I am going to keep researching before making any more substantial moves in that direction.

So far, I am in love with this car! :drool:

Cosmetic Mods:
Color matched side markers

R LED tinted Tails

OEM color matched front lip

Tint 30% all the way around - don't like the minivan look.

Red LED footwell lights

Plaid vinyl rear hatch emblem insert, steering wheel insert, rear view mirror

wrap, wrapped license plate frame

Seat handle inserts

Performance Mods:
DG springs. (have on hand just have to install)

Unibrace XB

Unibrace UB

Last edited:

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Sounds like a good mindset for mods :thumbsup:
keep it up

I know you are not too focused on performance mods, but I strongly suggest getting the car chipped. TRANSFORMS the car.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a good mindset for mods :thumbsup:
keep it up

I know you are not too focused on performance mods, but I strongly suggest getting the car chipped. TRANSFORMS the car.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it. Is the "chipping" of the car simply and remapping of the engine management system, or is there hardware installed as well?

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I strongly suggest getting the car chipped. TRANSFORMS the car.

+1

At a minimum you should get a stage 1 tune. As AP Dubbin stated it does transform the car. Makes it feel more responsive, powerful etc. It requires no additional hardware or mods to work. If your going to do ANY engine, or power mods do this first, it is better than any intake, or exhaust will ever be at making the GTI feel like a proper "hot hatch".

Welcome to the GTI family and happy modding. :thumbsup:

JP

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
omg those wheels are saweeeeet!!!!!!!

They look great I agree. Two things are holding me back right now... weight and cost... need to think a bit more before I spend that much cash... need to be absolutely sure.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Tails came in yesterday.. I was out of town. I guess I didn't know that TM tuning was overseas.... ordered the adapters etc from them on monday, but it will be another week till they get here. :( I'll post pics of them installed once I get the adapters.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice! you'll love em, man...

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
nice man cant wait to see it with the led tails

man... I can't wait... hope they come today so I can install them this weekend...

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
ok, we had some nice weather this weekend so I got my tails on.

So this was a pretty easy mod to those that are considering it. This is my first modification where i have taken off a part and replaced it with anything so take this into account.

The video on you tube by Livid is a good place to start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBG8fHfXi5s

You need:
set of LED tails - got mine from ECS Tuning - pricey but worth it imo.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Taillights/ES1910142/

set of adapters - got mine from TMTuning - these plug into the factory plugs then into the LEDs - you need 4 which is how they are sold from TMTuning.
http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2699
adapters listed on the bottom of the page

Code Box Dongle - this plugs into the communications port below the steering wheel on the left, in my car the jack is pink. this fixes the bulb out error.
http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2699

If you can unscrew a bolt and plug in a light to an outlet you can do this mod. It took me about 45 mins to do everything, again my first real mod, and I was being extremely careful.

Tools you need -
Your Hands - they do 90% of the work.
A socket wrench with an 8mm socket.

The toughest part of this install for me was with the outer passenger side light. When you pull back the carpet there is significantly less room than the drivers side (which is the side shown in livids video) to grab the white spring loaded fastener that holds the light in place. I have pretty big hands and it took me probably 5 mins to unscrew the damn thing. Otherwise it was a piece of cake. The code box, while costly at 40 bucks, is worth it if you don't know someone who can do the VAG work for you. The box worked right away and I was happy to see that error go away.

I have video of the standard lights, and the LED in place, which I will post when I have a min.

All in all, I am very happy with the decision to do these and love walking to the car while looking at the back. And if you think these look good in sunlight you should see them at night... awesome!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MKV GTI1

Car is looking great. Did you go with the tinted tails?

If you are still interested in wheels, my buddy has his bbs co's for sale.