GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE CCB Intake Install and Review

90crvtec

Passed Driver's Ed
:thumbup: If I were to purchase an intake, this would be the one I would buy.

I like that it uses the factory airbox location and that it also uses the forced air port at the front of the grille. This looks like a very well designed product.

Does the AWE CCB intake have any vents/holes in the bottom of the airbox to allow rain water to evacuate the airbox? Similar to the OEM air intake vent that has a slot that dumps into the engine bay?

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup: If I were to purchase an intake, this would be the one I would buy.

I like that it uses the factory airbox location and that it also uses the forced air port at the front of the grille. This looks like a very well designed product.

Does the AWE CCB intake have any vents/holes in the bottom of the airbox to allow rain water to evacuate the airbox? Similar to the OEM air intake vent that has a slot that dumps into the engine bay?

There is 2 small holes on the bottom of the box

alchemis

i'm considering the AWE CCB vs APR stage 1... i know the difference is the manifold piping...

my biggest question will be.... the pipings.. do they really make much difference? or they are just a marketing to make us buy more parts?

stock intake pipes are already quite smooth. and considering flows rates,

- pipe diameter difference...the turbo inlet is fixed size, even if the pipes are slightly larger, turbine still sucks in same rate. like a 4 lane highway entering a bottle of 3 lane freeway.

- smoother flow, less turbulence... this one i'm not sure if it's measurable. it mathematical, yes, it has some value difference. but in term of performance, could it be 1 or 2 hp ?

does our turbine need that much air for 2nd stage remap?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
There is debate on the tubing. My 2 cents:

The tube itself probably doesn't add a ton of power (a tiny bit I bet) BUT the relocation of the MAF probably allows for MUCH more accurate readings. YMMV

What makes you think this? Just curious.

Bender1

Banned
I cannot recall who but "SOMEONE" was running the AWE K04 w/ GIAC tune with the full APR intake and was having issues until they switched it out with the AWE intake. I suspect that the APR tune is a bit less picky about MAF readings than the GIAC tune. Since APR brags about it being the safest tune, I have a feeling they allow a bit more margin of error than others.

Obviously this is all conjecture by a non-engineer but laminar flow would be increased by moving it downstream from any turbulence caused by the filter itself or bends in the piping.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I cannot recall who but "SOMEONE" was running the AWE K04 w/ GIAC tune with the full APR intake and was having issues until they switched it out with the AWE intake. I suspect that the APR tune is a bit less picky about MAF readings than the GIAC tune. Since APR brags about it being the safest tune, I have a feeling they allow a bit more margin of error than others.

Obviously this is all conjecture by a non-engineer but laminar flow would be increased by moving it downstream from any turbulence caused by the filter itself or bends in the piping.

I figured as much. GIAC tunes for locating the MAF further down the path which WOULD GIVE different readings than what the APR intake/BSH intake is looking for. APR tunes for stock MAF location. Thats why people normally have issues when running different intakes (Forge/AWE) with different tuning companies.

I feel though you did good by homogenizing your mods to your tuning company. Its something that needs to be done if you choose to follow a certain path.

Bender1

Banned
I feel though you did good by homogenizing your mods to your tuning company. Its something that needs to be done if you choose to follow a certain path.
Exactly - especially considering the strength of both AWE and APR there really is no reason not to stick with the parts that were designed and tested to work optimally together.

No reason to try and piece something together when engineers already figured it out for you.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
No reason to try and piece something together when engineers already figured it out for you.

QFT. Maybe more people will catch on :thumbsup:

Off Topic: Still considering FSDs?

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!

Will using an intake with GIAC Stage I that doesn't move the MAF cause me any issues??