GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Utahns?

Utah Beast Mode

Ready to race!
Where's all the other Utah GTI owners at? Lol.

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
I remember that there is something weird with the way the ecu reads the pressure. It gets it from the Map sensor, but I know there is some sort of correction that has to take place.

Last edited:

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
I remember that there is something weird with the way the ecu reads the pressure. It gets it from the Map sensor, but I know there is some sort of correction that has to take place.

Ya I'm almost positive you have to divide in half it's the only thing that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
APR 3.1 tune I'd running 25-28 psi consistently. This is 10-13psi over what the K03 produced. Keep in mind it isn't the pressure that usually blows up internals. It is the back pressure of the restrictive manifold that opens exhaust valves and causes a lean situation. Thus grenades the motor. Once you go big turbo, the restriction is gone, but now the pressure does wear on the pistons and rods.

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
APR 3.1 tune I'd running 25-28 psi consistently. This is 10-13psi over what the K03 produced. Keep in mind it isn't the pressure that usually blows up internals. It is the back pressure of the restrictive manifold that opens exhaust valves and causes a lean situation. Thus grenades the motor. Once you go big turbo, the restriction is gone, but now the pressure does wear on the pistons and rods.

Ya I'm thinking march 2015 just going ahead and replacing valve springs just to be safe.

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
It really is a good idea. I was thinking of developing a less restrictive hot side for the Borg Warner turbo that is used for all the K04 kits. Something you would have to split the CHRA and reassemble to turbo with. Best of both worlds, fast spool time and no back pressure restriction.

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!

Ok I got it take 2253 then minus 1000 for atmospheric pressure then multiply by 0.0145037738 the answer is
That sounds much better I was starting to get worried I was like there no way the engine will hold up to anymore boost haha

Last edited:

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
Yep that sounds better. I knew it was a "corrected" amount. This is why I rely on my trusty mechanical boost gauge. It never lies to me!

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
It really is a good idea. I was thinking of developing a less restrictive hot side for the Borg Warner turbo that is used for all the K04 kits. Something you would have to split the CHRA and reassemble to turbo with. Best of both worlds, fast spool time and no back pressure restriction.

Really how so like on the turbine side different wheel/fins? Or some kind of spacer? Idk just a shot in the dark.

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
Yep that sounds better. I knew it was a "corrected" amount. This is why I rely on my trusty mechanical boost gauge. It never lies to me!

Yup mine is waiting to be installed.

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
Nah, a new casting for the exhaust manifold leading to the turbo. If you have ever seen a K04 it has a very small runner leading to the turbine wheel On the exhaust side. I think this could be designed a little better to allow better flow but still spool at a good rate. A lot like the disco potato turbo was for the 1.8t.

Last edited:

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
Nah, a new casting for the exhaust manifold leading to the turbo. If you have ever seen a K04 it has a very small runner leading to the turbine wheel On the exhaust side. I think this could be designed a little better to allow better flow but still spool at a good rate. A lot like the disco potato turbo was for the 1.8t.

No I haven't actually seen it in person. So will there still be benefits to a different manifold if you get stronger valve springs? I'm guessing just less back pressure on the system all together is a plus. I thought it was just the design of the turbine wheel that really causes the most back pressure

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
On this turbo I believe it is mostly due to the very small Exhaust runners. If you look at the big turbo kits, they all have a custom manifold that is hella beefier and flows much better. The valve springs are really only needed when there is a lot of back pressure. The big turbo guys don't usually do springs.

Last edited:

Gretchen GTI

Ready to race!
On this turbo I believe it is mostly due to the very small Exhaust runners. If you look at the big turbo kits, they all have a custom manifold that is hella beefier and flows much better. The valve springs are really only needed when there is a lot of back pressure. The big turbo guys don't usually do springs.

True but they also are recommended to upgrade their internals but that'd be awesome if the k04 kit had wider runners and could alleviate the back pressure

GlowstickNinja21

Ready to race!
I agree. It would then be a sort of hybrid turbo. I know why they are designed the way they are. To be reliable and predictable. But that's no fun! Hahaha