GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

andy_uranium's build thread

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
The hatch pop kit is back in stock at ECS tuning. Ordered one and will install it myself, looks super easy and should help alot with having to pop the trunk at customs constantly and trying to explain to officers how to open it using the vw emblem.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2083320/

Last edited:

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Too funny on customs...lol. You know you have to shut off car, for remote to work? I am in process of adding a button to my center console for it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lookn' good here...

You should have no prob doing the hatch pop, I did that too, and I'm the worst mechanic in human existence.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Too funny on customs...lol. You know you have to shut off car, for remote to work? I am in process of adding a button to my center console for it.

Not a problem.. it is part of the required routine when they ask to see in your trunk. "Shut your car off, pop the trunk and give me your keys". I cross twice a day so like 500 times a year... ugh. So it will be used for sure a lot.
How hard is it to add a button in the console? Our cars should come with this feature....

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Installed the hatch pop kit from ECS. It was pretty simple, took me about 10 minutes. For those interested here is the link. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Hatch_Pop_Kit/ES2083320/Video190-SD/
Works well, but it does increase the amount of force needed to shut the hatch considerably. I am hoping that the hydraulics loosen up a bit with use.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Got the plaid vinyl for the rear view mirror from Klii and installed tonight. Looks good. Also got the license plate frames and the vinyl for the steering wheel .. I think it is enough, I have the leather seats so this give me bit of plaid without going overboard. Too dark out now to take pictures, I wil shoot some tomorrow and add it here. Also going to try and install the oem front lip tomorrow if it isn't raining. Anyone do this without jacking the car up?

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
So tired...
Installed the front lip, unibrace UB and XB today. The lip was easy enough as was the UB. The XB was tough, mostly due to the location and having to remove the seats. Been hunched over the entire afternoon wresting with the seats and the nutserts. Got it in but screwed up one of the nutserts on the final bolt in. I could probably do it a lot faster if I had to do it again, but it probably took me a solid 4 hours, not including the break I took to calm down. Had to run to Canadian tire to get a wrench I was missing mid install as well. I had the UB in place and the car feels slight more solid as others have stated. I did also notce a more planted feel while braking, plac said he felt the UB most when accelerating so I suppose it make sense that it would work ini a similar way decelerating. I will post pics tomorrow once I have the energy to go and fix a couple of loose ends on the re-install of the seats.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
One thing I realized pretty quickly installing the front lip is that I didn't need the black adapter piece. The existing black trim piece under the bumper had all the correct holes already. I am thinking that earlier models needed the trim but for 2011 they prepped it to receive the front lip. Took maybe 5 mins to install once I had the car up and on jack stands.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
So... Very happy with the braces, but I need to talk to Bruce about getting another nutsert and bolt. It is very tight on there but I can't unbolt it. I will occasionally need to remove the brace so I'm going to have to cut the bolt out and remove the nutsert. Front lip looks good as well.
Another frustration though. I've been waiting on getting some wheels, OZ supertourismo LMs, tire rack had them for the last couple of months as expected back in stock last week. Now they are listed as special order. I'll have to look into it, but it probably means won't have these on this year. Disappointed to say the least, so I may have to look at something else instead.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Front Lip Installed Pic -

Unibrace XB installed Pic -

Unibrace UB installed Pic -

Klii Vinyl Wrap on rear view mirror and 35th edition dice

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Ordered wheels and tires.... Should be here this week. Went with the OZ supertourismos and hankook evo v12s. Looking forward to getting them mounted. :D