GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE CCB Intake Install and Review

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
The price for me is way too much to make it worth it to me. I would do APR or BSH for $100-150 less. I like the way this looks though.

why? it's technically cheaper than APR because an equivalent APR setup (stage 1 AND 2) is more expensive. it's also realistically not that much more expensive than the BSH intake because the AWE intake has the CF housing, and you couldn't fairly expect an intake that uses more expensive materials to cost the same.

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!
why? it's technically cheaper than APR because an equivalent APR setup (stage 1 AND 2) is more expensive. it's also realistically not that much more expensive than the BSH intake because the AWE intake has the CF housing, and you couldn't fairly expect an intake that uses more expensive materials to cost the same.

I agree for the materials, it is probably a good deal, but for performance gain I doubt it is worth the extra money. Since I don't have any intake I can't say for certain.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
I agree for the materials, it is probably a good deal, but for performance gain I doubt it is worth the extra money, but since I don't have any intake I can't say for certain.

my point was that technically you aren't paying extra money for the AWE intake. if we're talking performance, I'm the one to argue that intakes don't do shit, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Bender1

Banned
A couple more notes that I forgot to mention:

Your instrument cluster will light up like the Fourth of July, and that's ok. If this is your first time disconnecting your battery you might not be ready for that. The warning lights will go out after 3 or 4 minutes. You will also need to reset your window auto up and auto down (roll each window all the way down, then all the way up on the FIRST click of the button - then you can double click the button and auto should work again).

Under initial idle you will hear the secondary breather sucking like a beast. Normal and will go away after a minute or two. You didn't hear this before as it was in the airbox previously.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
my point was that technically you aren't paying extra money for the AWE intake. if we're talking performance, I'm the one to argue that intakes don't do shit, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I agree, intake by itself won't do very much, however software is the biggest bang for the buck, adding intake on top of software makes an even bigger difference.

That being said, I just pulled off my AWE intake for the GTI and replaced it with a VF Engineering intake since I won it at a raffle:)

Now since my wife's CC has GIAC software, I might just stick the AWE intake into her CC since my other buddy is gonna borrow it for Socal Euro's autocross/ performance driving clinic... Maybe I'll do a before and after dynolicious run...

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Get a very thin tipped flathead screwdriver or a razor blade to nudge the cap piece up - there are actually two pieces, similar to function as a sidewall screw. you'll have to pull out the first piece before you can remove the second one that is the guide/holder piece.

thanks...I did tried a few times to slowly nudge the taps out but just worry I pull too hard and slap the piece. Maybe I just ask AWE to order some taps backup so I can be a little reassure if I do make mistake.

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
any tips on how to get the box flushed to the inlet duct on the grill? I have to pick my box up once in a while and stick it back it. Thinking maybe i should add a foam piece to the lower half to help secure it.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Random question as I am thinking about an intake...but wouldn't getting the ITG drop-in filter result in the same hp gains as just about any intake out there other than EVOMS? ITG claims about 10 hp I read somewhere and most intakes advertise 6-10 hp. I reallize that a new intake gives you some nice sounds but why don't more people just get the ITG drop-in filter and save all the hassle of removing the stock intake?

P

plac

because a drop-in filter does NOT give you 10hp. maybe 2whp if youre LUCKY.

Bender1

Banned
Exactly.

Additionally the install really isn't a hassle. I bet even someone that has never worked on a car before could do it in 2 hours if you follow the directions.

Also - just have to say - that after almost two weeks of it being installed I still absolutely love it.